New idea for this forum.

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I just now came up with an idea. Any new threads asking for reamping, mixing, mastering, samples, etc should be FORBIDDEN!

If there is anyone that NEEDS reamping, mixing, mastering, drum quantization, then put an ad in your SIGNATURE (that thing below your post, noobs). Something like:

"I need reamping for a deathcore band! 3 songs, the cheaper the better! Final job gets their name in the credits! PM me if you are interested!"

This solves several problems:
1. No more obnoxious threads/spam cluttering up this amazing forum.
2. The more you post here, the more people see your wanted ad. (users have to actually contribute to other threads!)
3. Anywhere you post, people will see it instantly.
4. The user can go back and change their sig at any time easily.

Now I know people may say, "but advertising your needs in new threads will get you more posts!" Yeah, but 99% of the posts are going to be people flaming you like crazy, which is a really bad way to draw attention to yourself around here. There is also the argument that, "people will just post random crap in every thread to get their ad out." Honestly, even if someone is just posting a +1 to something someone else says, that is still more of a contribution to the forum than the "gimme gimme gimme!" threads.

Whore yourself out in the proper way, in your SIG!

So what do you guys think of this idea?

Tbh this forum just needs to stop being so intolerant. I don't know where its come from, its only recently.

Usually whenever someone requests a reamp or mix or whatever, there are tons of people very willing to help out, and its all confined to the one thread. I don't read anyone's signature tbh, and it just means that all discussion of that mix or reamp or whatever will have to be done by PM (awkward with lots of people), or creating a new thread which is what it is anyway.

Plus, new members won't know this 'rule' anyway.

Its really not that big a deal, it happens a few times a month. If you get pissed off by those threads, don't open them. Often there are heaps of people WANTING to do reamps and mixes for practice.

And while we could create a subforum.. as I said, its a few threads a month. If we're gonna start making new subforums to differentiate between every minor thing, it would get very confusing, the 'main' forum would be completely useless and Lasse would spend a shitload more time moving threads.

Tbh this forum just needs to stop being so intolerant. I don't know where its come from, its only recently.

Usually whenever someone requests a reamp or mix or whatever, there are tons of people very willing to help out, and its all confined to the one thread. I don't read anyone's signature tbh, and it just means that all discussion of that mix or reamp or whatever will have to be done by PM (awkward with lots of people), or creating a new thread which is what it is anyway.

Plus, new members won't know this 'rule' anyway.

Its really not that big a deal, it happens a few times a month. If you get pissed off by those threads, don't open them. Often there are heaps of people WANTING to do reamps and mixes for practice.

And while we could create a subforum.. as I said, its a few threads a month. If we're gonna start making new subforums to differentiate between every minor thing, it would get very confusing, the 'main' forum would be completely useless and Lasse would spend a shitload more time moving threads.

but then no one would have anything to bitch about. same goes for alot of threads. some people act like its the end of the world when someone posts a questions that may have been asked before. its not like the search engine is the greatest search engine. come on guys. not everyone knows everything, cant always find what youre looking for, and at one time you probably asked the question too. if you dont like a topic, dont open it.

yea, lets get all those pesky potential customers outta the way so we can keep this forum to bashing Attack Attack threads and circle jerks to Paramore.

<end sarcasm>

as stated above, the title of the threads are usually clear. dont like a thread, ignore it. it wont kill ya. i honestly cant believe that a forum about mixing and production would want to crack down on people looking for services or collabo's.

^ +1.

I honestly don't see the big deal. It's not like these people are a massive nuisance. A thread like that only pops up every so often, and as long as they show the right respect and explain why there's no budget involved, it's all good. I dislike people taking advantage of the community here to do free engineering services, but that's life, and it's up to the individual to make their decision.

It's this new-found elitism that bothers me a lot more.

yea, lets get all those pesky potential customers outta the way so we can keep this forum to bashing Attack Attack threads and circle jerks to Paramore.

<end sarcasm>

as stated above, the title of the threads are usually clear. dont like a thread, ignore it. it wont kill ya. i honestly cant believe that a forum about mixing and production would want to crack down on people looking for services or collabo's.

I lol'd hard at that!

+1 to the second point. I think we just need to be abit more tollerant to the new people. I remember when I first started posting here there were some people who I thought were absolute douches but ended up being really cool people and contributed alot to the forum.

If you don't want to do it for free, then don't give a sample of your reamp of their song.

