New DREAM THEATER thoughts....

I haven't heard any of this album yet, but there is a notion put out here by others that growling can't be done with melody, which is utter crap. M. Akerfeldt, K. Sanders and dozens of other death metal singers lay that argument to rest. Now I'm going to have to go find DT samples of the new album to hear what these "extreme", "oh so scary", "cookie monster" vox ACTUALLY sound like.

it ain't growling or really much in the area of extreme vocals. And it's not very long. My beef with it is, much like a lot of their music this decade, the extended instrumental sections and specifically the plastic-sounding keyboard patch Jordan seems totally uninterested in abandoning.

If they didn't include that specific thing in their songs, I'd be 3 or 4 times more optimistic about this or any of their work in the future.

:lol:...your sense of humor is priceless my man! :kickass:

~Brian~

Sorry, from "cooking monsters" I got this mental picture of Frankenstein in a kitchen wearing an apron and it went swiftly downhill from there... :heh:

mëtålspëd;8214402 said:
I still haven't heard these tracks. Perhaps I will stumble upon them to better inform myself of these drastic stylistic changes.

Same here. I have to say, I'm cautiously interested in hearing these....and this, coming from a longtime DT fan who just hasn't been enthralled with their recent output.

And yeah, Kyle, that now-infamous keyboard patch just shouts "DT"....and not always as a Good Thing. :erk:

As a huge Dream Theater fan who actually likes the majority of their catalog, I've been following this thread but haven't heard the tracks...

... until today. I'm now completely baffled at some of the conversation in this thread about the tracks. Growling vocals? Really?

I'm sorry... but where did he growl? I heard a spoken word part, if that's what you mean.

There is melody in growling/screaming, at least to me there is with the good singers of it, but if you don't like that type of vocal then you are going to stop listening to it or hate it right off and not really listen. There are many great growlers that are very articulate and you can understand what they are singing, to name a few, Dan Swano, Mikael Akerfeldt, Angela Gossow, Peter Tatgren, Randy Blythe, Vintersorg, ICS Vortex(Simon) and many others. There are tons as well that aren't articulate and just growl and I can't stand those but will still listen and enjoy it as long as the music is good(examples are any singer that has been with Cryptopsy).

Chris Barnes is another that is really hard to understand but I absolutely love his growls!! And Screetches!!!! Long Live Six Feet Under!!:kickass:

And by that I mean... Petrucci soars....Rudess wails....Portnoy is just sick...vocals and all..... Labrie is awsome gifted and talented.... and Myung keeps everything grounded.... The progressions are sick.... the melodies are sweet..... and it's just another piece of prog metal mastery.......and we've only heard 2 songs......I cant wait for The Shattered Fortress...............