New Angra Album!

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
Looks like the new Angra album will be out in early/mid-Fall. There is plenty of news about it on their website, but check out the latest journal entry from Edu and Rafael. Oh, and it seems a world tour is in the works too! :hotjump:

www.angra.net
Hey, everybody!

We’ve just woken up and have great news to tell you: the new album is READY! So now we can finally talk about it with more certainty.

First of all, the songs are awesome! Really, really good! The production is perfect too, the sound of instruments is even heavier and clearer than in our previous albums. The band sounds more powerful and tighter as well.

This is a very complex record, truly sophisticated. It’s not just another metal album, it’s much more than that. The richness of the songs can be felt in the concept, the versatility, the spontaneity, the technic, the feeling and the emotions that flow throughout the whole record. It’s easy to figure out our emotions in the tracks. It’s a special thing, totally unconventional.

The story is about the saga of a crusader knight that ends up disputing the expansionist ideals of the Catholic Church in the eleventh century. He is known as The Shadow Hunter. His way of thinking changes step by step until he gets to the point of beginning a new reforming order. There’s a lot of things happening in his life and each song is a chapter of the story. It’s amazing to follow the lyrics as you listen to the songs. Each situation is totally different from the other.

Overall, this album is a bit longer than the others Angra has made so far. We tried to do something new and didn’t think twice about the possibility of experimenting. After all, we always focus in the artistic side and in what has been Angra’s most striking mark since day one: ORIGINALITY!

Today is July 14th and we are leaving for Japan. We’ll meet Kiko there (he’s going from Brazil) and the three of us are gonna promote the album. We’re doing a couple of acoustic gigs, plus interviews, photo sessions and so on. However, we look forward to coming back to Brazil and showing to the fans what we achieved in the new album, Angra’s very best in our opinion.

Thank you very much for your patience, support and wait!

Edu and Rafael.

I'm certainly waiting for it. Lets see what Angra bring us this time. :Spin:

I hope it gets better than Rebirth, cos I must say right now that Shaman > Angra.

Anyway, the best power metal band right now IMO is Lost Horizon. I can't get enough of that kids. Matt, I'll send you a soon if I catch you online, your pants are gonna fall down!

I have now downloaded five songs from this album. And they all rule so much! Edu is by far my favorite clean singer now, after hearing his work on this album. I am so pumped about this release now! I can't wait until that morning when I speed my car over to the record store to go and pick it up. :D

I thought Rebirth was AMAZING. It rivals HL and AC! And from what I've heard off of the new one, it is just as good yet again.

That Lost Horizon song is freakin' awesome.

Hell, where are you getting these songs from? I have 2 copies of the CD on the way to me right now. :D

hehe, I downloaded the entire album yesterday from SoulSeek. I like it alot and will definately be picking it up when it gets available. I have no idea what the people who are bashing Edu'äs vocals on this one are talking about. I think he's amazing.

My brief review...

Angra has done it again: another brilliant album like Holy Land, Angels Cry, and Rebirth before it. This is the best new release I have purchased in years. It is another concept album, but this time the concept is much more solidified than what they did on Holy Land, which was more thematic in my opinion. Temple of Shadows is the 2nd album with the current lineup, and it is very different than the Rebirth, as well as all albums that preceded it. One thing great about Angra is the way they reinvent themselves each album, while still keeping the “core” Angra sound. This release is no exception.

First, the vocals are outstanding; for me, they are the highlight of the album. From the timbre of Edu’s voice, to the extremely smooth melodies, it just makes me listen to the album again and again. He has such power and emotion to his voice that you can’t help but be transfixed. Edu shows yet again that he is one of the best all around metal vocalists in the scene today.

Having guest vocals was a cool addition too. The female vocals (Sabine Edelsbacher) on “Spread Your Fire” really give it an interesting feel on the chorus. “Winds of Destination” features Hansi Kürsch from Blind Guardian; he has a unique voice that really gives a nice complement to Edu’s tone. Though, I think the “dueling” vocal highlight has to be Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, formally Helloween) and Edu when they go back and forth on the extremely energetic “The Temple of Hate”. All I can say is, “WOW!”.

Another thing I’ve always liked about Angra are their backing vocals. Live, they have 3 people sing backing while Edu belts out the lead. In the studio, Rafael did most of them this time, but man does it sound amazing. Yet again, their backing vocals deliver a nice counterpart to the lead vocals with perfect mix and blending. The harmonies melt together into a nice, cohesive mixture of sound.

Of course, we have speed as well. The harmonized guitars on “Spread Your Fire” will even impressive fans of who think Yngwie is the speed god. And Aquiles Priester drumming is so incredibly fast, that my legs cramp up listening to it!

For the Prog enthusiasts, we have odd times (5, 7, and more), as well as layer upon layer of texture and sound. The nice thing is that it is all done so tastefully, so that it could go unnoticed by the untrained ear. Then there are the many genres Angra blends into their music. Aside from the obvious Power/Prog/Classic Metal genres, most notably are Brazilian-style tribal music, classical, Spanish, and more. “Wishing Well” is a great example of “metal” expanding it’s boundaries into new territory while not becoming something else. This song is definitely a favorite for me – the melodies (vocals, guitar solos, etc.), the rhythms, the textures, the groove, etc. all add to an amazing listening experience.

I think the engineering, mixing, and production are all top notch as well. Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69 aka PC69) does another great job getting the best he can out of an amazing band.

Though the whole album flat out rocks, highlights for me include “Angels and Demons”, “Waiting Silence”, “Wishing Well”, “Temple of Hate”, and “Morning Star”. Angra is one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, where you can hear something new each time you listen. The layers are very impressive. I know people are here because they like prog/metal, which generally is known for musicianship, hard work, layers, complexity, etc. Well, Angra has all this as well. I really want to encourage people to buy this album to help support a GREAT, hard working band, who deserves all the success they can get in the world!

I just want to reiterate what a great album this is. If you like Prog, Metal, quality music, and well crafted songs (that also have some musicianship to them), check it out!

And for those in Brazil, Europe, or Japan...

20/11/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Marista Hall - Info: (31) 3228-7500 / 3224-0493 / 3209-0666
City Belo Horizonte/MG

27/11/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Ceará Music
City Fortaleza - CE

28/11/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Show Bar - (84) 211 3848.
City Natal/RN

04/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: --
City Monsenhor Paulo/MG

15/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Porto Alegre/RS

16/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Carazinho/RS

17/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Novo Hamburgo/RS

18/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Bento Gonçalves/RS

19/12/2004 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Criciúma/SC

05/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Rainbow
City Milão

06/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
City Geneva ou Pralten

07/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Transbordeur
City Lyon

08/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: La Laiterie
City Strasbourg

10/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Arena
City Madrid

11/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Razzmatazz 2
City Barcelona

12/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Azkena
City Vitoria

13/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Havana Café
City Toulouse

15/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Rockstore
City Montpellier

16/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Elysée Montmartre
City Paris

17/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: L'Antipode
City Rennes

18/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: Ten Weyngaert
City Bruxelas

19/02/2005 SHOW DO ANGRA
Info: Local: La Pleiade
City Tours

Okay, I figured I'd bump this thread with the new Angra album and talks of a world tour (including the US!). My review...

It’s typical these days for albums to leak before they are officially released. I started reading opinions on the Internet for Angra’s latest album before it came out, and most were saying things like “it’s their heaviest album to date”. To be honest, when I hear statements like this, it makes me nervous. More often than not, when a band brags during promotion for their new album that it is “the heaviest thing they’ve ever done”, it usually ends up being heavy, yes, but not necessarily their best album to date. I would rather hear someone brag or state that the latest CD is their best to date.

Now that Aurora Consurgens is out and I've listened to it a few times, I ask, "is this Angra’s heaviest to date"? I think so. Does it then fall in the sub par category that many albums do when championed as a band’s “heaviest” material? Not even close! This is a fantastic album, filled with melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, and yes, it is heavy too! As always, Angra has made a fresh album that still has the core Angra sound. There are times when I hear hints of older material (“So Near So Far” gives off a similar vibe to material from their early years), but this doesn’t bother me at all as the vibe is similar but fresh.

It’s easy to see that Angra has been a busy band lately. Since the band had it’s rebirth in 2002, they have put out 3 full albums and an EP in 3 years! What is more amazing about this is the fact that they all contain quality material and no filler. The latest release is no exception. Another great feature about the new album compared to the past releases is it further shows that Angra is a very solidified band with various members contributing to the song writing. And once again the album seems to be thematic/conceptual in nature, this time exploring mental illness.

As with the past 3 albums/EP, the vocals shine. Edu shows yet again that he is a force to be reckoned with in the metal world. I thought his voice sounded more relaxed and natural on this album than it did at times on Temple of Shadows (like the end of “The Shadow Hunter”) – it seems to me he’s “found his voice” in the band. One of my favorite things about Angra, aside from the vocal delivery, is their vocal arrangements: especially the play between lead and backing vocals. Rafael is not only a fine composer of songs, but does amazing arrangements and delivery of backing vocals. They are so smooth and tranquil that they grab the listener’s attention whenever they come through, yet don’t overshadow the lead lines.

