NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

That's what I thought... Shit. What kind of cancer? A friend of mine died last year because of pancreas cancer - 11 days after he got the diagnosis.

I’m sorry for your loss! I myself don’t know any further details. I’d suddenly found out a while ago through a mutual friend and didn’t feel right to ask more :/

Back to the album, if anyone gets their hands on a physical copy of the deluxe version(or has already done so), I was wondering where the live versions of IWC and Morrigan were recorded?
I’ve searched the internets and couldn’t find anything, I wanna know wether they’re from a show I attended

I like the guitar sound in the solos. Apart from that the song is a lazy joke. The ending is unacceptable for Bodom, to fade away like that. Slow bass solo is nice, but so weird for them. There's doublebass speed, but no creativity in the song. And that violin section is not dark and it's unfitting. And the intro riff is from Hypocrisy.

Knuckleduster is partly better, partly worse. Biggest change is of course lyrics, and I must say the new ones are not better overall, only in some sections, these sound tongue-in-cheek. As long as they play it live I'm happy. The power in this song is amazing, and it works with the synth and guitar sounds of this album. I like the cymbal at the intro, it's kickass and wicked. The guitar solo sounds amazing, especially the 2nd one, it's got a nice vibe, almost country. The chorus riff sounds nice, almost sad in some way which I like. And that one minute intro was hidden at the end of this track. I'm just left disappointed with the tongue-in-cheek lyrics and vocals, this song couldn't afford them. The first verse lyrics are cool tho. The mongering rhyme is kinda strange, it's all around the place. Now we need another remix that would combine the goods sides of both recordings...

I dig how they use only bass and minimal guitar in 0:37, gives it a cool ultraheavy vibe. But the 1:12 riff was better in the original with the keyboard making it seem huge.

Last edited:
Hecate's Nightmare, I like the elision feeling in the song, the parts meld together unseemingly. There's cool little things going on and they've invested in the soundworld. This is like bombing with a wicked sidetaste. But I've personally drifted to a slightly different style of metal.

Glass Houses I initially liked the intro. And I respect they've brought speed and melodicy back. Sounds like it's fun stuff to play. Just doesn't quite whip the mattress away under my feet.

Kick in a Spleen I like the section after 0:40 or so, they've accomplished a cool stoner-psychic soundworld with the keyboard sound and guitar tone, it's like a gloomy lamp behind hazy fog. At the last chorus too it's nice. Otherwise it's not the right choice of tool to impress me, but I get it's probably making many people satisfied. Solos are stylish too, just not crossing the barricade to epicness.

They've done a terrific job with adjusting keyboard soundworld and guitar tone to create the right atmosphere for this album. That's good tho, cos otherwise I'd have to force myself to listen thru it. To be honest, half the time I'm bored to death. Half the time the stuff is good tho. It's a solid record for sure, just not one of the epic ones. It's what I expected. I think it goes on par with Halo of Blood, this one has a better soundworld but maybe Halo is a bit more hooky in songwriting.

Last edited:
Relapse I like the disco melody from 0:50-, but it's not enough to save the song.

Say Never and Departed did nothing to me.

Really good thing they took time to create a great soundworld for this album, will at least cut it some slack. It's like a lion with dull fangs and claws; it sounds great but the sharp hooks are missing. Almost make me sad, cos for once they have really great sounds.

It's also a dangerous if you create a great soundworld AT FIRST. It might inspire you, BUT you kinda settle for it. Starting off with a simple soundworld ensures you focus on musical creativity. Of course there are bands that are all about a certain soundworld, but Bodom isn't one of them.

Knuckleduster is the best. Hecate's Nightmare is a clear 2nd, very potential song that unfortunately hides the claws it promises to reveal. I can't describe it better, it's furious, memorable and breathtaking like a lion's slap in the face, but with the claws kept hidden and concealed. The rest of the songs come far far behind.

It sounds they're enjoying playing it, and if they're satisfied then it's fine.

Last edited:
So, I got around to listening to the album, and I have to say, I am REALLY digging it. I had liked the singles (This Road was meh, but it is kind of growing on me), but holy moly are some of the new songs great!

I am definitely not a "ballady" person, and Soon Departed does not really cut it for me, but Hexed and Kick In The Spleen are for me instant classics, and Glass Houses is also really good. I will need some more listens, but overall I have a really good feeling.

