New Amorphis album

I can't wait for the whole album anymore, seriously! I'm really anxious to hear it and the setlist it's a blast :D

Radio Rock is again asking for your valued opinion: Hopeless Days - Rautaa vai roskaa? (Iron or scrap, hit or shit...)
Currently the vote is 92% Rautaa.
Thumbs_up.gif

I am so happy that it has risen and is now 93%. I was shocked when I saw only that percentage when I voted. I think also that it is not the most radio friendly song. I am very curious to hear nre album! I have never been so restless for any album as I am now with this.

Just gave the lyric vid another listen with the volume up, paying attention to the mix a bit more. Have to echo koivusaari's comment about the drums and Trin's about Esa's guitar. The drums sit a lot more prevalent in the mix and the cymbals really pop. They seem like they have less reverb than the bass drums, too. Esa's guitar is drier and dirtier than I've ever heard it and I think that it's more of a scooped tone than his usual warm, mid-heavy sound. It's darker and harder, which suits the riff and gives the keys a little more space as well.

I can see why people are saying that it's a busy mix, but I don't think it is overproduced, just a different sort of production than we are used to and neither the Nightwish-y symphonic sound nor a roots-y, minimal production. Tätgren uses plenty of reverbs to give the track some dimension and that gives it a bit of the business and the wash that we hear, but he also gives the song more bite than I've heard in a while. I think it will grow on me, rather than tire me out in the long run.

One thing that struck me this last listen is that parts of the vocal melody line and delivery in the verse remind me a bit of Queensrÿche and Geoff Tate, which I've never noticed before in any other Amo songs. Definitely an evolution of sorts going on here.

It is an evolution, most definitely. And a bit overdue, I'd say...
I got into some sort of a friendly argument with a friend last night. He was saying that the new song is too soft. I suggested that he should go check his hearing. Eventually he admitted, that actually he doesn't like the too clean vocals. I tried to explain that it is not normal to expect growls on the radio first radio song, applying my "scaring the housewives" theory.
Then he started teasing me, so I played some Donna Summer for him and this put a rather abrupt end to the argument.
I personally gave Hopeless Days a break. I heard it maybe 20 times on Saturday and then stopped, because knowing myself, I will get fed up with it by the time the album comes out and this will ruin my wholesome listening experience.

Track lengths in case someone's interested:

1. Shades of Gray - 5:27
2. Mission - 4:33
3. The Wanderer - 4:43
4. Narrow Path - 4:23
5. Hopeless Days - 5:08
6. Nightbird's Song - 5:00
7. Into the Abyss - 5:36
8. Enchanted by the Moon - 5:32
9. A New Day - 6:00

Total 46:22

I gave it a listen today finally and decided to dismiss everyone elses opinions on what the song was or wasn't and switched tabs as I didn't want to actually watch the video and have it affect my feelings about the song itself. Are there some sonic changes? Yep. Is it still Amorphis? Most definitely. Is it safe? Yeah, but I'd say it's only as safe as their past few radio friendly songs. I feel that there's a little less synth and that the single isn't quite as catchy as the last few have been, but I've only listened to it once. I'm going to give it a listen now and then until the album.

Since this is supposed to be a modern telling of certain stories -- it does make sense on the sonic direction they're going. Slightly less folky. But once again it's just the single. We should wait until we get the new album and give it a few spins before jumping to any conclusions.

I like Hopeless Days but there is one "but". I hear a Nighwish-sound in one part and that irritates me a bit. I blame Tätägren of it, I don't know who is to blame but he feels for me to be a good target :heh:

I've been whinging about the Nightwish bit since the first time I heard it (the last 15 seconds of the track), but, trust me, Tägtgren is the least to blame :D Just check out his track record as a producer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tägtgren#Production_Credits

The man is heavy as f*ck. :kickass:

Ah yes it was you who talked about Nightwish before and I didn't have listened Hopeless Days then. When I did I noticed it at once. I am convinced Tätägren is heavy as f*ck after seeing that thrilling list. Oh man, who the hell then wanted to put Nightwish sound to Hopeless Days..? :mad:

Maybe the songwriter himself can be blamed for the Nightwish-sounds; I remember I have read many times how Nightwish is amazing band in Esa's opinion...

Anyway, after more spins I have started to like Hopeless Days even more. But hopefully there are still (at least some) folk influences on the album, because I really like that element in Amorphis' music. But we'll see.

@Saara: BTW, thanks for confirming my Nightwish suspicions. I thought I was going insane.

Nightwish may be a great band, but, why, oh why, would you want to sound like them? I mean... Come on!
Anyway.
But this brings me to the question who do you think wrote Hopeless Days? Actually, I will post a poll just now.

OMG you people scare me now, I just realized there may be more Nightwish-sound in an album! Oh why did I had to realize that, I am enought hysterical waiting the damn album come out :yow:
OK Nightwish is a good band, but somehow I just don't like it even when I hear it it sounds "OK", nothing else.

Call me a girlie, but that "NW part" is my favorite moment of HD (okay, actually the whole final third of the song). But then again, my fav Nightwish passage is 4:10-4:40 of "Meadows of Heaven" because that melody has such an Amorphis feel to it... :D

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Nightwish. They are not my favourite band or anything, but they're OK.
It's just that if we spotted the similarities, others will, too... Especially my esteemed colleagues the music journalists, who will then start comparing them to Nightwish. I've always been annoyed when they are compared to Opeth. Now this will be a bit too much. :err:
I mean, the state of musical journalism is almost as sad as the state of the industry it covers. - Total lack of imagination.

Especially my esteemed colleagues the music journalists, who will then start comparing them to Nightwish.

If the rest of the album is Amorphis meets Hypocrisy, then I don't think they'll even notice a few seconds of Amorphis meets Nightwish. ;)

When House of Sleep came out, the net was briefly flooded with "Amo goes HIM" comments, but the rest of Eclipse out a quick and merciful end to those.

Now we have an opinion of my dear husband: finally there is a change he has been waiting. Guitar solos are great and finally there is solos like that. This band has done a good jump forward. He says he hopes Amorphis do not forget their roots. In this song a singer Tomi has an opportunity to show his singings skills, which are great and he sings great in this song. Old Amorphis is heard through the song which is important. He likes at the first hearing.