New Fates Warning

BloodStainedWalls said:
Btw, wtf is AOR???!! Air on Radio? Ass or Rimjob? Aardvark or Reindeer? hmm?
This post wasn't appreciated enough, even if it did cause a thread-sized argument. :loco:

I listened to this track the other day, last time I heard Fates Warning was on some sampler in the early 90's. It's not bad, but I know I would never listen to an album of theirs if I owned one, so I won't.

IOfTheStorm said:
Ok
Here it is how it works
An album can be TOTALLY metal, even if it has a non metal song in it.
Do you agree with that?
Because if you dont, you think that your avatar is not... totally metal.
lame discussion subject
I know that my avatar is not totally metal, jackass.

And JayKeeley, don't trust anyone that tells you Parallels or Disconnected for that matter, is better than The Spectre Within. They need to stop smoking that PCP.

And what is U.S. Power Metal? How is that different than other countries' power metal?

All Fates is great, don't get me wrong. You can't compare the eras though, they are vastly different. Ray Alder isn't the addition that changed their sound, Mark Zonder is. The difference in sound from No Exit to Perfect Symmetry is far greater than that of Awaken The Guardian to No Exit.

FW .. even though they came out before Dream Theater ... it seems to me always existed in their shadow .. since the 2 bands coexisted.

Speaking of DT ... am I the only one that wishes they would give the epic song writing a rest already and write some cool, normal song lengh dities ... ala their first release ... some real burners ... I know they can do it.

I agree, Papa Josh. Zonder is what changed FW's sound primarily.

anywho

1. Disconnected
2. Perfect Symmetry
3. Inside Out (used to hate this one, but it grew on me)
4. Paralells
5. A Pleasant Shade of Grey
6. No Exit
7. Awaken the Guardian
8. Spectre Within
20. Night On Brocken

yes ... the cheese factor is very high in Europe ... especially in Switzerland

lurch70 said:
yes ... the cheese factor is very high in Europe ... especially in Switzerland
this is so dumb, it's funny. :loco: :lol:

swisscheesenew.jpg

I'm hearing this album for the first time. Amazing!

Left Here sounds like Rage For Order combined with the best of Disconnected. Simple Human sounds much better, the production is excellent.

Another Perfect Day: Wow. This is an instant classic. So far another immaculately performed and emotional album. Exactly what makes FW still as great as they've always been.

Need more time with the rest..

I heard "Left Here" on the radio the other night and I wasn't sure what to make of it... I guess I'll have to hear it a few times... like usual with Fates Warning.

Bump...X is right up there with the best albums from their prog phase, and balances their heavy and experimental sides to great effect, especially on the two best songs here IMO, Left Here and River Wide Ocean Deep. Wish is also excellent, another in a long pattern of moody album closers...9/10.

Speaking as a fanboy, I have to say I am a little disappointed. Granted, the guitar tone is heavier, but Ray's vocals (one of my top 5 favorite singers ever) are not up to their usual level of excellence. Way too much lower mid-range... some of it sounds like leftover vocal lines from ENGINE. That being said, I do like it, but would've preferred something more like the John Arch EP.

lurch70 said:
FW .. even though they came out before Dream Theater ... it seems to me always existed in their shadow .. since the 2 bands coexisted.

Speaking of DT ... am I the only one that wishes they would give the epic song writing a rest already and write some cool, normal song lengh dities ... ala their first release ... some real burners ... I know they can do it.

Sorry to bump an obsolete thread, but I was looking through it and came across this post, pure hilarity on lurch's part :lol: "I know they can do it" :lol: