New Album Title!

Twilight of the Gods and Twilight of the Thundergod. It seems this album will be focusing alot on Thor then! It can only be powerful! If we can judge by the comic, we will visit the main legends featuring Thor, till his Twilight -*> Ragnarök. I think its gonna be absolutely awesome!

As for Wagner, the 19th century was shaped by the rising of all european national conscience, through romanticism and such. He wasnt the sole artist to look back at the past (again) and rewrite it in a new fashionable way and put it to date in the idea of promoting one's country. Like Beave said, he was a man of his time and a musical genius.
The fact that theres a discussion about AA taking on making up an album about subjects that Wagner and/or nazist used in the last century is totally wrong since we know that nazism did nothing but use norse myths at their own liking, as propaganda and agenda : one of the main reason why today's ignorant ppl think that paganism is close to nazism - which is not (just go read the mythology and all that goes with it thread)

that being said, i cant wait for this album to come out!!!

Twilight of the Gods and Twilight of the Thundergod. It seems this album will be focusing alot on Thor then! It can only be powerful! If we can judge by the comic, we will visit the main legends featuring Thor, till his Twilight -*> Ragnarök. I think its gonna be absolutely awesome!

As for Wagner, the 19th century was shaped by the rising of all european national conscience, through romanticism and such. He wasnt the sole artist to look back at the past (again) and rewrite it in a new fashionable way and put it to date in the idea of promoting one's country. Like Beave said, he was a man of his time and a musical genius.
The fact that theres a discussion about AA taking on making up an album about subjects that Wagner and/or nazist used in the last century is totally wrong since we know that nazism did nothing but use norse myths at their own liking, as propaganda and agenda : one of the main reason why today's ignorant ppl think that paganism is close to nazism - which is not (just go read the mythology and all that goes with it thread)

Well said, Erzebeth. Bloody well said. :)

Wagner's music has stood the test of time. I bet if i tuned into a classical music radio right now it wouldn't be long before Wagner turned up in the rotation. There are Wagner societies all over the world and i imagine people will be listening to his music as long as humans exist.

@ WeAreInFlames -

Don't be that person who shrieks "Nazi" over every little thing. I never said AA were endorsing racism or antisemitism. We all know they have stated in no uncertain terms that they do not subscribe to nazism in any way, shape, or form. So calm down and lighten up. ;)

They take a borderline pathological anti-Christian stance (pretty standard issue) and write about it in a Viking context, but I don't really see them being too into the whole Viking thing - Johan has said, I believe, that they do it because you have to sing about something and Vikings make for great death metal lyrics.

This is all rubbish too. They hit the nail right on the fuckin' head with "A Thousand Years of Oppression." And if you don't think the sentiment in the song isn't relevent today then i'd ask you to come visit Colorado Springs, where you'll find aspiring Christian theocrats in no short supply.

And with all the poetry and passion that helps to define AA's music, I think their interest in Norse mythology goes a bit beyond the desire to sell more records. They ain't fucking posers, which is one of the reasons why i think they're pretty much the best in the business these days. They strike me as being genuinely proud Scandinavians and there's nothing wrong or "Nazi" about that.

And then there's people like me who know nothing about Viking mythology or who this Wagner guy is, and first listened too AA because Viking = Metal
:)

Simplicity is bliss my friends.

@ WeAreInFlames -

Don't be that person who shrieks "Nazi" over every little thing. I never said AA were endorsing racism or antisemitism. We all know they have stated in no uncertain terms that they do not subscribe to nazism in any way, shape, or form. So calm down and lighten up. ;)

This is all rubbish too. They hit the nail right on the fuckin' head with "A Thousand Years of Oppression." And if you don't think the sentiment in the song isn't relevent today then i'd ask you to come visit Colorado Springs, where you'll find aspiring Christian theocrats in no short supply.

And with all the poetry and passion that helps to define AA's music, I think their interest in Norse mythology goes a bit beyond the desire to sell more records. They ain't fucking posers, which is one of the reasons why i think they're pretty much the best in the business these days. They strike me as being genuinely proud Scandinavians and there's nothing wrong or "Nazi" about that.
First off, I'm not saying AA are Nazis, I just think it's odd to compare them to one. I'm not the internet police or anything, and I'm not freaking out, but I don't admire Wagner.
Secondly, I'm sorry but I find the level of anti-Christian sentiment present in most metal to be comical, AA being no exception. I don't like Christianity, either the church, which is corrupt and hypocritical, or the ideology, which mixes basic human decency ("don't kill people for no reason") with weakness ("turn the other cheek") and an obsession with sin (actually, that wasn't part of Jesus' message, that's the spin it's gotten from the church...)...basically, I don't like it at all. I find Islam and Judaism both slightly better but also unattractive.
However, I think most of the sentiments AA have professed in their music with regard to christianity are absurd. Being sad that Christianity replaced paganism and traditional Viking culture is fine and noble, but I think that Bathory's "One Rode To Asa Bay" made anything attempting to convey that sentiment redundant (imo). Anyhow, I strongly doubt that the band really stands by the lyrics of songs like Masters of War ("Rape every whore that carries the cross!") or Victorious March ("No man has spared. no house or farm remains. no christian woman unraped their church consumed by flames") (great songs, btw). As a portrayal of Scandinavian life at the time it's still over-the-top. I don't think they mean most of their lyrics to be taken literally. They mean them as a celebration of Scandinavian culture before the Christianization.
And I didn't mean to imply that the band were posers or did it to sell records, I just mean that if you went to Johan's house you wouldn't find a bunch of swords and drinking horns on the walls and a longship in the garage.