New Alexi instructional dvd?

Not to diss on the tabs here (they're fucking great and sound amazing!) some of the positions on the leads feel really awkward to me, maybe i'm just not used to weird hand positionings, it's definitely a workout!

I'd be down to get this dvd if it was actually good, like if he explained the techniques, scales etc that he used, maybe talked about how he writes solos and riffs in depth and then went over some songs. I didn't watch the last one so I can't really comment but just hearing someone say ok this is a lick now watch me play it or this is how I play this song is kinda boring to me. If I'm going to watch an instructional dvd I want to come away from it knowing something that benefits me that I can apply to my own stuff.
Well apparently the new DVD is going to focus more on how he writes/achieves his sound. It's due for release in Summer, personally I'm looking forward to it.

I really hope he goes over the gear he uses in the new dvd...not just the guitar...everything in the loop.

I would love it if he went over the techniques he uses and picking and hand angles and what not. I could even care less if there was a single tab with instructions in it. That can be found anywhere.

Summers not too far away so we will have to see what the dvd really contains.

I really hope he goes over the gear he uses in the new dvd...not just the guitar...everything in the loop.

I would love it if he went over the techniques he uses and picking and hand angles and what not. I could even care less if there was a single tab with instructions in it. That can be found anywhere.

Summers not too far away so we will have to see what the dvd really contains.
There's plenty of gear lists out there already and the stuff he's using in the DVD isn't necessarily what he actually uses. For instance, I know for a fact that the pedals belong to one of the Rockhouse guys.
Picking hand angles and technique advice from Laiho is also something that would disappoint me, the man's not exactly perfect. I'm hoping for more in the musical department and from the sounds of it, that's what we're getting.

There's plenty of gear lists out there already and the stuff he's using in the DVD isn't necessarily what he actually uses. For instance, I know for a fact that the pedals belong to one of the Rockhouse guys.
Picking hand angles and technique advice from Laiho is also something that would disappoint me, the man's not exactly perfect. I'm hoping for more in the musical department and from the sounds of it, that's what we're getting.

I guess you're right about the gear although it seems to change so often that I'm never really sure what he REALLY uses.

Only reason I want picking angles and technique from him is that, IMO, that is what makes a persons sound unique. Anybody can buy all his gear and set it up like him, but without knowing his style of picking(alt, inside, outside, etc) and the attack he uses (pick angle), it can be really hard to nail a sound of his.

I just already have almost every tab for CoB, so that's why I really don't want a how-to-play this song kind of dvd.

But I'm sure we would all like alittle something different out of this DVD than we got from the last 2. (fourth coming not 4th :loco:)

paul gilbert is the best teacher out there

Agree'd.

If I were to worship a guitarist...it would be him...ok I all ready worship him. He's the man.

Already have most of his DVD's....that I know of anyways.

He's always got some Japanese dvd I've never heard of that pops up on forums every now and than.

You can find pretty much all of his instuctional stuff on youtube.com now.

My fav dvd of his is the instructional Get Out of My Yard dvd....that thing is awesome.....not just lessons about shred licks and techniques, he goes into a lot of detail about his picking style and his approach to learning techniques such as bending and string skipping arpeggios. Great stuff, plus he goes over parts of each song on that album, and at the end there is some live stuff from him at GIT.

I highly suggest anyone who likes Gilbert check that dvd out.

I disagree.

Level 1
Level 1
Level 2
Level 2

There are more, but pointless to post.

I meant credit card :lol: I usually have my friend get me stuff with paypal. You have to have a steady income and spotless paying record in bills and shit here as far as I know :lol: The number on the back of my card SHOULD work but it doesn't.

Also, someone else said it but I'd too get the Loomis one instead. Looked interesting although probably not too different from the GW DVD of his that I have.

I have the Loomis one. I didn't like it as much. But that might just be because I'm not as interested in Loomis' stuff as I am in Laiho's stuff. I'll watch the Loomis one again so I can tell you guys specifically what I did and didn't like about it.

I have the Loomis one. I didn't like it as much. But that might just be because I'm not as interested in Loomis' stuff as I am in Laiho's stuff. I'll watch the Loomis one again so I can tell you guys specifically what I did and didn't like about it.
I think he means the one that's going to be released in Winter this year. I'm a fan of Loomis' solo stuff (Zero Order Phase album) but, due to him playing a 7 string, some of his riffs are a pain to transcribe and sometimes awkward to play on a 6 string.

Anyone got any more news on this? Summer has arrived and I've not been able to find a release date :(