The rhythm section in Angra is tight as usual. Aquiles’ drumming is fast, precise, and skillful, yet often diverse and dynamic. Another great thing about this aspect of the band are the frequent hints of traditional Brazilian percussion. Then there is the bass. The intro to “Passing Time” gives off that classic old school Iron Maiden feel, highlighting Felipe’s smooth bass lead. All over the album Felipe shows he has both skill and taste, as his playing always contributes to the song rather than distracting the listener, yet it shows his amazing technical prowess.

And of course, there are still the highly extraordinary guitars! The harmonies are one of the aspects of Angra that always catch my attention. Proving to me yet again that Rafael and Kiko are metal’s best guitar duo when it comes to harmonized leads. They took what past bands have done, and with it, soared to new heights that seem almost surreal in achievement.

Kiko delivers some great guitar solos on this one. I’ve long been a huge fan of his playing, and especially his diversity. What really amazes me about him is this: in a genre that often contains (what seems like) a surge in fast playing/showing off for the sake of playing fast/showing off, Kiko displays restraint and plays to contribute to a better song – he doesn’t use his solo spots to show off his extremely impressive technical skill and over shadow the band. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t highly technical and impressive playing on this disc! By the contrary, it means it is there, but done in such a tasteful way that the listener never things “wow, impressive, but what is the point?”.

I highly recommend this disc to past Angra fans, and I think it is also a good introduction to this highly talented band if you have never heard them. For those of you like me in the US, I’ve read statements in interviews with Edu that a US tour is in the works for this year! Make sure you plan on catching their show, because I’ve seen them several times and they are not only one of the best sounding bands, but the most engaging and entertaining to watch on stage. Considering their new material, combined with the 15 year anniversary of the band (including hints from the band that material will be played from all their albums on the tour!), you don’t want to miss them!

I LOVE the new Angra album, it rivals Fireworks in my opinion. The vocalist is great, even though I loved Andre Matos' work with the band.

You should check out Shaaman as well...Andre Matos's current band.

I LOVE the new Angra album, it rivals Fireworks in my opinion. The vocalist is great, even though I loved Andre Matos' work with the band
I was REALLY torn when Angra split. I got into them in about 1996, so I was loyal to the original lineup (well, they had a drummer change early on, but other than that). The best thing about the split was TWO awesome bands!

That said, when Rebirth came out, the new Angra quickly won me over, and much to my surprise, became slightly more prefered, or at least equal with the old era (IMO). Rebirth was just a SOLID album, and the EP Hunters and Prey was great too. Temple of Shadows was amazing!

As for your AA rivaling Fireworks comment, I personally think it CRUSHES that album! To me, even though Fireworksis a good album, it is by far their weakest. On that album, I love "Lisbon", "Gentle Change", "Extreme Dream", and "Wings of Reality". The rest of the songs are good, but still, comparted to classics like HL, AC, or Rebirth, it doesn't stand a chance!

I first heard all their stuff in chronological order: AC, then HL, then FC, then Fireworks, a few imports/live stuff, then the new era stuff. Having listened to them for years, I group the albums like this (I'm not counting live albums, singles, special imports, or anything like that):

AMAZING:
Angels Cry
Holy Land
Rebirth

GOOD:
Aurora Consurgens
Freedom Call
Hunters and Prey
Temple of Shadows

OKAY:
Fireworks

You should check out Shaaman as well...Andre Matos's current band.
Got all 3 of their albums when they came out (2 studio, 1 live). ;) "Fairy Tale" is one of the best songs ever. I really prefer their first album WAY more than the 2nd. The live one is good, too. By the way, Matos is one of my favorite singers ever. I put him up there with Dickinson, Dio, Tate, and Halford!

As a side note, both the Shaaman and Angra DVDs are very good. While the Shaaman one has much better audio, the Angra one depicts a much better performance (both musically and visually). Both are worth picking up if you don't have them yet!

With all that said, I like the new era Angra WAY more than Shaaman (who broke up in case you didn't know :(). You won't find a bigger fanboy of Angra around the US than me - except maybe Milton (in CT), Romario (in VA), or their friend in FL (can't remember his name), but they're all from Brazil so that doesn't count. :p

I picked up the new Angra album last week. To be honost, I thought it kicked major ass! I cannot stop listening to it!

Some seriously heavy, but tight work on this one. Oh shit, cranked this bad boy up on my home system - be friggan prepared to crap your pants! Friggan love it!