NEW SOILWORK ALBUM

There is some fucking amazing guitar work on this album. And drums! And well everything, theres alot of awesome musicianship throughout. Cept the two vai moments, anyone else pick those?

Am I the only one that has noticed a really annoying frequency around 2k that sticks out like a sore thumb in parts of the clean outro in King of the Threshold (the one which leads into Let This River Flow?) It's quite obvious and very annoying... The album is still growing on me though, after a few weeks... It really is amazing and it sounds fantastic!

This is the album i've been waiting for, since Sworn.... kinda blew. "The Akuma Afterglow" and "Night Comes Clean" make me feel euphoric. It's nice to hear an AWESOME metal record with clean vocals and no autotune! I tune out the world when I listen to Soilwork, this band is the only thing that gets me higher than some killer smoke. I'd punt 100,000 zygotes to have wichers' lead phrasing/style/classy playing.

Could not agree more. I always skip the first song. Great playing and riffing but the vox is ruining the whole thing. It is lika an mosquito in your bedroom when trying to sleep. Thats the backside of having a bandmember as a producer, you will end upp with a couple of crappy tunes that a "real" producer would have slayed. Track 1 and 5 is pulling this album down, if they had left those two songs outside the ablum the over all rating would have been higher from my booth. Enough whining now :) Soilwork still kicks

TRACKS 1 and 5 ARE MY FAVORITE TRACKS ON THE ALBUM!

Lead playing on this album is definitely SICK! I was pleasantly surprised by the whole album. Love the production. Glad they upped the technicality of the guitar playing...I really missed that in the last few albums. Some of the clean vocs are a bit annoying, but not enough to distract from my enjoyment.

Been listening to this record in my car lately non-stop. I think that every song is just awesome at it's own. The production is very awesome, it's definitely a Jens Bogren mix but when you listen closer there are so many elements which sound different, which is pretty refreshing. And Wichers did an awesome job tracking/producing the record

And I'm guessing Peter Wichers is one of the best metal guitarists ever. It'd be an honor to have a great guitarist and producer like him join our community.

Only niggling problem with this album is that it doesn't sound as large and big as Stabbing the Drama.
Doesn't take away from the music one bit, because it's obviously still a great sound production, but I think Stabbing the Drama will still be the go to production reference for metal in general, let alone just Soilwork's discography.

STD is quite the unique mix though. Somewhat scooped, while this one is more balanced frequency-wise (with low-mids a bit more proeminent). More low mids in guitar tones tend to sound less wide than less, see Clayman for example, guitars scooped to hell and back but boosted by that gigantic bass tone, still sounding natural but LARGE.

I never really perceived STD to be scooped sounding though.
Just A/B both the Panic Broadcast and STD back to back, STD in fact sounds a bit middier, which seem to be mostly due to that odd mid spike that I remember Ermz talking about when he made that STD love (see what I did there :lol:) thread. I tend to think if the guitars have much more mids than that, it starts to cloud over the mix a bit.
Something about the way Bogren mixes the snare drum seems to really let down his mixes. It's like, his mixes are really cool, but the snares are always too dark sounding and too small, and just don't cut through enough.
Definitely noticed it on the Katatonia records he has engineered and mix, as well as the Opeth stuff he's done.

I never really perceived STD to be scooped sounding though.
Just A/B both the Panic Broadcast and STD back to back, STD in fact sounds a bit middier, which seem to be mostly due to that odd mid spike that I remember Ermz talking about when he made that STD love (see what I did there :lol:) thread. I tend to think if the guitars have much more mids than that, it starts to cloud over the mix a bit.
Something about the way Bogren mixes the snare drum seems to really let down his mixes. It's like, his mixes are really cool, but the snares are always too dark sounding and too small, and just don't cut through enough.
Definitely noticed it on the Katatonia records he has engineered and mix, as well as the Opeth stuff he's done.

:lol:

Sure I see what you mean. Funny that you saw STD as middier, I didn't A/B them though. I personally don't mind the way Bogren mixes his snares though, not as in-your-face as Sneap's but IMHO more fitting. I see what you mean for sure though, they're a bit small, but I personally wouldn't say they're too dark sounding.

Shit. Forgot to talk to Peter about the forums. Ill have to email him about it. I did, however, talk with Bjorn and Sven a bit about the production on the album. FWIW, there were parts that the keys were tracked louder, but Bogren mixed them lower... and vice versa. However, they liked the results a lot and kept it Jens' way. Good stuff.