New Amorphis album

I am by no means an "old" fan - I only started paying attention with "Am Universum" and became a hardcore fan with "Eclipse", so I am in no conflict with the different eras. I don't mind clean vocals, either. Actually, I seldom like growls. It's just that I like the Amorphis riffs and growls better (because usually they are done so well).

My point is that obviously they are aiming at a much wider audience than the fans of metal and rock, however irrelevant those definitions are. And, besides, we are a global minority.

The average housewife* doesn't like riffs and growls - to her this is noise and she doesn't get it, so she wouldn't buy the album and probably would not give money to the kid to buy the album either. The average dad wouldn't let his 15-year-old daughter to an Amorphis gig, if he thinks their music is "noise" and/or "Satanic" (for example). The "lighter" songs will reach a far bigger audience, would sell more albums and .mp3's, more t-shirts, more bottles of sauce and more tickets. (Don't know how's the situation in Finland, but minors here cannot go to concerts by themselves - no matter if they sell liquor or not - they need an adult companion, so this also leads to a slight increase in ticket sales.)

You, I and the other people writing here, would also buy the hair treatment series, even if we don't need it, so there is no point in "courting" us.

------
* No offence to the housewives and I hope everyone gets what I mean.

I get your point. I also get first Am Universum and Eclipse was THE thing. I was like 7-9 years old when Karelian and Tales was made so I can't allege that I have listened Amorphis from the begin of their career. :) So, at this context an old fan would maybe mean people who like also the heavyer and blacker riffs and want to hear growls insted of mainly clean voc. Then we have this group of "old school fans", which have listened the band always.
I have no need to categorise people or fans, but needed some kind of a classify in my statement. I met a new people at weekend, who regocnized Amorphis (Magic and Mayhem) at my car stereo, and asked if I have some good Amorphis with me. "House of Sleep, You I need, Silver Bride and so on, you know. I went to the gig with my husband and that was this tour with old members and songs, it was really, really bad gig." That kind of people I meen with new fans. That kind of people who you call housewives, I think. And that is what she really is. ;)

So 'old' or 'new' isn't straight about years with the band, more like what kind of sound do you prefer and like.

"House of Sleep, You I need, Silver Bride and so on, you know. I went to the gig with my husband and that was this tour with old members and songs, it was really, really bad gig." That kind of people I meen with new fans.
Not really much for her on the new album either, though, if we look closer. Wanderer is the song that most clearly appeals to that type of fans, but does it have the same sing-along hit potential as HOS or Silver Bride? I don't think so.

I am by no means an 'old' fan - my favorite Amo album being older than myself - and I have been into their music for only several years now, but despite that, they are among the few bands which I regularly listen that had radically changed their approach to the music (when compared to the sound that attracted me in the first place), but still make some quality stuff.

They have maybe gone popier, but certainly not poopier, even though they do churn out a poopy song every now and then. Their music is still good, even though looking through the list of the bands I usually listen to, Amorphis does stand out a bit. But they stand out a bit in general, so that's not a problem.

As long as they keep making good stuff for my ears, I don't care what style they employ. I do, however, consider myself to be a bit of a marginalized fan - not outside of the main audience, but not in the centre of mass either.

...it would be great if they'd ditch the sauce thing though.

Neither I don't belong to those "old fans" - it would have been quite impossible to listen to Amorphis from the beginning, since the first album has been released in the same year when I have born. And in general I don't like to categorize the other fans, because everyone has their own views of being a fan and which way suits them best - for sure I have noticed that while discussing with people.

One of my friends knows mainly these radio songs from "new" Amorphis, but since I have been familiarizing her more to the band (taken her to a gig as well), I feel that she has got more excited. She says that whenever she sees or hears something Amorphis-related, right away she remembers me (even the nickname that she has given to me is related to this band as well, heh). :D
Then again another friend (also same age group with me) likes only the old stuff - well she says that the new stuff has some good things as well, but she wouldn't pay for going to their gig nowadays. Meitä on moneen junaan ja osa jää vielä asemallekin...

