New Cyhra Album 2018-2019

At least half of the words you put in Jesper's mouth are your own.

That only shows how much you care about his opinion and how much damaged has been the image of the band in the past years.

There's enough bad to say about this song without needing to make up things.

The saltiness over Jesper's deperature is still so strong for some :D like bitter ex-girlfriends who just can't help but lash out.

This song is nothing special but jeez, you'd think it was something off Siren Charms.

If we learned anything from the last album it's that the singles don't necessarily reflect what the album is going to be. I'll wait until we hear everything before passing judgement.

Reactions: eochaid
Oh btw, for anyone who just watched the music video version, the album version of the track doesn't have all of that talking at the start. It's just the electronics followed by the chorus riffs. Still like a poor version of Karma (that's pretty much what the entire song is) but not as bad.

First, I thought the intro electronics were cool. I heard those and I was thinking, “oh man, here we go!” and then I was IMMEDIATELY disappointed by the music.

Second, I have no idea why they are playing it safe and sticking to their “sound”. I hope they don’t talk about being loyal to their fans. What fans? They have like 1000 followers on Twitter. Guys, now is the time to change things up. Not to play it safe.

Third, while I think there should be much better songs on this record, it’s very concerning to me that they actually thought it was one of the best ones because they made a video about it.

Fourth, I can’t believe there are now two people on here that said they wouldn’t even listen to the album. Come on dudes, I doubt it’s true, but if it is at least give a listen.

Fifth, if this album sucks I will blame Jake, then Jesper in that order. Then myself.

Sixth, after releasing this song there is no way in hell they can refer to themselves as a metal super group. This is MILF rock. The first album was the same but they got a free pass since it’s the debut album. Put out some fucking metal if you want to be called a metal band.

Last edited:
Third, while I think there should be much better songs on this record, it’s very concerning to me that they actually thought it was one of the best ones because they made a video about it.
Well, IF did a video to House and now to Follow me. Not to talk about the awful singles from Battles.

At least half of the words you put in Jesper's mouth are your own.

That only shows how much you care about his opinion and how much damaged has been the image of the band in the past years.

There's enough bad to say about this song without needing to make up things.

The post I wrote, was it over exaggerate? Meh, maybe for some. Was it my words? No.

We all read those posts he wrote on Facebook, hell we even talk about it here. I won't try to find every word he said but at some point Jesper even suggested that IF should change name because they changed "too much". If you wanna talk so much shit, at least stand behind your words. This new song is the most mediocre song I ever heard. It's based on a catchy chorus which is not even good. If In Flames is sinking ship I don't know what this Cyhra is.

The saltiness over Jesper's deperature is still so strong for some :D like bitter ex-girlfriends who just can't help but lash out.

This song is nothing special but jeez, you'd think it was something off Siren Charms.

If we learned anything from the last album it's that the singles don't necessarily reflect what the album is going to be. I'll wait until we hear everything before passing judgement.

I'm not salty about him leaving IF cause I loved the albums they released after his departure. (SC? It was meh.) I, The Mask is an awesome album which makes me happy for Jesper's departure.

Any song from SC is far better than this uninspiring crap btw.

Any song from SC is far better than this uninspiring crap btw.

Keep believing that matey :D

Out Of My Life just has way too much emphasis on the chorus, which is OK but very simple, so it doesn't need to be repeated that many times. There's literally no thought given to the verses at all, they barely even exist. Outside of that you have some uninspired chugga chugga riffs and a melodic section which sounds like it's about to go somewhere awesome then fizzles out into the chugga riffs and the massively overplayed chorus. They could have at least added some extra chorus lyrics if they were going to repeat it so many times. Or created a cool pre-chorus to mix it up a bit.

I actually quite like the first 30 seconds. The electronics are annoying but the riffs are nice. Then we break down into the standard LTM/nu In Flames formula of the instruments disappearing to make way for vocal melodies and the occasional riff underneath. I'm really not a fan of this approach at all. 57 seconds in we get the first chorus already. I don't understand why the generic riffs and scattered electronics goes on for so long between 1:25 - 1:38. It's not great anyway but should have ended at 1:31. Second verse barely lasts 13 seconds before we're back at the chorus again, less than a minute after we heard it at 0:57, and it lasts 30 seconds, almost three times the length of the amaemic second verse. It's literally the definition of rushing to the chorus.

