New Album

JohnMS

Mar 24, 2003
Münster, Germany
Visit site
Hej!

I ran out to a local cd shoppy so early today, that they hadn't had time to unpack the new parcels. Anyway, they found the new Katatonia for me.... :)

And, what can I say? Is there anything to say? Can anything be said? Guys, it's just one hell of a brilliant album. I'm gobsmacked. Hope to have you here soon.

Cheers,

John

I´m going to a Cd store this evening after work...but something tells me I won´t find Viva Emptiness...ahhh I really hope it will be already there!

My favourites are Will I Arrive and Evidence. But really the whole album is great! Wealth is probably the only one I'm not massively keen on, but even then, it's still good!

It's nice that everyone who's replied here has mentioned different songs as their favourites. Shows that it's a strong album really.

I'm suprised that the only comments so far have been positive. I am actually a bit disapointed with the album. I was really looking foward to it and after having had Criminals, Evidence and Complicity as mp3's for a while I thought the new album could be one of Katatonias best. However after listening to the album I was suprised at how incredibly nu-metal sounding some of the songs were and also that some of Jonas vocals are a bit crap (such as a few bits in sleeper where he strains his voice and doesn't hit the notes properly. Also despite quite liking Omerta, just as the song gets going it abruptly stops in a really odd way. Why?)
Dont get me wrong, I don't want to bad mouth the new album after only listening to it twice, I am sure it will grow on me, but like I said on initial impressions I am a bit dissapointed.

I have to admit I've been reading comments using the word "nu-metal" on here for a while, and I have absolutely no idea where they come from. It is because Jonas uses the F-word a few times? Is it because the songs are catchy? I really don't get where it all comes from. The songs are much more complex than any nu-metal I've heard, and as Mr Cathedral above said, there's no rap, songs about breaking stuff, and not an american in sight. But still, call it what you will, the only word I'll be using is "excellent".

People seem to be very unfamiliar with the true meaning of the term "nu-metal". It does not mean to have rap, the country of origin does not matter, despite you all thinking Nu-Metal has to come from America and it does not mean heavy.
It is a certain style of playing featuring down tuned guitars and a certain style of riffing, it is very difficult to explain however if you listen to Korn, Linkin park, Papa Roach, Deftones etc. they all share this style of riffing which Viva Emptiness also has on most of its tracks.
Nu Metal was invented by Sepultura on their Roots album, at least that was when the term was first used to describe music and understandably so if you compare it to their previous efforts.
This riffing style has a somewhat commercial sound though it does not have to be commercial music, Sepultura created this sound in order to gain new fans and become more popular and it worked!

and if Katatonia was nu-metal id own every bands album you mentioned above. But since they arent i own none of the aboves album except Katatonia.

However i do agree with one thing you said most people do think if it is American it must be nu-metal.

I said that down tuning was part of the nu metal sound, that doesn't mean that any band who down tunes is nu metal but all nu metal bands do feature down tuning. Does that make sense?
Also why does Viva having nu metal elements mean you have to own other trully nu metal albums? I did not say it was nu metal only that it contained nu-metal elements and besides liking one band who are nu metal doesn't mean you have to like all of them!
As for Tool I am getting so fed up with people thinking that becuase Katatonia havent written long songs, that they are not influenced by Tool! Maybe Tool do write long songs but that has got nothing to do with their sound, Tool have a distinctive style and sound which Viva contains in a few songs like 'A Premonition' and 'Complicity'

"I said that down tuning was part of the nu metal sound, that doesn't mean that any band who down tunes is nu metal but all nu metal bands do feature down tuning. Does that make sense?"

Yeah, it makes sense to me. If it didn't, I'd be considering Mortician to be a nu-metal band... haha! Oh, I'd have my throat ripped out if I said such a thing.