Oh dear… I ment no harm with my “categorize” about fans here. In fact, I even didin’t meant it like courting us or thought it like that. I also didin’t realized that someone can take it like that. I know I should read my text many times ‘cause my not very good english, but every word should not take literally. At the moment I just needed some tool to try to explane my meenings.
With new fan / not old fan I ment these housewifes we have talked about, and other dudes that haven’t listen to Amorphis before, but have find the band with for example TBOT.
With old fan I ment the other side of fans. I was not talking any of you here spesify or didn’t ment to judge anyones fan-level or commitment.

As I said, I have not listened to Amorphis “always”, so in that view I can’t call mysef as an old fan, and I have no need to that, neither. I was a kid when the first albums were made and my favourite band was BackStreetBoys. But I have listen to it so far, I don’t feel myself as a new fan. We have no need to be some kind of a fan. It was a caricature example, not some kind of pronouncement or judgement.

Writed text (particularly in internet) is difficult ‘cause there are no tones and accents like spoken text. When it happens in language which is other than used to use, it is even more difficult. So, I am sorry if I have hurt someone’s feelings, I really didin’t meant to. When I was writing my text, I had no clue that it would turn like this.

I'm a bit disappointed by the album. Maybe I expect too much? I miss growls (!!!) and the album is too short IMO. They could have added at least one more song. Hmm, the weakest album since Tomi J. has joined. Maybe it gets better later. But I'm glad we didn't get an album filled by queens of gold and house for lovers :devil:

koivusaari said:
I'm a bit disappointed by the album. Maybe I expect too much? I miss growls (!!!) and the album is too short IMO.
Curiously, it's a good deal longer than Eclipse and only half aminute shorter than SW. There's just more happening on those, it seems ;)

So, I am sorry if I have hurt someone’s feelings, I really didin’t meant to.
Don't worry, I don't think you offended anybody! :)
Those classifications shift with time and taste, anyway. When I found the band in 1996, I liked the clean vocals better than the growls (well, that was my first encounter with death metal...), so throughout the 90s I considered myself a "new" fan. Nowadays I guess I'm an "old" one, but then again, I've also become a grumpy old fart in real life. ;)

Since it seems that no one officially has any idea about what goes where in the bonus editions, I tried to classify what we know.
Digipak edition: Deadman's Song
Japanese edition: Deadman's Song + New song (we believe this is the actual title)
LP: Deadman's Song + TBA (hahaha)
Mailorder: One bonus song? (Sorry, guys, my memory is not what it was when I was younger and I couldn't find the link)

:devil:

Someone has been listening too much Nightbird's Song

Guilty as charged, Your Honour ;) Song, dream, whatever...

The vinyl comes with Dead Man's Dream and and His Story.

Thanks, will edit it right now.

Okay, where did you hear Deadman's Song?

I, at least, haven't. Maybe this is why I got the title wrong ;)

OK, so:

Digipak edition: Deadman's Dream
Japanese edition: Deadman's Dream + New song (we believe this is the actual title)
LP: Deadman's Dream + His Story
Mailorder: One bonus song? (Sorry, guys, my memory is not what it was when I was younger and I couldn't find the link)

Amorphis radio-friendly songs are great.Songs with growls are great.Old songs are great and new songs are great too:loco:

Well i never had problems wondering which era of the band i like the most etc etc.If there were two bands, one Amorphis before eclipse and another one amorphis after eclipse,they would be my two favorite bands ever.They combine everthing i ask.

Anyway the cd will be available here in athens tommorow.i crave for the moment that straight after work i will go buy the cd.:hotjump:

Amorphis radio-friendly songs are great.Songs with growls are great.Old songs are great and new songs are great too:loco:

Well i never had problems wondering which era of the band i like the most etc etc.If there were two bands, one Amorphis before eclipse and another one amorphis after eclipse,they would be my two favorite bands ever.They combine everthing i ask.

Anyway the cd will be available here in athens tommorow.i crave for the moment that straight after work i will go buy the cd.:hotjump:

In a nutshell: All Amorphis songs are great.

Lucky you! Our distributor still doesn't have it.:erk:

^not exactly what i wanted to say.Both eras of amorphis are great for me,with their ups and downs,that's my exact point.:)

just bought my copy!:hotjump:

a nice box with two digipaks inside,one with the cd and one with the dvd,and the booklet just goes inside the box.Dead man's dream lyrics are written on the digipak of the cd.also a nice poster.