Maybe instead of turning down new threads about reamping, the "veteran"/ non-noob guys could advertise their services more in their own sig and post more of their work in order to get more paid gigs?
That would actually help distinguish the guys here who are trying to do it as a living vs the guys who do it as a hobby.
Even having said that though, I don't think GuitarHack would say that he tries to make a living out of it, yet his reamps are often awsome. Isn't that what makes this forum great- almost limitless options. Together we have a massive amount of great gear and great people willing to share it.

Just afew thoughts.

It's this new-found elitism that bothers me a lot more.

IMHO I think that many of the users that are now in their ways of being semi-pro engineers feel threatened by the (quite decent) works of absolute amateurs that have a couple of plugins and drum libraries. Problem is that instead of improving their skills, they focus on bitching, blaming “new technologies”, whatever it is to justify their frustrations.

IMHO I think that many of the users that are now in their ways of being semi-pro engineers feel threatened by the (quite decent) works of absolute amateurs that have a couple of plugins and drum libraries. Problem is that instead of improving their skills, they focus on bitching, blaming “new technologies”, whatever it is to justify their frustrations.

While afew things could be said about this I think alot of it has been said in other threads. That's why I think it is up to the "pro" users on here to make themselves heard.

Show the community that you're not about getting an awsome tone with 8505 or and awsome drum sound using Slate samples. Make it clear that you're doing it for a living, have a great understanding of your job and pull a great MIX and that you're worth paying for.

While there has been alot of bitching about the bedroom user lately, I feel that we've also seen a great decline in full band mixes/ productions being showcased around here over the last few years.
All the pros here need to show that they are pro and busy, are mixing a new album every month and post that shit to balance out the "rate my pod tone" threads.

While afew things could be said about this I think alot of it has been said in other threads. That's why I think it is up to the "pro" users on here to make themselves heard.

Show the community that you're not about getting an awsome tone with 8505 or and awsome drum sound using Slate samples. Make it clear that you're doing it for a living, have a great understanding of your job and pull a great MIX and that you're worth paying for.

While there has been alot of bitching about the bedroom user lately, I feel that we've also seen a great decline in full band mixes/ productions being showcased around here over the last few years.
All the pros here need to show that they are pro and busy, are mixing a new album every month and post that shit to balance out the "rate my pod tone" threads.

I think most of the producers and engineers that started this forum and made it great have either left, or just rarely post here anymore.

I used to leave detailed comments in the rate my mix section to help improve people's mixes, listing specific frequency's to boost or cut, and compression/limiting advise. now everyone uses samples and pods, and while i do use slate samples (as well as others) to "enhance" natural drums, i always mic up an amp for my real guitar tone. but why post anything recorded with a real amp in the rate my mix section, when nobody cares unless i made impulses to give out for free?

either way, i'm all for file sharing and collaborating and working together to help each other out. i'm just trying to come up with a logical solution to end some of this bitching, and bring some of the CONTENT back as well.

I don't think we should stop it. Honestly, it's not that bad either. I do think it would be to the benefit of the person looking and the people looking for business to have a dedicated forum for these types of things.

I'm pretty sure that can be added easily and if we ask for it enough we'll get it, no problem.

Andy, are you out there?

I know this isn't personally a problem for me. Their recordings rape my ears so consistently that I couldn't even see the most clueless of musicians going to work with them.

I think most of the producers and engineers that started this forum and made it great have either left, or just rarely post here anymore.

I agree, but still believe that there is also alot of talent left on the forum, so it would be nice if they posted their productions more often, if not for anything else except to give a big "FUCK YOU" to those who only do it as a hobby and take away from their business, just because the "pro" won't do it for free.

Lasse Lammert said:
I don't see a big deal about those threads either BUT I think they should ONLY be posted in the FS sub. like "job offer: thread title"
A big +1 to that.

No one expects you to participate in such threads.

There will always be people looking for the cheapest offer as well as people looking for high-quality. It's only normal that there are people who cater for those needs.

paladin shredder said:
now everyone uses samples and pods
Not this can of worms again.

I hate this poor bitching and flamming going on in the last weeks!!!!!!
Whats the problem dudes, If you dont like the mix just write: "Hey I dont like the mix, guitars hurt my ears, try this...... " or just ignore the mix or post.

But I´m reading a lot of "you fucking cunt hurt my ears you have to do it like this, because CLA or Andy sneap do it that way, you shit-head blablabla" in the last days.

But this could maybe just be something about hormones of reaching the puberty....most guys going crazy must be around 17-19 and feeling like the new big deal because they got their first job offering or something like that....