So at this point we get some nice guitar melodies, Jesper style, and I'm thinking OK... here we go. We're going to get a great solo to at least break up the monotony a bit. But nope. The melodies are nice but it feels like this section was thrown in there without any real thought and it doesn't go anywhere and the last 30 seconds of the song is the chorus again.

Overall the chorus takes up almost a minute and a half of a track that only lasts 3 minutes and 17 seconds. That's kind of ridiculous when there's no variation to the chorus at any point in the slightest. It feels really lazy to be honest, like they came up with the chorus first, thought it was really good and threw in some other stuff to briefly pad out the rest of the song. Even the intro is basically just the chorus vocals in riff form.

I'm revising my score to 5/10. Not feeling this one much and it wasn't a good choice for a single imo as it doesn't show anything close to what the band can actually do. Amaranthe does this kind of thing way better and with a lot more variety. If Jake wants to step out of their shadow then the rest of the album is going to need a lot more creativity than this.

The post I wrote, was it over exaggerate? Meh, maybe for some. Was it my words? No
Yes and yes.

Jesper called sc lame snd said that they should change their name because they have changed a lot. Never said a thing about being commercial, publicly praised battles and shared our house.

So yes, more than half your words are your own. You just can't be balanced regarding him because Anders.

But the truth is that Jesper still can play and Anders still can't sing

The most disappointing thing for me is how bland the single is, after literally over a year of hype. The band members were talking about this being an evolution from LTM and the next step, but then the first single they release sounds like a LtM b-side which wasn't good enough to make the cut. Not a great look. I felt on the first album they sometimes took too much creative liberty and needed a stronger producer to tighten their sound, but this is going way too far in that direction. The music sounds neutered. I really hope it's just a one off and the rest of the album is very different, but looking at the track titles I really have no idea what to expect. At a glance it looks like a cover album for German power metal bands. They did have some PM-inspired tracks on LtM - Here To Save You and Forever being the most obvious ones - but I wasn't expecting them to go further down that route and I hope they aren't. I like power metal but I don't need it from Jesper or Cyhra. I've already got a ton of bands I listen to doing that sound very well.

The single is probably a good indication to where things are going. They have talked about songs intebted for live shows. So, most probably, short songs chorus oriented with a guitar base that won't have that much presence.

Yes and yes.

Jesper called sc lame snd said that they should change their name because they have changed a lot. Never said a thing about being commercial, publicly praised battles and shared our house.

So yes, more than half your words are your own. You just can't be balanced regarding him because Anders.

I don't hate Jesper, I like him a lot. But when you talk shit about In Flames because of their musical direction and then form a band that goes more "commercial" than IF, its bothering me. He said many times that addiction was a only small part of his departure. So he didn't like the musical direction that they went. Ok cool, thats a solid reason for departure. But then you form a band that makes songs around 1 chorus which isnt even good one (also that new song doesnt even have a good solo). That's why when I heard the song I was pissed. So when I think like him I think maybe Jesper should change his name cause he's not the same Jesper anymore!

But the truth is that Jesper still can play and Anders still can't sing

I don't know why you're making this Jesper vs Anders, cause its not what I'm talking about at all. But to answer your nonsense, I'm not sure Jesper still can play. 1 kinda OK riff from a song doesn't save him from me bashing Cyhra.

The single is probably a good indication to where things are going. They have talked about songs intebted for live shows. So, most probably, short songs chorus oriented with a guitar base that won't have that much presence.

Why can't you just admit that song is bad and move on? :D

To me the "create songs for live shows" excuse is bullshit. The reason LtM as a whole isn't great live is because there are too many mid-tempo songs with the same structure. If they had a little more variety it would be fine. Songs like Out Of My Life don't help at all imo, it sounds like it could have come right off LtM so how is that solving any problem? Making a song simpler and having the chorus repeated a hundred times doesn't = "better live song", it just = boring. If they create an album with songs like that it will barely be any different from LtM and people probably won't even remember or know which album each song is off because they'll all sound similar anyway. Obviously creating a whole album of complex songs isn't good for a live show, but alternatively creating a bunch of simple poppy chorus-driven songs isn't any better. Granted it worked for In Flames, but that's only because they built up a hefty fanbase from their career before they started dumbing down their music to attract a younger fanbase which probably doesn't even listen to them anymore.

I don't know why you're making this Jesper vs Anders, cause its not what I'm talking about at all. But to answer your nonsense, I'm not sure Jesper still can play. 1 kinda OK riff from a song doesn't save him from me bashing Cyhra.

