New Fates Warning

i heard the song and my initial impression was that its great

i really only gave it one listen, and thats all i plan on until i get the full album, seeing as how i don't want to overload on one song beforehand, especially of such crap quality

it was noticably a disconnected-ish sound to it.. but of course not more of the same, but a continuation.. this is an album i have been so very looking forward to (as with all fates of course )

and as for parallels, that used to be my all time favorite FW cd, up until APSoG was released.. so yeah, its up there

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, AOR is a hysterical term. It can also imply Adult Contemporary Rock, ever heard that label?

Example bands: Chicago, Foreigner, Journey, Giant, Richard Marx, John Cougar Mellencamp.

This is basically what Bon Jovi turned into - a mixture of Mellencamp and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Like I said, from what I've heard, the early FW stuff rivals frickin' Maiden, and that's saying something. :kickass:
When comparing their old material to Parallels, it's like comparing Iron Maiden (metal) to Journey (adult contemporary rock)

It's no secret that they had a little bit of Dial MTV airtime from that album. For you yungans, that's TRL of the late 80s, early 90s.

And I think Jim Matheos would probably argue as to whether FW has always been metal. Certainly not all of their material has been, so your statement is kinda null and void, IoftheStorm. And in regards to Marillion, I prefer the Steve Hogarth stuff, which IS more AOR friendly.

The best example of their drastic sound/style change, aside from switching drummers in 89, was the change from Perfect Symmetry to Parallels. Same lineup on both albums, but Perfect Symmetry complete shits all over Parallels.

I thought AOR stood for Album-Oriented Rock

Anyways... I think the 80's Fates stuff is totally overrated and quite derivative. I can't even listen to it. I love the Zonder era.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

That is one of the weakest moments in their entire catalog! They were attempting to go AOR.
Maybe so ... but the band sounded most comfortable and natural in that era ... Parallels, Perfect Symetry, No Exit ...

Alder's voice was like buttah :loco:

And I think Jim Matheos would probably argue as to whether FW has always been metal. Certainly not all of their material has been, so your statement is kinda null and void, IoftheStorm. And in regards to Marillion, I prefer the Steve Hogarth stuff, which IS more AOR friendly.
Yeah ok. Lars Ulrich also said once that Metallica never were metal. Is he right? Many many musicians that play metal, deny that fact, and they use other words to describe their .. metal. To my ears the ONLY f.w. album that isnt .. "totally metal" is APSOG.

IOfTheStorm said:
Yeah ok. Lars Ulrich also said once that Metallica never were metal. Is he right? Many many musicians that play metal, deny that fact, and they use other words to describe their .. metal. To my ears the ONLY f.w. album that isnt .. "totally metal" is APSOG.
Well, you need to have your ears checked then or invest in some Q-Tips. How in the fuck do you classify the track "Chasing Time" as metal? Or, The Road Goes On Forever, or We Only Say Goodbye????

Papa Josh said:
Well, you need to have your ears checked then or invest in some Q-Tips. How in the fuck do you classify the track "Chasing Time" as metal? Or, The Road Goes On Forever, or We Only Say Goodbye????
"Chasing Time" is one of Fates Warning's greatest songs. And I think it's foolish to believe that a light song like that cannot be classified as metal. Metal does not need to be aggressive, crunchy and brutal at all times. "Chasing Time" is a delicate, brooding piece that features a violin solo... but it's still metal to me.

^^
Also many METAL albums have 1-2 songs, that are non metal..You named 3 songs out of the whole Fates discography... (2 in Parallels..so?). What, "Perfect Symmetry" is not a METAL album because of "Chasing Time"? Is that what you are saying? The riffs are there, the whole "undercover metal power" is there.. Fates Warning music was/is riff based.
Manowar are not metal because of "Master Of The Wind"?

IOfTheStorm said:
^^
Also many METAL albums have 1-2 songs, that are non metal..You named 3 songs out of the whole Fates discography... (2 in Parallels..so?). What, "Perfect Symmetry" is not a METAL album because of "Chasing Time"? Is that what you are saying? The riffs are there, the whole "undercover metal power" is there.. Fates Warning music was/is riff based.
Manowar are not metal because of "Master Of The Wind"?
Actually you said early that all of their albums except for A.P.S.O.G. was TOTALLY metal and any untrained ear can see that is not the case. Explain to me how in the fuck Chasing Time is metal.

That is why it was considered a departure by both critics and band alike. Get my words right if you're going to quote me.

Ok
Here it is how it works
An album can be TOTALLY metal, even if it has a non metal song in it.
Do you agree with that?
Because if you dont, you think that your avatar is not... totally metal.
lame discussion subject

I agree, IOftheStorm. This discussion has exceeded the maximum daily allowance of lameness. It seems like there can never be a discussion of Fates Warning without it turning into something like this.

ProgMetalFan said:
I agree, IOftheStorm. This discussion has exceeded the maximum daily allowance of lameness. It seems like there can never be a discussion of Fates Warning without it turning into something like this.
Agreed, the only way it could get worse would be if someone said "everything after Arch left is worthless shit" or something to that extent.

So in order of preference, how would you list your fave FW albums? I only know a couple of their albums from their Maiden-style era, but how should it be prioritized....?

1. APSOG
2. No Exit
3. Perfect Symmetry
4. Awaken The Guardian
5. Parallels
6. Disconnected
7. The Spectre Within
8. Inside Out
9. Night On Broken
The top of their so called "Maiden era" .. (lame, its just u.s. power metal, why called "maiden era") is BY FAR "Awaken The Guardian"

Erik said:
It's Adult Oriented Rock. (i.e. "rock" for people who don't really wanna ROCK)
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aor

AOR
abbr.
  1. album-oriented radio.
  2. album-oriented rock.
EDIT: AOR is an abbreviation of Album Oriented Rock, originally an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock music artists rather than singles releases.

In some markets the term AOR was re-positioned as Adult Oriented Rock, implying that 'adults' were more likely to buy albums rather than singles.

----------------
so I guess we're both right, though mine was the original, HA!