NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Liking the album a lot so far. Not sure where it falls on my Bodom ranking list yet, though. I definitely disagree with anyone who says any songs feel like they belong on the first 3 albums - Maybe a solo or 2, and Kick in the/a Spleen's bridge, lol. Sounds like a mix of HoB, HCDR, and Blooddrunk, but still very much its own album. As you guys have said, the soundworld/overall album feeling are consistent and great.

First 7 tracks are killer imo, need to listen to the last 3 some more to really form an opinion. Solos are really great compared to recent albums from a breakneck/in your face perspective, but missing a bit of the structure/memorability. Maybe I'll change that opinion once I become more familiar.

Definitely better than IWC, though.

Whole Platitudes sounds to me like a song Daniel wrote and then Alexi changed some parts.

I just feel many guitar parts sound like Daniel more than like Alexi.
With all respect for Daniel, It's hardly doubtful that he had any right to say as the "new" member when it comes to composing. Especially when there's a narcissist like Alexi who would never let any other person wrote a whole song except himself.

Besides that, Henkka said in an interiew that Hexed is completely wrote by Alexi in the first place.

The soundworld on the album is really good. The songs themselves have too much repetition, and too few leads. As a whole the album is still pretty good. Miles better than IWC. Can't really compare with the other post-HCDR albums yet.

Last edited:
Besides that, Henkka said in an interiew that Hexed is completely wrote by Alexi in the first place.
I will never get that. How can you be a Band and only one Guy writes the Music?! I mean if it is only Vocals...but this?

Also in the Last breakdown from Alexi i kinda looks like their out of ideas, like there is no fun but they have to Release a new Album, watch closely Alexi!

It's a common thing. When I was in a band, I also wrote all the music.

You can identify bands by only a few seconds of listening and that's only possible if there's less than 2 or 3 songwriters.
Bodom wouldn't sound like Bodom if Alexi would let all the other bandmembers do the composing job and I bet that all of them are more than happy that none of them had to bear the brunt to work on new stuff.

I'm not sure, but I guess that even in Sinergy Alexi wrote all or most of the music

I would guess that Alexi entirely wrote Sinergy's music. I think Kim Goss wrote all of their lyrics. She wrote the lyrics to Next In Line, as well, which makes a lot of sense.

Arcane, you had mentioned earlier that you feel Alexi's solos as of late have been uninspired. Why is this? Can you give examples of solos, both bodom and non-bodom, that you feel are "inspired"? I personally like a lot of solos from recent albums, and find the likes of Scream for Silence, Bodom Blue Moon (second solo, not first shitty pentatonic solo), and Halo of Blood to be fantastic solos.

Did I wrote uninspired? I think not.

I'm not sure what happend exactly. At first I thought that his solos adapted to the new (new= since 2005) hardness of the songs, because since AYDY the songs are heavier, trashier, harder,... I thought there's no place for melodies because there are no simple rhythm parts under a solo like in HB or FTR, but I was wrong. The rhythm guitar under BBT is hard as fuck and without any melody but nevertheless Alexi put a solo without peer over it.

And with RRF and the two awesome solos of NMF and Ugly I thought yes! He's back!

I was wrong again. I can't tell what happend. The ugly solo is one of the best solos I've heard in my live but anything after is just garbage most of the time.

But if you think your mentioned solos are great, than I'm fine with it. This is just my personal und subjective opinion. But some people are not be able to handle criticsm against their idol and wish me aids before my 40ies.

I will give more thorough feedback later but so far i absolutely love this album and definitely put it up with the best Bodom has done. Definitely the best since HCDR. It is clear they put a real effort into this album. The brooding atmosphere is intense. I don’t know why people are saying it doesn’t have leads. It has leads everywhere. And what repitition? Every song is unique and almost all have an epic refrain or interlude that is just as good as the best I have ever heard them put together. The only song that sounds incomplete to me is PABW, I like it a lot but I believe it still needed some tweeking.

Under Grass and Platitudes both have some repetition issues but everything else is solid. Glass Houses is still my favorite song right now which is surprising to me because I believe it has the biggest flaw on the album (which is the abrupt end to the second solo). If that was a bit longer this song would be 10/10 and up there with some of Bodom's more modern classics (Bodom Blue Moon, Widdershins, All Twisted, etc.)

Of course the guy with creativity writes the music. Unless the band exists only to have fun. If somebody else wants to contribute his shitty ideas then he should start his own project. It's just remarkable how bad most people are with understanding how to create the right type of mood in any kind of art.

I mean, Daniel wrote a lot of cool songs with Naildown, so Alexi isn't the only one with creativity. I don't think his ideas in Naildown were shitty either. They've got some really cool riffs and melodies. Honestly, I think if Daniel were at least allowed to help out with the writing this album might be better (not that it's bad).

They recorded Circle Regenerated in Autumn 2010, Daniel joined in mid (?) 2009 as a live guitarist and was a full member as of early 2010. So its possible that he contributed towards the album.

I'm still so fuckin tired but holy fuck, thursday was one of the best days ever! Met so many cool bodom fans!!

Alexi and Daniel were on radio rock talking pretty much through the whole day, so I could listen to them on the bus while going to Helsinki.
I went to Sanomatalo a little bit too early because I overestimated the time it would take me to find it. So I grabbed a coffee from the lobby cafe and headed out for a cigarette and ran into Jaska, Daniel and Alexi! Just said hi quickly and went out for a cigarette bc I would meet them again in an hour in the pre listening. It was pretty funny sitting in the lobby listening to their interview on Radio Rock with headphones while they were literally 5 meters away behind a glass wall talking. I met some new friends who were queuing for the meet&greet already like four hours before.

The pre-listrning was so great! There was probably ten of us and we were taken into the Radio Rock studios into a big room that had a long table full of beer,cider and chips :D The band came in to greet us before we got to hear the album. They fuckin remembered me and Janne hugged me like "Well we've never met before lol" :D They talked a bit to introduce the album and walked around the room to greet each fan personally. Then they left the room and let us listen to the album. Everyone was just quietly concentrating on the music, which I really appreciated. I could only hear people tapping their feet on the floor.

Then the band came back and we could ask stuff about the album. I was honestly too excited to remember anything anyone asked but I talked about the keyboards a bit with Janne and asked Alexi if there was any movies that inspired him on this album even though there isn't any specific quotes. He said the movie quotes had kind of become something he was a little tired of so he didn't want to force it there and on this album there wasn't any specific movie that inspired him.
A meeting like this was such a great thing really! To see the band so proud of the new album and eager to hear opinions and answer questions was really nice!
After that there was the meet & greet and I got a CD and a poster signed. Didn't have that much time to talk to them there but these guys are seriously the nicest people ever.
Met Daniel and Jaska again at the Riff and talked a bit longer and took pictures. The rest of them didn't come which was a bit weird bc Riff had been kinda advertising an album release party. BUT it's fine I mean they spent the whole day hangin out with fans so obviously you can be a bit tired and wanna go home. Was a super fun night!!

Worth it definitely even though I had to go to work straight from the Riff. Awake from 6am thursday morning to 3am Saturday. After work I just went for a "couple" beers with friends bc I was too hyper to sleep lol

And I'd say the album was better than I could expect. Favorite songs are Hexed, Hecate and Platitudes. So glad to see a bit more of the 90's melodies sorta stuff. But as I said earlier I didn't want a return to the 90s but an album with it's own specific sound and era. I think we got that. Hexed definitely has a bit of a HOB feeling here and there but it's better than the last 3 albums combined.

I was thinking do they actually read this thread :D I mean we talked about the pre-listening here and I remember saying I want a horror themed video like Sixpounder or Everytime I Die and well we got the Platitudes video.

Last edited:
^We've also talked loads about soundworlds (Or at least Joonas has), and suddenly the album has a great soundworld :D Almost makes me feel bad about talking shit about IWC all the time :D

Also, sounds like you had a really nice day, meeting everyone, getting to listen to the album etc.