New Killswitch CD

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
You mean metalcore isn't mostly the recycling of the same exact stuff 500 times and spit out by a ton of bands all claiming to be unique?
Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, and other bands like that have claimed to be unique? News to me

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
It's average generic metalcore with no deviation from the formula (as seen by Between the Buried and Me, etc.)
He said it. They're predictable and boring. They sound like a more Gothenburg influenced Hatebreed.

If a lot of metalcore bands are bland and generic, it's the fault of the bands, not the genre... it always amuses me to see people blurting out childish insults ('huhuhuh - faggotcore... huhuhuh') after hearing the tenth Shadows Fall/Himsa/Killswitch Engage/As I Lay Dying/Atreyu clone, without realising there's some really cool stuff out there. Blood Has Been Shed, Found Dead Hanging, Keelhaul, City Of Caterpillar, Waterdown... the list goes on.

its seems to me that shadows fall is getting lumped in with bands that are much much more "metalcore," in my opinion. yeah, they have some metalcore moments but there is a world of difference between alive...or just breathing and of one blood definitely. its like killswitch is a metalcore band with melodic death influences and shadows fall is a thrash/melodic death band with metalcore influences, and im not crazy there is a difference!

face of godzilla said:
its seems to me that shadows fall is getting lumped in with bands that are much much more "metalcore," in my opinion. yeah, they have some metalcore moments but there is a world of difference between alive...or just breathing and of one blood definitely. its like killswitch is a metalcore band with melodic death influences and shadows fall is a thrash/melodic death band with metalcore influences, and im not crazy there is a difference!

I agree actually. Shadows Fall have some very thrashy songs, and while they do have a few metalcore moments, its mostly good.

Shadows Fall are better than every metalcore band (as i lay dying, bands that sound like as i lay dying, between the buttraped and me, killswitch engage, and the 34067097509 others). That said, Shadows Fall aren't that good at all. That certainly says something. *Listens to Hypnosia*

You guys are all bashing metalcore quite unfairly! Every genre has its fair share of rubbish, look at all the clone/rip-off bands in death and black metal, and all the instrument mashing bands you get in Grindcore. There are quite a few good metalcore bands, such as Burnt by the sun, 3 stages of pain, DEP, Converge, The end, Skycamefalling etc. But for every decent band, there are shit load of awful ones (like KSE), same as in every genre, you just have to focus on the good ones :)

sikth said:
You guys are all bashing metalcore quite unfairly! Every genre has its fair share of rubbish, look at all the clone/rip-off bands in death and black metal, and all the instrument mashing bands you get in Grindcore. There are quite a few good metalcore bands, such as Burnt by the sun, 3 stages of pain, DEP, Converge, The end, Skycamefalling etc. But for every decent band, there are shit load of awful ones (like KSE), same as in every genre, you just have to focus on the good ones :)
Well, that is how it is in heavy metal. Anything in metal that becomes mainstream is automatically hated. Metalcore/hardcore used to be more underground but recently it is getting big and a lot of them are going on Ozzfest like Unearth, Lamb of God etc. I've read thrash metal was bashed when it came out by those in metal who like power or traditional metal. Personally, I dont think metalcore is the best thing that happened in metal but some of it I like. It gets annoying when people say they hate punk/hardcore just because its what everyone else in metal is supposed to say it when thrash metal came up thanks to punk/hardcore in the first place.

sikth said:
I think they bash metalcore because it has "metal" in the name, if it didn't have it, nobody would be bitching right now. People who bash it need to realize that metalcore DOES have definite metal elements in it, I want somebody to try and tell me that Gorguts isn't a big influence on techincal/dissonant metalcore bands. I'm done ranting.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
I think they bash metalcore because it has "metal" in the name, if it didn't have it, nobody would be bitching right now. People who bash it need to realize that metalcore DOES have definite metal elements in it, I want somebody to try and tell me that Gorguts isn't a big influence on techincal/dissonant metalcore bands. I'm done ranting.

You're rant shows nothing. I bash bands like As I Lay Dying (and all the others) because they suck, have little to nothing in the way of actual riff work, and have had what they're trying to achieve already achieved.

So what? Dissection influences a lot of this melodicdeath/'metalcore' bullshit, but I think Dissection rules. Same with Gorguts. They have solid compositions and no pointless meandering in the way of artiness (Blowpeth, DEP, Burning Inside, about a million other abortions).

Jean-Pierre said:
You're rant shows nothing. I bash bands like As I Lay Dying (and all the others) because they suck, have little to nothing in the way of actual riff work, and have had what they're trying to achieve already achieved.

So what? Dissection influences a lot of this melodicdeath/'metalcore' bullshit, but I think Dissection rules. Same with Gorguts. They have solid compositions and no pointless meandering in the way of artiness (Blowpeth, DEP, Burning Inside, about a million other abortions).
What don't you like about Opeth?