new Evergrey album-TORN

Meh, I thought the lyrics about religion in TiC were a lot more intellectual and mature than anything from MMA.

That's just it though. Englund said (and I agree with him on this) that while ISoT is a friggin cool concept and greatly executed, it's not really personal. It's not really "real" enough for him. While stuff like TiC and MMA, who knows. That could be you or somebody you know. It's more relevant.

I still don't understand the massive lashback about MMA. Just cause it's not "proggy" or "tr00" enough for some ego-minded people. Still a kickass metal record. Evergrey is a solid band with no "bad" releases.

I still don't get it, and I doubt I ever will. Oh well...

I agree 100%. I liked most of MMA, but as has been stated, it wasn't their strongest release. I really like RD & ISotT, probably my top 2 EG cds....

That's just it though. Englund said (and I agree with him on this) that while ISoT is a friggin cool concept and greatly executed, it's not really personal. It's not really "real" enough for him. While stuff like TiC and MMA, who knows. That could be you or somebody you know. It's more relevant.

I guess this is true, even so, I feel that maybe concepts like ISoT may be more directed at helping people imagine what it would be like to be in such a rare/strange predicament. The feelings of being alone and nobody believing you and thinking you are nothing more than a nut job. Whether they were or not, people who think they were upducted by aliens sense the event(s) they remember as being real, to them it IS real no matter what.

I guess what I am getting at is that something like ISoT plays on the listeners abilty to "think" by putting themselves in an odd situation. Albums like RD and TIC play more on the listeners ability to "feel" by expressing feelings that go along with the things that everybody experiences and deals with in life (death, religion/cults, loneliness).

Overall you are right to say that ISoT is not very personal at all, it was hitting at something that is/has only been experienced by a rare few people; however, I don't think that this makes ISoT less "mature" than their later albums.

Oh, and about MMA, could anybody tell me if there is even any kind of central theme or idea going on in that album? I haven't come across anything in the music that says too much. All I know is that I remeber Tom saying that MMA (I don't know if he was talking about just the song or the album as a whole) is kind of about the idea of being a slave to the system. Kind of going about everyday doing what we need to in order to get by and make a living, all at the expense of our living happy lives. We wake up on Monday morning and it is kind of like doomsday as we have to get up early and go back to work again. I really think that theme is only apparent in the title track but I am not sure as I have not put nearly as much listening into MMA as I have all the other EG albums.

I call bullshit that ISoT cannot have special meaning just because the story is based in fiction. Personally, i hate the lyrics that are blatant and personal and about social issues, and they have less of an impact than fantasy based lyrics in my opinion.

King Diamond has lyrics about completely fantastic stuff or horror stories, but that doesn't rob one BIT of the point from what king conveys. I'll use a very personal example in the puppet master. it's a story about two lovers being murdered, turned into puppets and being forced to perform for an audience. when something goes wrong, one is sent far away and there is no way they can die and meet in the afterlife and no way they can get to one another. it's desolate, lonesome and incredibly emotional. While i've never been to Budapest, never been murdered or turned into a magical life-sized human puppet, this album still has a very strong emotional impact on me. I've been just ripped apart to nothingness inside by this album FAR more than any "realistic" song with a concept that could happen.

Honestly, the "realistic" concepts should be left to emo and radio rock. I like metal for the fantasy, be it king diamond's horror stories or power metal's swords and sorcery.

I call bullshit that ISoT cannot have special meaning just because the story is based in fiction. Personally, i hate the lyrics that are blatant and personal and about social issues, and they have less of an impact than fantasy based lyrics in my opinion.

King Diamond has lyrics about completely fantastic stuff or horror stories, but that doesn't rob one BIT of the point from what king conveys. I'll use a very personal example in the puppet master. it's a story about two lovers being murdered, turned into puppets and being forced to perform for an audience. when something goes wrong, one is sent far away and there is no way they can die and meet in the afterlife and no way they can get to one another. it's desolate, lonesome and incredibly emotional. While i've never been to Budapest, never been murdered or turned into a magical life-sized human puppet, this album still has a very strong emotional impact on me. I've been just ripped apart to nothingness inside by this album FAR more than any "realistic" song with a concept that could happen.

Honestly, the "realistic" concepts should be left to emo and radio rock. I like metal for the fantasy, be it king diamond's horror stories or power metal's swords and sorcery.

I totally agree with you here.

I do still like the more "personal" concepts with bands such as Evergrey because they still take it to a much deeper level than some mainstream band does. Plus, the theme Evergrey seems to deal with the most is the occult. That kind of thing is not something you really see that much, basically never in mainstream music.

ISoT is great. Don't get me wrong. It was the first Evergrey album I heard. Blew me away. I think they've matured since then and haven't fallen off yet. Which is why I'm psyched for this new disc. They've never been "A" material, but they've never been less than the constant "B" they started with.

I absolutely just do not think that just because they move on from fictional yet incredibly strongly emotional material to emotional realistic material... well, that doesn't make them mature in my eyes. I think they were as "mature" as anything else they did with ISoT.

Englund is just trying to sell his new shitty albums. Speaking of, is still haven't watched that trailer :lol: brb.

Oh it's not just the concept. The delivery and the production have improved.

I think the production of ISOT is top notch...better than any of their others. I do think there is a maturity that took place on a personal musical level...between ISOT and IC, the guitarist(don't recal his name now) has matured(less is more...a focus on taste not flair) and Tom's vocals became less predictable and more effective. Can't speak for MMA...haven't heard it.

ISOT is one of my top all time metal releases.

I'm excited about this next release. Is MMA worth it?

That's the thing that always bothered me about Evergrey, there are sooo many people that think they are "ok", but not outstanding. Every EG album after ISoT, except for MMA, I have heard song samples before release that just blew me into major anticipation for its release. I know a lot of people say that EG music does nothing unique that makes it stand out. Yes, they play heavy metal music at a core definition level with clean/melodic vocal lines; however, I cannot think of any other band out there that is making music this way? They have strayed a little from this critique with ISoT and TIC where the first had a more progressive vibe and the second made use of a string quartet. Even so, for the most part when you define EG's genre of metal there is not much more to say beyond "metal", "heavy metal", or possibly "melodic metal". I cannot think of any other band that I would categorize as any of these as I could probably dub them something such as power, thrash, speed, death, melo-death, black, or whatever else metal.

All in all, I couldn't describe technically what makes EG so special to me if my life depended on it. There is just something magical about it that can't be understood; be it song structure/composition that just seems to work, or even maybe just being made up of musicians that are compatible and just work well to compliment one another.

@schenkadere
the guitarists name is Henrik Danhage, he looks like the guy from Nickleback disturbingly enough.

@zach
well if you finally checked the trailer out at least let us know if you think it is at least a nice change from MMA.

@schenkadere
the guitarists name is Henrik Danhage, he looks like the guy from Nickleback disturbingly enough.

Thanks dude...yeah...I really dig his playing on TIC...his style matured quite a bit.

I think this new one is going to be great based on the teaser...I hope so...they're really one of the only modern bands I'm into.

Nope, only a tentative release for this summer. As far as any fans know Evergrey is still without a new label at this point in time; however, the band said there would be a new teaser trailer like the one already up every month until the albums release.