New Amp or Axe Fx?

AKoppenheffer

Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, in my quest for tone, I'm looking to pick up a new tool for guitars. Right now my arsenal consists of a 5150, Framus Cobra, Orange Rockerverb 100, Peavey Classic 100, Orange Tiny Terror, and a Marshall JCM2000 TSL. I'm really curious about the Axe Fx, but I feel that it might just be a depreciating fad. (I'm pleading ignorance here... I think it sounds good but it is a good chunk of change.) now on the other hand I'm looking at adding an Engl Savage 120. Ive always wanted an Engl, but a great deal on the Cobra came along so I jumped. I leaning toward the Savage, but the Fractal unit looks great. Any opinions? Would that Savage get me something the Cobra can't? I had a Krankenstein as well, but it wasn't for me.

I highly recommend the Axe FX Ultra for many reasons. Ive never heard such accurate sounding modeling ever it actually sounds and feels like a real amp! I was blown away by the axe FX so much so I have to buy one for myself. There is a processor in the axe FX that emulates the dynamic change when cranking a tube amp and it does a magnificant job I must say, I can't tell the difference really. So all the Line 6, digitech, Rocktron and digidesign amp modeling units are complelely useless compared to the Axe FX. The gain is definatly more Natural sounding and responds like a real amp. Not to mention the wide array of amps models availible to you, FX's:

Check out www.boyinaband.com

or just search boyinaband in youtube, they review the Axe FX

You have a very impressive (and enviable) collection of tube amps AKoppenheffer!

About the Axe-FX, depends on how you plan on using it. If you want more amp tones, I suggest you stick to your REAL amps. If you want a high quality multi-fx unit, there are other better options available (e.g. TC Electronic G-Force/G-System etc.) as the Axe-FX runs out of processing power very easily with just a few effects. As for the Engl Savage... honestly, I don't know if it is going to give you something that you can't achieve from the Framus Cobra, I don't own either. If you want to invest in a new amp to add something new to your arsenal of tones... I would suggest the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster.

Btw, a cheaper way of getting the Engl tone = get the Engl E530 preamp and run it through one of your amp's poweramp section.

I hope this helps :)

If you want a high quality multi-fx unit, there are other better options available (e.g. TC Electronic G-Force/G-System etc.) as the Axe-FX runs out of processing power very easily with just a few effects.

Sorry but that's just not true, have you owned the units in question? I have, and even the Standard Axe is a lot more powerful and more importantly far better sounding then the TC gear. Fractal FX are more comparible to Eventide in terms of quality, without the totally obtuse programming.

I like having an arsenal of amps... Not gonna lie. I've tried searching numerous times but nothing ever sold me. I apologize if you guys cover this all the time. I watched a few videos online and was very impressed. Granted these were more overdrive, clean tones. My majority of work is metal. So that's about all I would be using the Axe Fx for. I'm gonna check out the Engl this weekend hopefully. Who knows. Thanks for the insight.