New Cyhra Album 2018-2019

Well I think STYE could also stand to be improved and Jesper was very involved with that one as far as I know (correct me if I’m wrong though). They got lucky that they were on the upswing. IMO the production did not boost their popularity, that was due to other factors. But they might have attributed their success to that. Maybe they still do. They just take way too many risks with their sound that don’t pay off and even if they did the pay off would have been minimal.

Now on ASOP I could very well see the band telling Jesper essentially “shut up and play — you’re unreliable and don’t get any opinion any more”. Jesper acts like an asshole, band reroutes, Jesper gets more depressed on the margins but is also bound by the golden handcuffs.

It's mainly the drums on STYE that are the problem imo. The vocals are well mixed and the guitars sound consistent throughout the record. Anders sounds powerful but not so much that the melodies are hidden by the vocals. The leads and riffs are clear, even if the actual tone of the guitars is a little different to the previous releases. The main issue with STYE, other than drums, is that at times the music doesn't sound as powerful as it should. You only hear that oomph when the songs are played live. Anyway, we can disagree with how they chose to produce the record, but at least it sounds professional. ASOP has a lot of inconsistencies which bug me. Especially some melodies being drowned out either by the terrible choice of guitar tone or Anders' vocals. I really struggle with it.

With ASOP I can’t hear shit and the lead guitars are even keyboard like at times.

Funny you should say that, I was listening to "Eraser" off the EP today and had a similar thought. It's one of the best modern IF songs imo, but god damn that guitar tone drags it down a few notches. At times it does sound more like a fucking keytar than a guitar, and that sucks because Eraser has some killer melodies.

Funny you should say that, I was listening to "Eraser" off the EP today and had a similar thought. It's one of the best modern IF songs imo, but god damn that guitar tone drags it down a few notches. At times it does sound more like a fucking keytar than a guitar, and that sucks because Eraser has some killer melodies.
Agree, great song and great EP. Imagine if it had the production of SC plus a little reverb. The album would have been killer.

Now on ASOP I could very well see the band telling Jesper essentially “shut up and play — you’re unreliable and don’t get any opinion any more”. Jesper acts like an asshole, band reroutes, Jesper gets more depressed on the margins but is also bound by the golden handcuffs.
So you have not seen the documentary.

Just the opposite. They appear as a band working and having fun together.

Yeah, I have to admit when you watch that it puts a question mark over where the supposed animosity between Anders and Jesper is. I guess it's possible most of it happened after the album was released, seems like Jesper was at his worst during 09/10, or maybe they acted like they were best buds for the documentary so it didn't turn into a total shitshow :D I dunno. It is weird though.

Whatever it was, I certainly don't believe they were at each other's throats for 15 years. For example, it would've been impossible to complete the Colony and Clayman tours in such circumstances. The band's touring schedule was pretty insane back then.

An interesting quote I found from Jesper:

“Will I ever return to In Flames? No one never knows what the future brings,but the chances are slim as they embarked on a different musical journey,they have a solid lineup and Im on a totally different path in life right now. I would never go into details why I quit, but there is always one official story and there is the other……Alcohol is a quite small part of it. That can also answer the next question, what do I think of their new stuff. Listen to The Resistance and that explains a bit of it. We simply went different directions. I need to stand behind and feel inspired with what I do 100%, I owe it to the fans and obviously the band. All respect to In Flames and their new approach, but for me the band was a guitar/riff based melo-death band. And Its not anymore, but still amazing musicianship and I don’t think its wrong. But its not the vision I had when we started out.” – Jesper Strömblad, 9/30/14

Proof that the musical direction was an issue for him, even though the likes of Krofius/Slave constantly state that his alcohol addition was the primary reason he quit.

Different path? Both of them are melodic now. Thpugh if are more alt rock than metal now.

An interesting quote I found from Jesper:

Proof that the musical direction was an issue for him, even though the likes of Krofius/Slave constantly state that his alcohol addition was the primary reason he quit.

The musical direction was an issue, but Jesper also was no longer in shape for long tours.

He cancelled on his bandmates 3 days before the ASOP tour was supposed to start. Fortunately for the rest of them, Niclas was available.

Source: https://puregrainaudio.com/interviews/interview-with-in-flames-guitarist-bjoern-gelotte

The musical direction was an issue, but Jesper also was no longer in shape for long tours.

He cancelled on his bandmates 3 days before the ASOP tour was supposed to start. Fortunately for the rest of them, Niclas was available.

Source: https://puregrainaudio.com/interviews/interview-with-in-flames-guitarist-bjoern-gelotte

Yeah it was clearly an issue, no denying that, but Jesper's overall "checking out" of the band was clearly more than just alcohol addiction. His heart obviously wasn't in it any more, and the thought of touring and having to play a bunch of songs for a band whose musical direction he no longer agreed with probably exacerbated his issues significantly. It's no excuse for the way he acted, but still.

