New Album Title!

Lugnut

Jun 24, 2008
From Blabbermouth

Swedish Viking metallers AMON AMARTH have set "Twilight of the Thundergod" as the title of their seventh full-length album, due this fall via Metal Blade Records. The CD title was revealed by AMON AMARTH frontman Johan Hegg during an interview with the "Tinitus" radio show, which airs on Norway's P3.

"Twilight of the Thundergod" was recorded at Fascination Street Studio in Örebro, Sweden and will include such songtitles as "Guardians of Asgaard", "Live for the Kill" and "Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags".

The sixth part of the band's studio video diary — featuring the band packing up and heading home for two weeks during the mixing process — can be viewed below.

To make the wait a bit more entertaining, Metal Blade has launched an exclusive web site with lots of features. The site will be updated with more information about AMON AMARTH's forthcoming CD, starting off with an exclusive AMON AMARTH comic strip attack that is brought to you not only by this exclusive web site, but also by several print magazines all over Europe.

I like it, but all I can do is shake my head that blabbermouth once again was the informer before the band was. They shoulda released it over their site and Then radio shows and whatever else. But anyways, I cannot wait for this bad boy :)

Twilight of the Thundergod will be one of if not the best metal release this year:headbang:
GODDAMN they kick ass:kickass:

I'm really psyched for the album. Can't say I particularly love the title, but I really don't give a fuck, because the moment I get the CD I will rip it from it's packaging and put it in it's permanent place in a boombox I have come to call the Amon Amarth, since it's only purpose is to bring Amon Amarth into my home.

What are you guys talking about, I think it's a awesome album title. Sounds to me like maybe it could be a concept type album. I don't think AA would do that though.

I think the title fuckin' rules.

I don't know much about mythology, but i think the meaning is akin to Götterdämmerung in German/Deutsch legend, which is also the name of an opera by Richard Wagner.

Ever since I heard "The Last with Pagan Blood," I've pretty much held AA as a sort of 21st century heavy metal version of Wagner. I thus find the title of their new album to be entirely fitting. And awesome. :headbang:

oh, and by the way, if you're wondering why the idea of a viking metal band making an album called Twilight of the Thundergod seems so familiar...
pip16epd.jpg

Maybe it's because it's been done before.
Tbh, I'm completely neutral on the title. None of their titles have been particularly amazing (except "Once Sent From The Golden Hall," which was just plain badass). It didn't stop the albums from kicking far more ass than many other albums with much cooler names.
EDIT: pic didn't display, sorry.

I like it, but all I can do is shake my head that blabbermouth once again was the informer before the band was.
all blabbermouth did was report that johann announced the title on a radio show though.

maybe the title 'twilight of the thundergod' is foreshadowing that amon amarth are just about done with all the viking imagery, and are returning to their death metal/ satanic roots.... NOT!

i would stop short of calling 'versus the world' a concept album because it's missing the most basic element of utter pretentiousness, but i think there's definitely a thread, or a chronology, weaving from song to song throughout that album.

anyway, i bought a megamillions ticket today, so there's a one in 1,346,231,023 chance i'll be hitting up the nye run....

I hope not. Wagner was an asshole.

It's ridiculous to judge people from the past based on the moral criteria of today. Vikings were assholes too based if we judge them that way.

Wagner was a man of his time. And a musical genius.

So when i compare Amon Amarth to Wagner, it's actually one of the highest compliments i can think of for a band whose motif is Germanic mythology.

Wagner was a proto-Nazi. His music is fine, but I don't see Amon Amarth endorsing any of his ideas. They take a borderline pathological anti-Christian stance (pretty standard issue) and write about it in a Viking context, but I don't really see them being too into the whole Viking thing - Johan has said, I believe, that they do it because you have to sing about something and Vikings make for great death metal lyrics.

A lot of things were misappropriated by the forenamed shitheads. I'm not a big Wagner fan, but I do respect his work. As for how that would relate to AA, fucked if I know. But AA sure wouldn't seem right singing about anything else, the old stories and old ways are definitely metal, imo.

Definitely. Their music is too aggressive for DT-style metaphysical stuff, but too melodic and thrashing for typical DM lyrics.

I'm really psyched for the album. Can't say I particularly love the title, but I really don't give a fuck, because the moment I get the CD I will rip it from it's packaging and put it in it's permanent place in a boombox I have come to call the Amon Amarth, since it's only purpose is to bring Amon Amarth into my home.

The title is kinda...plain...

I thought I was alone there :lol:
Yeah.
Don't love the title. But I can only hope that it won't fucking matter due the unending awesome that will blast out of the speakers.