He can definitely still play, but I'm not sure how creative he is these days. He seems to be stuck in the post-Clayman IF mindset of throw in some unnecessary electronics, focus the song entirely on the chorus and bury the good riffs under vocals and the aforementioned unnecessary electronics. It worked when he had Bjorn to bounce off for other ideas but I really hope that isn't all he's got and that Euge has had more of an influence than we've heard on the opening single. This album is going to be a disappointment otherwise.

Keep believing that matey :D

Out Of My Life just has way too much emphasis on the chorus, which is OK but very simple, so it doesn't need to be repeated that many times. There's literally no thought given to the verses at all, they barely even exist. Outside of that you have some uninspired chugga chugga riffs and a melodic section which sounds like it's about to go somewhere awesome then fizzles out into the chugga riffs and the massively overplayed chorus. They could have at least added some extra chorus lyrics if they were going to repeat it so many times. Or created a cool pre-chorus to mix it up a bit.

I actually quite like the first 30 seconds. The electronics are annoying but the riffs are nice. Then we break down into the standard LTM/nu In Flames formula of the instruments disappearing to make way for vocal melodies and the occasional riff underneath. I'm really not a fan of this approach at all. 57 seconds in we get the first chorus already. I don't understand why the generic riffs and scattered electronics goes on for so long between 1:25 - 1:38. It's not great anyway but should have ended at 1:31. Second verse barely lasts 13 seconds before we're back at the chorus again, less than a minute after we heard it at 0:57, and it lasts 30 seconds, almost three times the length of the amaemic second verse. It's literally the definition of rushing to the chorus.

So at this point we get some nice guitar melodies, Jesper style, and I'm thinking OK... here we go. We're going to get a great solo to at least break up the monotony a bit. But nope. The melodies are nice but it feels like this section was thrown in there without any real thought and it doesn't go anywhere and the last 30 seconds of the song is the chorus again.

Overall the chorus takes up almost a minute and a half of a track that only lasts 3 minutes and 17 seconds. That's kind of ridiculous when there's no variation to the chorus at any point in the slightest. It feels really lazy to be honest, like they came up with the chorus first, thought it was really good and threw in some other stuff to briefly pad out the rest of the song. Even the intro is basically just the chorus vocals in riff form.

I'm revising my score to 5/10. Not feeling this one much and it wasn't a good choice for a single imo as it doesn't show anything close to what the band can actually do. Amaranthe does this kind of thing way better and with a lot more variety. If Jake wants to step out of their shadow then the rest of the album is going to need a lot more creativity than this.
Very good and thorough analysis. The only thing I disagree with is the electronics. I liked them and they led into the early guitars well in my opinion. My moment of disappointment happened at 0:30 when the vocals kicked in.

And very true about the chorus making up half the song. That’s why this song sucks and why we can’t stop talking about how Cyhra and IF both have the same problem.

Also, everyone keeps talking about Jesper harmonies. First, maybe Euge did them, not even Jesper. But why are they so quiet?

The most disappointing thing for me is how bland the single is, after literally over a year of hype. The band members were talking about this being an evolution from LTM and the next step, but then the first single they release sounds like a LtM b-side which wasn't good enough to make the cut. Not a great look.
You hit the nail on the head. We were misled or the band self-marketing took a misstep.

After all of Euge’s hype about this being a more guitar-oriented album and then they release an adult contemporary song where the guitars are in the back.... just doesn’t add up.

If nobody said anything about the new album, I wouldn’t have been disappointed by this song. I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t have expected anything else. The song is not surprising at all to me after Letters to Myself. It is surprising after reading Euge’s interviews and hearing his clips.

I don't hate Jesper, I like him a lot. But when you talk shit about In Flames because of their musical direction and then form a band that goes more "commercial" than IF, its bothering me.
Not true at all. He calles (sigh, I don't know why I have to repeat this once again) SC lame and said they should change their name. But he also praised battles and the last album, our house included. So stop making up things.

To me the "create songs for live shows" excuse is bullshit. The reason LtM as a whole isn't great live is because there are too many mid-tempo songs with the same structure. If they had a little more variety it would be fine.
Especially the second half. The las four, five songs sound all the same.

Making a song simpler and having the chorus repeated a hundred times doesn't = "better live song", it just = boring.
Yes, but it works for pop and alt-rock. And these bands seem to want to do some kind of mix in order to become popular. This song is 100% radio friendly.

Look at the comments on YouTube.

Several people praised Jesper for his melodic leads. Official Cyhra account commented several different times and said that most of it is Euge.