new album

tit

Jun 15, 2002
www.blackmetal.com
vintersorg "visions from the spiral generator" 10 out of 10

by far one of this years best. after many many listens you can see that vintersorg has taken elements he learned in borknagar and incorporated it into his own style. Be it askegir on the drums (borknagar) or digorgio on bass (death,testament), this album flows like one smooth ride from beginning to finish. no longer the poppy power metal material that was "cosmic genesis," "visions" is in an entire league of its own. catchy riffs, mesmorizing and memorable choruses and vintersorg has risen his range even more with his clean singing and still no overdubbing like simen from dimmu. if you can get thru it the first time and know what this album is about you missed it. go back and listen to the catchy chorus. departed from his traditional writing style, perhaps with real musicians this time, this is where vintersorg really shines. epic, gallant, passionate, brutal all in one paragraph. well constructed and well written song makes the sample placed on his site seem rather mundane, then again the best parts of the song is after where it cuts off. overall, one of the contender for album of the year, you can hear arcturus elements recently featured in "the sham mirrors" a record like this comes once in a musicians career, for vintersorg, this is such a record. priceless.

VISION is obviously great but i think that CG is also great!

the great difference between them is the production and the use of real bass and drums in VISION!:D

COSMIC GENESIS have great songwriting and some passages are really touching!

:cool:

great review, tho I disagree about the poppy power metal phrase. I think CG was far from power metal, while it had upbeat moments it was brutal as well (Algol, AstralnArcane (moments) ) Its one of V's Best IMO. I really loved CG, more so than Visions, but Im still actually listening to it more and its growing on me so well see ;)

Clearly Vintersorg did this album for himself.. concidering some parts of the vocals.. but that's good.. an album should be made for yourself and not for what the audience think...

the problem is that you need a dictionary to understand all the words..

I still think Cosmic Genesis is a more mature and wellplayed album...even with all the miss-spellings in the booklet

And everyone: Don't ever say again that Vision is good BECAUSE it has other musicians on it!

A nd It has always been real bass on his albums!!! And he was really good at programming his drumming! Just stop trashing the other albums!!

Originally posted by niniel
And everyone: Don't ever say again that Vision is good BECAUSE it has other musicians on it!

A nd It has always been real bass on his albums!!! And he was really good at programming his drumming! Just stop trashing the other albums!!

also keep your own opinion, you dont need to tell us what we should enjoy etc.

F_V (hopefully flame wars dont erupt in every thread concerning VFTSP :p )

P.S *thinks everything V has done is a masterpiece :)

Originally posted by Smekermann
I also think on Visions, Mr. V really improved his guitar playing as well as his songwriting skills... might have something to do with being in Borknagar as well. Heh. Either way, his guitar playing is really good on the new album. Better than his previous efforts, in my opinion.

Yeah, this is something I noticed as well. The guitar
is tighter, and the riffs are better. I like it a lot :eek:)

But.....
I just think Visions is best album yet (and hardest one to accept... guess that's why the album's been getting so much flak)

I think it's cause it's the new album, and as always
someone will like it someone wont. This time around
we have a messageboard where people speak their
mind :eek:)

So, some say this is a board to express our opinions, but why then are you telling me to shut up about mine! Fashos!

And, I only meant to say that having good musicians means nothing if you don't have a good songwriter... So, I'm just telling you not to give too much credit to the ones who aren't doing most of the work. The album is goocd because Mr V was and still is a good songwriter. I couldn't care less about what famous musician's playing on it. Would it be even better if he got Satrianni or Vai or even Malmsteen? Don't want to offend anyone there, but I give the credit to V mostly, and if I am wrong, well, it is only V that can prove me wrong! Maybe the others did have a meaningful participation in the songwriting, but why aren't they credited for it if it is the case!!!!

And I never said anything to tell you what to like and what not. Im saying what I like and what I don't, only hoping to share my opinions and to discuss them in a civilized way! Do you get it now?????

P.S. Wouldn't Malmsteen-like shredding be horrible in Vintersorg??? He does have a good working knowledge of his guitar, but I hate it....what about you guys????

Or is it futile to say my opinion and hope for constructive exchanges with you guys 'caus you've decided I am the new punching bag of the board?????

So, some say this is a board to express our opinions, but why then are you telling me to shut up about mine! Fashos!

Or is it futile to say my opinion and hope for constructive exchanges with you guys 'caus you've decided I am the new punching bag of the board?????

See, this sounds like you're taking Smek far too seriously. As in you're listening to him at all. I suggest you invest in the "Ignore List." It's worked wonders for me. Much less stress.

P.S. Wouldn't Malmsteen-like shredding be horrible in Vintersorg??? He does have a good working knowledge of his guitar, but I hate it....what about you guys????

Chill out- it's just that saying "And everyone: Don't ever say again that Vision is good BECAUSE it has other musicians on it!" is kinda strong in the you-must-do-this department (weather you mean't it that way or not), so it's not unexpected some people have a problem with it (I'm not one, I don't really care).
I would disagree with you though, I do think a good supporting cast enhances things. Asgier (sorry if I spelt that wrong) has a definite personality to his playing, as does Steve, and even if neither wrote any of the songs, they absolutely contributed to the overall music. I'm sure V wasn't standing over them saying "you must do this" the whole time- I mean, half the reason you'd get Steve to play in the first place is because of the bass lines he creates. And Asgeir (I spelt it the other way this time, so I get it right atlest once :p) has some cool cymbal work, among other things, that V absolutely wouldnt have programmed if he had done it himself. So what I'm taking a long time to say ;) is that everyone contributes to a song even if they didn't write it.

And Yngwie is god. :headbang: :headbang:

The songs were finished when we first heard them. So 99% credit goes to Mr.V by all means. He writes the stuff that inspires us to play what we did. I'm only going to claim 1% of the credit of a good sounding album for me and Asgeir because we're not programmed - we're human! And for the listener, human ears can tell the difference between human performance and programmed performance. So having a real drummer and bass player is only an advantage in feel and sound over programmed parts. The songs would still be great if Mr.V did the album like the others. Although...I should give him .5% back of the 1% I'm claiming because afterall - he's the one who chose us!

maybe i'm dumb but ...:p

only now i have realized that you are Steve

however you have realized a masterpiece with Mr. V.

this album in some parts (expecially e.s.p. mirage)remind of the cosmic feeling of Sun RA.
sometimes you play relly like free jazz in it...

one of the greatest work till' A VISION OF MISERY!:D

thank you!:)

P.S.good nick Hippie of Doom but what does it mean the 13th monkey maybe a connection with the movie" twelve monkeys"