New Amorphis album

Would be really nice if someone from the Higher Powers finally writes down a comprehensive list of what goes where and under what name.
It's two weeks till the release and it seems that no one from those who are expected to shell out, is actually sure what s/he's going to get from where. - I would imagine the CD's are already pressed, the sleeves printed and the packages shipped, so SOMEONE in the label at least should have any clarity on the matter.

AMEN! amen! Dear sisters and brothers, cats and dogs too, let's pray (but to who?).

Please DO NOT send me PM asking for where the album leaked.
You all should know how to use the internet and search yourselves.
It is not too hard.
Of course please support Amorphis and buy Circle when it is released.

Frankly, I find this preaching a bit insulting to my intelligence. Probably not only mine. So I would have been really grateful if you spared us the "holier than thou" stance.

The genie's out of the bottle... :devil:
I don't mind, though. I was losing patience already. - Normally the local distributor would start selling it a week prior to the official release, but this is not the case this time, so I'll have to wait till Friday to go and get it.
Anyway, here's first impressions (only regarding the stuff, which hadn't been previously officially released in one way or another):
- Nightbird's Song is the greatest Amorphis song I've heard in years.
- Boring as hell: The Wandered and A New Day, though the latter is not totally hopeless - the folksy bit saves it, though there are some pretty weird things there as well.
- Absolutely lovely: Mission

- Boring as hell: The Wanderer
I might agree with this if it was still circa 2009, but not anymore really as I've learned to appreciate a good vocal melody. Maybe this is why TBOT wasn't such a disappointment as an Amorphis album for me like it seemed to be for so many (I actually like "You I Need" more than most people). Good song, but not among the strongest.

Siding with Trin on this one. It's kinda nice but not very interesting. In the category "radio-friendly singles by Sande", it's maybe on par with You I Need, but falls short of Silent Waters and FTHOMH.

- Boring as hell: The Wandered and A New Day, though the latter is not totally hopeless - the folksy bit saves it, though there are some pretty weird things there as well.

About The Wanderer, I'm not sure about boring, but quite non-amorphis-ish. After RadioTangra interview, I really can hear the To/Die/For in this song. 'Cause of that, I can't listent to it like objective view, I just hear somethong that doesn't fit for Amorphis. Tomi's sound is somehow weird.

- Absolutely lovely: Mission
You are absolute right :Shedevil:

EDIT: Nightbird's Song is easily the best song in this album and goes straight to my top-list.

I still haven't gone through the whole album yet (will do so in the evening), but I simply had to check out the Nightbird's Song, seeing that you all praise it so much. It's a killer tune, definitely, and I agree with trin on that one - one of their best in the recent years.

However, I couldn't but notice that the riff going through the whole song is a bit similar to Agalloch's "I am the Wooden Doors" opening riff. I could be the only one hearing the similarity, being the weirdo fanboy of both bands, but I cannot shake the feeling. I love both of them, regardless.

Also, I see what Esa meant by saying that the song is black metal. Well, not really black metal, but I don't think Amorphis got any closer to black metal before than with this masterpiece.

Nightbird's Song is easily the best song in this album

I said as much to its composer last night, and he should know me well enough to figure that it wasn't empty flattery. Too bad though, none of the bonus tracks seem to be by Tomi - at least that was his spontaneous answer when I asked him, but I harbor the slight hope that he might remember this incorrectly, as nobody quite seems to know much about those mysterious bonus tracks in the first place.

I did a quick check this morning, just to confirm that it turns out that I particularly enjoy the work of Koippari, and pretty consistently. I was kinda hoping that there will be more of his work in the bonus tracks.
I bet the neighbours already know "Nightbird's Song" by heart as well.

I bet the neighbours already know "Nightbird's Song" by heart as well.

Rock rock! :headbang:
Hmmm, there is living two hip hop -guys next to me, and I hear their music sometimes, should I introduce Amorphis to those guys...

I said as much to its composer last night, and he should know me well enough to figure that it wasn't empty flattery. Too bad though, none of the bonus tracks seem to be by Tomi - at least that was his spontaneous answer when I asked him, but I harbor the slight hope that he might remember this incorrectly, as nobody quite seems to know much about those mysterious bonus tracks in the first place.

Let's hope his memory is making tricks with all those versions. I was really hoped that part of the bonus tracks would be from Tomi K.
Statistically it would be normal that there is only one song by Koippari; there is one or two songs by Koippari in every album after Karelian Isthmus and Tales. And statistically those are one of the best songs. ;)
Sorry to say this out loud, but I would be totally fine with if couple of Sande's most pop-songs would switch with couple of Koippari's ambiance-songs...

A little OT, but is there some information about Tuonela's and Am Universum's composers? In booklets there is only 'music by Amorphis'.

Rock rock! :headbang:
Hmmm, there is living two hip hop -guys next to me, and I hear their music sometimes, should I introduce Amorphis to those guys...

Wouldn't hurt if you do ;)

Sorry to say this out loud, but I would be totally fine with if couple of Sande's most pop-songs would switch with couple of Koippari's ambiance-songs...

I was thinking exactly the same things, but let's not forget that now Amorphis is a commercial enterprise and their ultimate goal is to increase sales. Sande's poppy songs have a wider appeal and can be played on the radio without scaring the housewives - hence increase sales, so it's understandable that there's an ever increasing number of them.

I surely would like better an album of mostly growls and riffs, but I realise I am not in the main target audience anymore.

Ok,let's see.Shades of gray,Misiion,Nightbird's song are my favorites.(Nightbird's song..omg!)Narrowpath,wanderer,hopeless days are very good songs.From the last three i liked new day a lot,the two others are just ok.So..it is a nice album,i like many things,how Tomi sounds, the sound in general, the ''new'' elements and spirit of the album.Once again the band made me happy.Well done!:headbang:

@I see many people talking about BOT about it as a ''disappointment''. I really never realised that,i thought and still think that it is a nice album,with many nice songs.Not their best,ok,but call me weird,but i like it even more than skyforger.Any way,opinions!

Sande's poppy songs have a wider appeal and can be played on the radio without scaring the housewives - hence increase sales, so it's understandable that there's an ever increasing number of them.
Although this time he only wrote 4/9 songs, as opposed to 6/12 on TBOT.
toth.gif
As for ITA, I like it much better than Wanderer and more than New Day (which nevertheless has its moments) but not as much as Narrow Path. Esa's songs I find more difficult to rank this time, but my preference goes to the two that offer more than just clean vocals.

I realise I am not in the main target audience anymore.
+1

I was thinking exactly the same things, but let's not forget that now Amorphis is a commercial enterprise and their ultimate goal is to increase sales. Sande's poppy songs have a wider appeal and can be played on the radio without scaring the housewives - hence increase sales, so it's understandable that there's an ever increasing number of them.

You are right there, indeed. That's why it would be logical to put Koippari's composes to the bonus songs, 'cause those are less radio friendly material. And, of course, it would be nice for the old fans. :)

... but I realise I am not in the main target audience anymore.

I have not used to think like that. But now, across with this conversation, DAMN, I think you are right.

In FTLOTL -DVD Esa is talking about contradiction with older fans and audience when they moved to the cleaner vocals with Pasi (compare to the two first album). Also Tomi J. mentioned something like it when he replaced Pasi.
Maybe I am (we are) now somehow in that kind of conflict (again). When talking about it now, I think it started with TBOT, but I have not realize it before. I just needed someone to say it.