New Avantasia by the end of 2009...

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
http://www.tobiassammet.com/eng/Interview0709.php

Doesn't shed light on much of anything, I'm afraid, but at least we should be getting a new Avantasia album near the end of the year. I didn't see this coming at all, so it's a welcome surprise. What are your thoughts on it? I thought Metal Operas were hit and miss (some unbelievable songs but a lot of filler/boring songs) and The Scarecrow was a big step up from that. I wonder what this new album will be like.

Announced guest members so far:
- Eric Singer (KISS)
- Alex Holzwarth (Sieges Even, Rhapsody of Fire)
- Jorn Lande (Ark, Masterplan, etc.)
- Klaus Meine (Scorpions)
- Tim "Ripper" Owens (Iced Earth, Judas Priest, etc.)
- Bob Catley (Magnum)
- Michael Kiske (Helloween)
- Felix Bohnke (Edguy)
- Russell Allen (Symphony X)
- Jens Johansson (Stratovarius)
- Andre Matos (Angra)
- Bruce Kulick (KISS)

Hey, at least he's aware that everybody hates his guts. :D

... *reads interview again*

... Pop? Oh, jeez, Tobi, do you relish making your fans want to strangle you? :p

Loved the Metal Opera; Scarecrow felt like a step down. But Tinnitus Sanctus was a step up from Rocket Ride (which was a freefall down from Hellfire Club). Tinnitus Sanctus got the hard rock a bit more right (Dragonfly was excellent) and the one or two power-metal songs (Pride of Creation, Speedhoven) were pretty good.

Still, what's the deal with bands growing huge playing speed/power metal, and then the second they've made it on that sound, ditching it or watering it down?

*SQUEALS*!

Ahem...s'cuse me but FUCK YEAH :D Can't wait. Avantasia can do no wrong. This should kick anus

I was pretty excited to hear this news. I thought both Tinnitus Sanctus and the Scarecrow were great albums. Can't wait for the new Avantasia.:headbang:

Meh. TS was ok, Scarecrow was different but really pretty good but I'll throw Metal Opera part 1 in for the best thing associated. It cannot be improved upon.

Just got this email, registering for the site has its benefits after all!

Besides KISS-drummer Eric Singer and Sieges Even's Alex Holzwarth (who also played for Avantasia's first two albums "The Metal Opera 1 & 2") the third musician can be announced: Norwegian vocal animal Jorn Lande has been in the studio to sing his parts for the forthcoming Avantasia epic. Lande had already been on last year's Avantasia-chartbreaker "The Scarecrow".

Lande absolutely tore apart The Scarecrow. The last couple moments on the title track are classic! Great bit of news, I'm even more stoked for this now. :kickass:

And Klaus is now confirmed:

August 14, 2009
SCORPIONS SINGER KLAUS MEINE ON AVANTASIA

Recently Scorpions vocalist Klaus Meine was in the studio to record a duet with Tobias. The recording session took place at Peppermint Park, Mousse T's prestigious studio in Hannover. About the collaboration Tobias says the following: "We played a couple of shows with the Scorpions here and there and they are not only the biggest and greatest Rock band ever to emerge from Germany, they are also cool Rock-n-Roll people who are aware of what's going on in the world of heavy guitars. Lately we played Bulgaria together, Edguy and the Scorpions, and I watched their full show from onstage. They kicked serious ass! Rudolf (Schenker, Scorpions) did some cool guitar work on the previous record, and now Klaus is on the forthcoming one. He has done a superb job, he opens his mouth and you immediately hear it's that cutting voice that has sung "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and "Blackout"! The track we did together is an anthemic mid-tempo tune, big choir chorus. And I am still speechless thinking of Klaus' performance. He is a real pro and he would still blow away 99% of all us Rock singers with a quarter of his left lung. People, get ready for a monster song!"

They just skyrocketed with this one!

Tim "Ripper" Owens, vocalist of Yngwie Malmsteen's band and former Judas Priest voice has recently been in the studio to sing his parts for the forthcoming Avantasia epic, whose title is yet to be announced.

About the collaboration Tobias has to say the following: "I had this pretty heavy riff monster and I remembered a Judas Priest live-album with "the new singer" on vocals. I listened again and when I heard him sing "Metal Gods" and "Painkiller" I knew that this was the voice I so desperately needed for the song. Tim is a cool guy and a scream machine. He makes his voice spit out the most aggressive high notes I have ever heard, while fully controlling it. I am so proud of the heaviest Metal tune I have written so far, and Tim has turned a good Heavy Metal song into the ultimate Heavy Metal Monster!"

Awesome!

Bob Catley too!

I just noticed that Alex Holzwarth was mentioned when Jorn was announced, but for some reason Rhapsody wasn't mentioned. Well, it was in the Bob Catley announcement, but not now... sigh. Poor Rhapsody...

I just noticed that Alex Holzwarth was mentioned when Jorn was announced, but for some reason Rhapsody wasn't mentioned. Well, it was in the Bob Catley announcement, but not now... sigh. Poor Rhapsody...

I assume that has to do with Rhapsody's ongoing legal battle with their record label. They've been fighting with that for the past two years.

I assume that has to do with Rhapsody's ongoing legal battle with their record label. They've been fighting with that for the past two years.

Yea. Any day now, there will be an announcement of Rhapsody's return and a new album... right? I can dream.. :erk:

Michael 'Ernie' Kiske has returned to Avantasia! :lol: Awesome! I think I'll edit the first post with the line-up so far...