New Daath Album

Yeah song wise concealers was better, but I think this is a grower.
Now that mark said that the album is "raw", he just confirms my impressions, concealers had that warm punchy guitar tone, almost no gain due to the Emil or Emil playing (I can't remember right now, I guess mark explained it at the time that was out)
while this one is really rawer in a very good way
Great job Mark ;) I'm enjoying the sound a lot ;)

Seriously Mark, how do you do that? Your guitars always just have this thing going on that makes me cream in my pants. Amazing.

Edit: One more thing: the dynamics on this album are incredible. You just don't see metal albums do this. Love it.

I don't know shit about the production or anything as I prefer raw and chaotic kind of sound anyway, but the songs and the performance are fucking ferocious. Just have to love Emil's gypsy jazz licks. He's my absolute favorite metal guitarist nowadays

Song wise I actually prefer The Concealers over this....new one is more over the top brutality though.

Same here. My favourite parts on this album are the fucked-up parts, i wish there was more of that stuff and less "almost cookie cutter" metal parts.

I still bought the album and it's been growing on me.

Saw them live a couple of months ago in Paris, they killed it, and were nice guys to chat with also.

Also, i'm surprised to hear Bury Your Dead's "The Beauty and the breakdown" is raw/unpolished, because it seems to me that a lot of bedroom producers are leaning toward that type of production, using a lot of drums samples/processing and stuff. Great production anyway.

There is no snare sample on beauty and the breakdown and we only used a kick sample because the band demanded it. Its a sample of the kick we used from that session.

There is also no drum editing and very little editing otherwise...

There is no snare sample on beauty and the breakdown and we only used a kick sample because the band demanded it. Its a sample of the kick we used from that session.

There is also no drum editing and very little editing otherwise...

OK.

Just to make myself clear, i didn't say it wasn't natural, i just said it's quite funny to see tons of producers/bands trying to get that tone relying mainly on production "tricks" (external drums samples libraries, heavy processing) when i guess their rough "mix" may sound nothing like this in the first place. And i think this type of production is quite unique and only works well for Bury Your Dead and bands that are VERY similar.