Reactions: Pallbearer
Yeah it was clearly an issue, no denying that, but Jesper's overall "checking out" of the band was clearly more than just alcohol addiction. His heart obviously wasn't in it any more, and the thought of touring and having to play a bunch of songs for a band whose musical direction he no longer agreed with probably exacerbated his issues significantly. It's no excuse for the way he acted, but still.
[citiation needed]

The amount of bullshit that comes out of nowhere. So Jesper, who said that he thinks ASOP was - at least musically - great did not want to play in IF anymore, because he didn't like their new direction? How does this make sense in your mind?

- Guys, this record is awesome!! Can't wait to leave this band and not play any of these songs I think are cool, yipppeeee!!!

[citiation needed]

The amount of bullshit that comes out of nowhere. So Jesper, who said that he thinks ASOP was - at least musically - great did not want to play in IF anymore, because he didn't like their new direction? How does this make sense in your mind?

- Guys, this record is awesome!! Can't wait to leave this band and not play any of these songs I think are cool, yipppeeee!!!

Well, if you read Jesper's quote then it's his own opinion that the band was evolving in a musical direction he didn't agree with. Just because he thinks ASOP is good doesn't necessarily mean he wants to play those songs live for years on end. Also the highlighted part was obviously referring to future releases rather than past releases. Good misinterpretation though.

[citiation needed]

If you can make your own reality, Jesper being expelled from the band, then anybody else can.

I wouldn't talk about misinterpretation when you constantly talk about things out of context, and are always very liberal whether you use critical thinking or not. Like right now, it's painfully obvious that you are omitting it; if it was something that you wouldn't like to hear, you'd tear it apart.

What music direction is he talking about? Their music direction was ASOP when he left (well, he was probably forced to leave), so that's gonna be a serious doubt from me dawg. We can make up some shitty stories about the possibility that Anders was showing Jesper some of his ideas about future song ideas, but we all know IF is lazy as fuck, and the song themselves start out by Björn and Jesper to begin with.

Or do we want to blame Anders' voice on the record? The problem is, Jesper was very nasty about Anders enhancing his voice on the records, and given how varied he sounded from TJR till that point (ASOP), there was absolutely no indication that he would deliver his singing the same way he did on ASOP.

It just stinks, man, and the more Jesper opens his mouth, the more he contradicts himself. I trust him that he would rather return to the pre-R2R sound, but ASOP was the 4th record in a row which featured this "new" In Flames. Isn't it a bit too convenient that the exact time it starts to bother you a lot is when you are about to be kicked out of your own band because you can't function normally due to your drinking habits? Just asking...
If you can make your own reality, Jesper being expelled from the band, then anybody else can.
Umm, what is my made up reality exactly? That a band member was kicked out of the band because he repeatedly sabotaged the band's work and indirectly their future, despite numerous* attempts to help him out or warn him? The pieces are out there, and it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to put them together.

*We will probably never know the extent of this issue. Anders will never come out and name every single time Jesper was sabotaging their work, nor will he tell us how many opportunities Jesper got. Maybe the band was mean and did not help him at all; maybe they put their heart and soul into helping him, but to no use. These are all just theories, not facts. But the issue itself was real.

Fun trivia: There was a similar situation here, except that one of the musicians chose to tell everything to the media. It was a rap duo, very famous here, but during one of the shows, Majka (one part of the duo) told the audience that it is really fucking sad that it came to this, but his partner is not here, and won't be. He couldn't make it, because he is coked out his mind, and effective immediately he is kicked out from the band.

Later, he gave an hour long interview where he exposed his bandmate. He talked about how many shows he had to cancel because his partner was in some coke-frenzy and was afraid to come to the stage, or simply turned off his phone hours before the show. Long story short, it divided the people. Some praised him for trying everything in order to help his friend out, others were blasting him for talking about these private stuff in public.

I think everyone is better off that Anders sticked with the "it's sad to lose a friend, but our problems were too big" story, rather than exposing a quasi hero figure to many of you. I wish that Majka interview was translated, because the amount of shit we, the people don't know about what's going on with being in a group with an addict is brutal. He said he cut his partner's pay in HALF, and told him that if he can complete X amount of shows, he will get it. His partner agreed but couldn't do it. He rather coked himself out so much that he couldn't go onstage and lost half his fucking income.

Umm, what is my made up reality exactly? That a band member was kicked out of the band because he repeatedly sabotaged the band's work and indirectly their future, despite numerous* attempts to help him out or warn him? The pieces are out there, and it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to put them together.

Citation needed.

Reactions: DE4life