I do agree with Arcane, it looks like Alexi's creativity as far as solos are concerned either stayed behind in Australia, or he's not that interested anymore, or whatever it is, but they are now very seldomly inspired. There are a couple though where I would like to know if it is actually Alexi or if Daniel has some solos of his own in this album.

It does look like Alexi nowadays takes lyrics and singing much more seriously: the lyrics are much clearer and defined (not only in the album itself but on the two live songs, live songs used to be Alexi just "wah wah whatcha fuck shit go go", on this two songs the playing is good, and the lyrics are identifiable as the actual lyrics to the song, which is a boost.

The odd thing with the song Hexed is, that everybody seems to like it. But why?

It has no melody at all, the riffs are ok but nothing special. The song could be a Halo of Blood song. I don't get it.

Ok, the ending is totally awesome. But seriously - there's nothing special with this song at all. It's fast, hard, lacks melodies, leads are 'ok', has that one neo-classical Bodom riff (the neo-riffs on HB and FTR are still better) and the most epic ending ever.

I wouldn't say it is nothing special (I have the feeling we keep waiting for some mystic "special" Bodom riff, which nobody is really sure what it should be), it has a bit of everything, and what I find most important in a song, it flat out WORKS! It is beginning to end balls-to-the-wall good, and 100% Bodom. To me the best song they have written in a while.

Every song almost starts off the same pretty much, which is a minus.

I think Alexi understood at some point his speciality lies in songwriting. He reached the needed technical level for this kind of music already with FTR. So he stopped aspiring to impress the world as the next Vai or Malmsteen. And maybe he just likes riffing more than soloing these times.

Knuckleduster lyrics:

"
Walls are closing in on me
Hear the clock ticking
But time is standing still for me
Used... or did you say abused?
Makes no difference to me
Can we agree to disagree?

I would rather tune out
Than open up my mind
To be placed in your little faction
No... pick another time
Choose another day
And a place if it's another interaction

Roughed up, rundown
Gave in to giving up
You can take it out on me
Cos I don't give a fuck!

Hey! Did I ever ask you
To step on my toes?
Face the knuckleduster
And you'll end up six feet under
Thou shalt not kill is what they say
But I swear we'll see the day
To bring you down
And you will end up six feet under"

"(__Joonas__)..just not crossing the barricade to epicness..

Agreed. That's why I didn't give the track Hexed a perfect score.

For me, this album is getting close to reaching that epic level of the top 3 albums, but still a clear level below. The reason I think is the album is lacking lead guitar. When you listen to the song FTR, it goes from lead section to lead section to lead section. They're entrancing lead sections, too. The title track is close but it's still missing that crucial element. Also the solos from the top 3 albums are just straight up better.

I feel like this album is the best rhythm guitar of all of the albums, though. If Alexi could somehow merge the rhythm from this album with the leads from the top 3..

Knuckleduster riffs 0:37 - 0:41 and 2:47 - 2:53 are emotional perfection for me, my heart drops everytime and my eyes get wet from tears, I'm literally trying not to cry, because it helps my mind to dig up deeply rooted sorrow and intolerable anger that has never been unraveled. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I need a puff from my e-cig.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Norbix, post: 11811493, member: 87409"
I feel like this album is the best rhythm guitar of all of the albums, though. If Alexi could somehow merge the rhythm from this album with the leads from the top 3..[/QUOTE]
Uhm, no.

There are way better riffs in the older albums. From a technical aspect, I would say this album has the easiest rhythm guitar parts. BUT this album has by far the fastest rhythm guitars and songs. There are barely songs under 180bpm and the slower ones use triplets.

After a few listenings the only thing what really stuck in my head (or what rembember) are triplets or fast picking on the open E string.

But I could be wrong... maybe this album is full of great riffs which I didn't recognize yet... I really need to do some tabs.

Reactions: MaximHateCrew
Well for me, the rhythm on this album is the most audibly pleasing. It's probably not the most technical, but it "works" the best for me if that makes sense. There's a gotta be a balance between technical and song-serving. Like in my opinion the chorus to Hexed is ridiculously simple, but it works perfectly in the song. Same with the breakdown/interludes for the songs Kick in a/the spleen and say never look back.

A whole day later I'm sticking with my position on the track "Hexed". It's a brilliant song. I think it's just missing a lead only section, like 2min at follow the reaper.