new album

Bored

Jul 21, 2004
i think it would be intersting if mikeal pulls out a 7 string for a track or 2 on the so called "black metal" album.. any thuoghts?

i don't think so...just keep in mind that they only detuned their guitars on a couple of songs so far : Blackwater Park and Demon Of The Fall for example...
i think they just don't need it..

i know they detune on those songs.. but i still think mikeal can come up with some really wierd chords with a 7 string as stefan mentioned.

maybe if they were going to write brutal death riffs...but even then i think its rather fruitless.

i dont see what your idea of "black metal" has anything to do with 7 strings. if you can name a black metal album with a 7 string in it, ill give you $20.00

and for the record, ill stab anyone who mentions "prometheus" by emperor. :Smug:

i cant really name one .. that doesnt mean that its a bad idea to do it though.. i mean opeth is about experimentation . and what i meant was since its gonna be a black metal album so to speak having a 7 string string for a track for example with low tunings could be nice perhaps? who knows?

LordHypnos said:
maybe if they were going to write brutal death riffs...but even then i think its rather fruitless.

i dont see what your idea of "black metal" has anything to do with 7 strings. if you can name a black metal album with a 7 string in it, ill give you $20.00

and for the record, ill stab anyone who mentions "prometheus" by emperor. :Smug:

Fuck, I was just about to name that one. :) :erk:

nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo 7 strings. If you want Akerfeldt and 7 strings listen to Edge of sanity - Crimson. I'm sorry, they just don't belong in Opeth and most importantly BLACK METAL.

Exactly. A seven string is generally just used badly - very few of the bands who use one really need the extra heaviness. I just can't see Opeth doing that. And besides, black metal is more about speed than bottom-end. Although Hypnos, I dunno what you have against Prometheus whether they use a 7 string or not, it was a great album.

i didnt have anything against the album...i just didnt want people bringing that up as a "black metal" example, since its not a black metal album...

but the collective IQ on this forum seems to be dropping at a rapid pace, so i should probably stick to posting recipes for macaroni and cheese, in hopes to not further confuse the members here.