New Album

This is pretty sad. Viva Emptiness is a great album. If you want to call it nu-metal, or partly nu-metal, then... y'know, that's nice! I don't give a crap! No sense in debating it. You either like it or you don't. Yeah, there's more to nu-metal than being American and rapping, true. I didn't give a big cohesive reply about the genre, I just jumped in with the generalization since it really doesn't matter. But who really cares, either enjoy Viva Emptiness for what it is, or.... or....uhh.... go to www.disney.com.

falling bird said:
Went to store in the morning and in the afternoon but no Viva emptiness :( Always the same sh*t with SPV :yuk:

same here...they told me it will come out in these days...but when? ahh I still have to wait :cry: :cry: Hope no more than a week...
Btw, is there someone here who lives in Stuttgart and knows where I can find Viva Emptiness without waiting too long?

Puh it wasn't easy but finally I got one copy from "Viva Emptiness" today. It was very strange - nearly everybody said that the album will be released on March 31st. Only one shop here in vienna got at least one copy today so I had to be very fast. It's really a shame that Katatonia albums get not the support that they deserve - I remember it was quite the same situation with "Last Fair Deal Gone Down".

However I have to say that I am fill with enthusiasm about "Viva Emptiness" :hotjump:. I was a little bit sceptical how "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" can be topped but you really made it - "Viva Emptiness" is a masterpeace and in my opninion the best Katatonia record to date :headbang:.

Well, i already got Viva Emptiness on Saturday, when it arrived at the Enterprise Music Store (www.cds-24.de).
I heard some songs of it, but didnt have that much time onthe weekend. But lately since yesterday I'm totally on it. Evidence and Criminals were my favorit first, they're more "easy listening", will mean: Its easy to get through them. But now, i am listening since yesterday nearly 24/7, the other, very strange songs, get an emotional structure to me. Its little bit like with discouraged ones, some Songs like "Deadhouse" have a strange Depth and sound very monotone in first listenings (like the hole album does), but after some time the songs become even more stronger than they already are with the new guitar riffs and sounds. "Will I arrive", "Burn the remembrance" are so incredible...feels like im getting high if I listen to them intensively. The hole album is a horror trip of desperation and resignation...darkness and madness. I'm not sure yet, but i really think its their best record ever. I'm really excited to have them here in Krefeld/Germany on the 15th of April.

Got my copy today
jump3.gif
anim-jjd.gif

The album has really grown on me in the many listenings since buying it yesterday. I still dont particularly like the nu-metal elements but overall the album is very good, however I dont think it will ever top LFDGD or TD. The only song I dislike now is Sleeper and I think I have a new favourite in A Premonition.
Oh and Moonshield, your disney comment was very funny! :) and I agree with your point, that the music is a bit nu metally is not important, its wether it's a good album or not that is, and I now believe it is a good album.

Got VE on Monday and it's brilliant. I've been listening to it constantly since then. The albums is not as hard as I'd expected, but still...:headbang:

A more "catchy" Katatonia than ever, you could say, but it doesn't mean it's nu-metal. I've seen this discussion on the mailinglist as well, and I'm not gonna start it over again here. I just want say that Katatonia shouldn't be associated crappy bands such as Linkin Park and other hot-selling "metal" acts.

"Burn the Remembrance" is perhaps the best Katatonia song ever. There just something very special about this excellent song. "Will I Arrive" is a good number two on the album. "Evidence" follows thereafter. Got only one negative thing to point out, and that's the "duh-duh"s on "A Premonition" and "Omerta". Just doesn't fit into to the Katatonia-style. Otherwise...fucking great music. Can't decide if it's better than "Last Fair..." yet, though. Needs more listening.

Got mine today, and I like it a hell of a lot. :D I personally really like the ending of Omerta, totally unexpected. :headbang: But like Buman, it's far too early for me to decide whether it's better than LFDGD or not.

Well...first of all...Deftones are not new metal...(had to say that);

Second of all...I got Viva Emptiness in the mail today from The End and all I have to say...after 1 listen...is.....

It's BRILLIANT!!! I LOVE IT!!! IT'S THE BEST NEW RELEASE THIS YEAR!!!

phyre said:
I went to some store to see if they had it today, and sure enough they did, for SEK229 which is like $26.50. I mean, holy FVCK. And then they wonder why people don't buy albums anymore (I do... Just not in regular, physical stores)

Oh well. Will order later.

Good God! Where do you live? This makes me feel kinda silly for complaining about Barnes and Noble charging $17.99 for cds!

You should definitely buy your cds from The End...they would save you considerable amounts of $$$!

Fucking Amazing. I'm a fan Since Funeral Wedding and I'm still loving Katatonia. Doing for me what Opeth won't. Love this, especially Criminals. I want the lyrics so bad.

HAIL KATATONIA!

I don't see why everyone tries to protect Katatonia somehow when people say that the new album has nu-metal elements. It definitely does,no matter what your opinion on nu-metal is,the guitars on some songs are very nu-metal like. But anyway the point is,that I don't think that it makes the cd any worse,it's a nice change from Last Fair Deal...

Hmmm...I guess its a little bit silly to say VE sounds like nu metal. Ask another question: Arent all markable points of nu metal stolen or adapted from good old metal bands? Sepultura, Machine Head, Pantera, Slayer, old Metallica...these are the springs from where the nu metal bands get their stuff and inspiration.
So to me its like Katatonia is getting closer to some classical metal styles with VE, and thats a good choice i think, in the matter of getting a more rough and hard sound.

it's only fresh sound I think,
What's 'nu-metal' at last?? 8)

Btw, it's the most depressing album ever, never heard sth more emotional. And that is why we love them, isn't it?

I have the feeling they are more desperate now-I see this desperation in the music...

Yes Nu-Metal does borrow elements from old bands but as I said in an earlier post, Sepultura were the first band to invent nu-metal, its a fact, they invented it on their Roots album.
As for Deftones, are you mad, I used to like them a few years ago and their are unquestionably nu-metal. You obviously havn't got a clue what nu-metal is. Back to schoola anyone? If they aren't nu-metal then neither are Korn and that's just a joke.

As for the nu-metal elements not being a bad thing, I agree. Although at first I didn't like them, they are part of the new Katatonia sound and their new sound is great!

Vibrating Ducky said:
You obviously havn't got a clue what nu-metal is. Back to schoola anyone?

If you do not understand that my intention was only to indicate the word/qualification 'nu-metal' is somewhat stupid...

[if there is sth after nu what would you call it?]

then you should yourself go back to school in order to refresh you interpretational skills...

Btw, I like some bands classified to this stream...

I wasn't arguing with you YV, I do agree with the point you made I was merely saying that Deftones are nu-metal and that the single/ EP they released called 'Back to School' is a clear indication of this!

Vibrating Ducky said:
I was merely saying that Deftones are nu-metal and that the single/ EP they released called 'Back to School' is a clear indication of this!

Oh, there's no need to be well acquainted with 'nu' to know 'back to school' of Deftones... ;)
The title song is the bane of my life-I don’t like Deftones at all and the video can be still seen in TV, even if it’s kinda stale…
But that’s in advantage of their Fans, and more digestive in listening than my other ‘favourite’ band Biohazard…

System of a Down is SOMETHING… But it’s only my opinion-you have the right to disagree... :)
Cheers!