New DREAM THEATER thoughts....

Wherewolf

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2008
....In my opinion this cd is the closest we will get to their early material. Still, in my humble opinion, (Mike Portnoy is an amazing drummer and should leave ALL vocals to Labrie, PLEASE) the "cookie monster" vocals that flare up now and again are completely uncalled for. HOWEVER...musically this is off the frikkin' chart amazing! Picture "awake", "SFAM", and "Octavarium" in a blender, (hehe). As usual........John Petrucci OWNS on this disc, OH MY GOD! It appears these guys still have a full tank!:OMG:

I think our boys have (awesomely) been listening to some more extreme metal. There are freaking blastbeats at the end of the first track. I welcome that kind of stuff. "Cookie Monster" vocals are not uncalled for if they fit the music, as I believe they do in the heavier sections. Grow a pair, dude.

Well Portnoy enjoys bands like Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and Protest the Hero, so its not unexpected for those flavors to make an appearance. I'm waiting till this one gets released.

I think our boys have (awesomely) been listening to some more extreme metal. There are freaking blastbeats at the end of the first track. I welcome that kind of stuff. "Cookie Monster" vocals are not uncalled for if they fit the music, as I believe they do in the heavier sections. Grow a pair, dude.

I am not sure that putting something that sounds like a cross between a leafblower and a garbage disposal grinding up chicken bones over music that calls for creative melody instead of noise will EVER fit the music. But hey, thats just me.

Its damn impressive IMO. Reminds me of Awake meets SFAM and I absolutely loved both of those albums.

We need a seperate Wherewolf sub forum for evertime a CD *leaks*.

***Madman, I was actually going by the 2 tracks I heard on a live radio show. I DO NOT have a leaked cd, sorry I gave that impression. I heard 2 tracks (about 25 minutes) but enough to make an initial judgement IMO.

It is just you, man.

I know. But the funny thing is, I dont know anyone that likes that growling crap that likes RAP, but the two are pretty much the same. In fact, usually in rap you can understand the words. Ill take melody over noise, or over rythm in either case. Just my opinion. =)

***Madman, I was actually going by the 2 tracks I heard on a live radio show. I DO NOT have a leaked cd, sorry I gave that impression. I heard 2 tracks (about 25 minutes) but enough to make an initial judgement IMO.

Haha I know. Just busting balls. :kickass::headbang:

Damn, dude, what'd I do to you?

Nothing. Just making an observation.

And look at that hes giving someone this impression after only hearing "2 songs"! *shrug*. ;)

"Cookie Monster" vocals are not uncalled for if they fit the music, as I believe they do in the heavier sections. Grow a pair, dude.

Pa-lease! For the most part, growls make music sound like crap! It fits in here and there, but begins to be redundant after being used by a million bands. :rolleyes:

I will say this. The growls that Serenity uses fits like a glove and I don't know why. :headbang:

~Brian~

A million bands sing with no growls too, are they being redundant too? Either way, you people need to stop saying that Portnoy is growling in that song. You're probably the same fools that say Russ was growling on Paradise Lost. Prog fans are funny sometimes...

After listening to these songs many times, I think they're awesome. With Systematic Chaos and now this new material, they're finally accomplishing what they tried to do with Train of Thought and failed - write pretty heavy music. Some of you need to let go of the fact that they're not going to write Awake again (nor should they), and appreciate them for the quality music they continue to put out. I also think the production sounds good on these tracks, particularly the drums.