new Evergrey album-TORN

May 9, 2003
After a very silent couple of months in the Evergrey camp, they have finally put out a ton of new info/media pertaining to their new album, Torn (including this title). It has come in the form of a 4-5 minute video on their blog which plays many short clips of songs off of the album along with photos/art for the new album being displayed. You can find the video clip here: http://evergrey.net/blog/

I really think they have turned back in the right direction with this one and hear a lot of their more proggy influences making a bit of a comeback. There are more distinct keyboard sounds and sections within the music and the theme has gone back to those in which Evergrey does best; loneliness, death, the occult, etc....

I know a lot of folks here do not care too much for Evergrey, but I do know there are some who at least like albums such as S.D.T and ISoT who may hear some resemblance to these in the new material.

I'm sort of familiar with them, I have In search of truth, the DVD and Monday morning shitocolypse (I'm neutral on all of their stuff except for this album, which warrants a :puke:). This album sounds like it may be a return to form though.

I'm hoping the new album will be awesome...

Almost as awesome as this
1428808368_l.gif

ugliest fucking promo video I've seen, but I approve of the music!

I think the photos/album art look good. I do think it isn't the most well put together promo video ever though with all the words spamming constantly saying cheesy things like "the biggest roller coaster ride you have ever been on!". I was really most interested in the 5 minutes of new music personally. Even so, I don't think it was meant to be some super polished promo video as the band probably put it together themselves being that they as far as I know still don't have a new label. They also plan on releasing a new one every month until the album is out so it is not like this particular video is meant to be some stand alone end all be all promotional video for their new album.

I still don't understand the massive lashback about MMA. Just cause it's not "proggy" or "tr00" enough for some ego-minded people. Still a kickass metal record. Evergrey is a solid band with no "bad" releases.

It's not that MMA is not proggy enough, I just haven't been able to get into it. The new direction they took with that album just didn't sit well with me.

It was that MMA sucked. They lost what made them Evergrey (though i'd argue they lost it with Inner Circle... i didn't dig that album much). I haven't watched the vid yet but i'm glad to see the initial reaction and it gives me hope haha

MMA to me did not sound like them, it sounded very distant. I couldn't get into it, either. I listened to it, but couldn't get it, not like their other stuff. I like the sound of this new stuff. They are a great live band, too.

I think MMA was still an ok record, by no means was it horrible; however, to me it was their weakest record yet and was reallly straying too far from what had, up until then, made them distinguishly Evergrey. All of the guitars were tuned to be more "mainstream" sounding, while the music seemed to had lost all of its atmosphere due to lack of keys. Also, almost every song had that same "chug a chug" guitar riff fit into a nice radio friendly 3-4 minute time frame. This also kept most of the songs from evolving into more than a typical verse/chorus/repeat song structure.

MMA still had a few somewhat notable songs, but like I said, it is their weakest album in my view and made the least impact of all their records to me. To those who like it quite a bit, I do not look down upon you as MMA is still a pretty good album. It just seemed to lack some of the things that have in the past defined their sound.

@zach
If you haven't watched the trailer yet you should, you may be surprised. I myself have seen it like 10 times now already...

It was that MMA sucked. They lost what made them Evergrey (though i'd argue they lost it with Inner Circle... i didn't dig that album much). I haven't watched the vid yet but i'm glad to see the initial reaction and it gives me hope haha

Oh and if you didn't like TIC then you may be very pleasantly surprised by the sound of the new one. It really sounds to be a mix of RD and ISoT. No string quartets here...

I did enjoy TIC quite a bit but I do see how you can say that is where they kind of started to lose the distinct sound that made them. I just think that the sound of TIC worked well as a "one album" kind of thing. I would not want them to have evolved into always having that sound on their albums.

I think TIC had some good songs, but i found it very difficult to appreciate compared to what they'd done before. No matter what, i think in search of truth is one of the best albums ever, not just in the genre of prog/power/true/heavy metal. It's hands down just incredible.

So now you should be checking out the trailer :)

Like I said; I really enjoyed TIC, and although at the time I never noticed, I can clearly see now how it deterred from the sound that would be expected of an Evergrey album. I actually think MMA may have brought me to realize this too. Even so, I still really like TIC unlike MMA because at least it didn't change in a way that made it sound more primitive.

Oh, and yes, ISoT is definately one of their best albums. Even though it isn't that bad, my one gripe is that the sound quality could be a bit better. It isn't as bad as the quality of SDT (which, like SyX's Damnation Game, would be a total masterpiece if it weren't for such poor sound quality), but I think better sound quality would only make it even more impressive.

I also think the concept of alien abduction is something that was definately unique. The sad thing is that it almost seems that later Tom acted sort of ashamed of the album. He had that concept on his mind at the time and made this incredible concept album with it. Later, some people showed some disgust in the theme calling it an odd thing to write music about. Then when RD was coming out I remember Tom making a statement about how he had moved past his themes of aliens and that those worried could be rest assured.