NEW ALBUM??

TWO? Only 2??? I don't agree with you. I'm not a blind fool and follower, but I think you must take the other 2 albums into account as well: Sahara and El norra alila...

Every OL album has a different flavor and every fan has a different taste.

And so every fan has a different preferences when it comes to the albums. For example you see most metalheads favoring Mabool for it's brilliant guitar solos and riffs, while you see me favoring El Norra Alila for the extreme Oriental influence (since I'm a big fan of Oriental music).
so you see different people come with different tastes and preferences.

Hehehe obviously you know that already, but oh well felt like posting...

anyways yes... all three albums are brilliant, and favoring one album above the rest doesn't change the fact that all are masterpieces. :D

Ofcourse Mabool is the album that set OL on the map for a bigger audience. Surely it is much more melodic that the previous ones, so more accesible for pple that are less into ' extreme' metal.
But the funny part is that when you hear the old songs played, they sound a lot different from the tracks on the album, since OL has the habit of rewriting their material and change it to their new outlook on an old song. Rarely ( probably never actually) have I seen another band where every tour their own songs are sounding different. It really keeps things interesting and also makes the older songs stay fresh and sometimes more melodic. I especially love how they brought the songs from el norra back to an even more rootsy sound.

Also they have worled with quite a number of different guest musicians on the stage who also bring their instrument/ voice to the color of the song. Sometimes Shlomit is with them (mostly in Israel), sometimes not and then the songs are different and vocal parts change. There were even shows when I saw them with Miri, she is the former female vocalist of Distorted (in 2004 at RTN and in 2005 Greece) doing the female vocal parts. Also I've seen them play with Yatziv (percussionist) and he gets some highlights onstage... I've seen 25 shows and can say that they were very varied as to how the material sounded. They just know how to keep things intresting show after show. I cannot wait to hear and see the next one.

@Morticia: True, Mabool is so versatile: a perfect blend of power/death/folk metal (The Birth of The Three, Oceal Land, The Kiss Of Babylon), progressive metal (Halo Dies, The Flood), folk (A'Salk, Building the Ark, Rainbow) and classical music (The Calm Before the Flood, The Flood). A perfectly experimental mix, just like all other albums ;)

I think that's absolutely wonderful the guys are not afraid to elaborate their masterpieces even further and to make each live performance unique. In this respect they are very close to my other absolute favorite bands - Liquid Tension Experiment and Dream Theater. Their concerts are sometimes 20% - 80% improvisations.

I also heard a piece of "Nora El Norra" in "Find Yourself, Discover God" outro and a piece of "Joy" in "A'Salk" on "Mabool".
Dream Theater also take pieces of their older albums and elaborate them more on their new releases. For example, once they unfolded one song "Metropolis" of 10 minutes duration into an album "Metropolis pt. 2" (77 minutes duration) :)

I like Dream Theater, I just wish the band as a whole had more showmanship.
As for OL, I'm looking forward to some unknown day in the future when I will see them live.

I like Dream Theater, I just wish the band as a whole had more showmanship.

Agreed, their shows in 1995/ 96 were intersting and full of energy. In later years I found them to grow old and tired on the stage. Also they have suffered from having horrible crowds at their show who seem to 'cool' to show that they enjoy the performance. Instead they talk during the whole show to show off how much they 'understand' about music. PFFFFF
Music is a celebration, a show is celebrating the music together- not a place to have elaborate discussion on the 5 first notes that were played.

*jajaja, offtopic goes on :D*
My favorite DT performances are 1998-2004, esp. Budokan and Scenes From New-York. I agree that the latest ones are not as impressive, and I guess the name of the problem is "John James".

Getting back to Orphaned Land, it's interesting how different the "El Norra Alila" and live versions of "El Meod Na'Ala" sound.
Totally different songs, 1st version is an extreme oriental metal anthem, 2nd a rock rendition of a cheerful wedding song (or a sacred chant when performed with Shlomit) :)