Killers
Dance of Death
A Matter of Life and Death
X Factor
Virtual XI
No Prayer for the Dying
Fear of the Dark

I hate the 2 90s Bruce albums.

It's a much more varied album than AMOLAD is, and has a nice 50:50 distribution between faster/heavier songs and slower and more melodic moments. The "rockers" on AMOLAD aren't even especially aggressive, with Different World and The Pilgrim being practically pop metal. The way I see it, Dickinson and Smith were just coming off a creative high having written The Chemical Wedding, and with BNW some of that was retained. Then the wells were drained dry once again.

This is probably controversial, but The Chemical Wedding is better than basically all of Maiden's albums (judging them as homogenous suites), except for BNW.

I was going to ignore you guys because I thought you were hating on because it was new but...

Holy shit this was bad.

Brave New World forever.

It's a much more varied album than AMOLAD is, and has a nice 50:50 distribution between faster/heavier songs and slower and more melodic moments. The "rockers" on AMOLAD aren't even especially aggressive, with Different World and The Pilgrim being practically pop metal. The way I see it, Dickinson and Smith were just coming off a creative high having written The Chemical Wedding, and with BNW some of that was retained. Then the wells were drained dry once again.

Yes, it is a much more varied album than AMOLAD, but AMOLAD's homogeneity works in its favour. Just skip the opening track and it sustains this wonderful, bleak wartime mood throughout.

Different World is atrocious. It's not a good song and it doesn't fit on the album. At least I'm really glad it wasn't placed somewhere in the middle of the tracklist. But even with that stinker, AMOLAD is Maiden's second strongest effort after Seventh Son.

Crash ending at the end... and at the start. Heart's Barracuda riff, seriously? Irritating pronunciations by Bruce... "storeh", "gloreh" and "dev-ILL", for examples. Too many godawful, and predictable, filler lines in the lyrics. Actually, Bruce sounds like a gentle parody of himself... reminds me of his Maiden England performance a bit.

Maiden often - usually, I'd say, in the last couple of decades - don't choose the best example single track to showcase a forthcoming album with, but this is... just... what the hell? :err:

Ah! Got it. It's the aural equivalent of the Dance of Death cover in the "what the hell" stakes.

I can still be very, very forgiving towards Maiden, and the song isn't without merit - I like that the three guitarists are playing with very distinct tones, for one thing, which Shirley has said is a trait of the album - but this really left me scratching my head. Even in the last ten to fifteen years, Maiden would once have relegated this to a forgotten B-side, if they'd put it out at all.

(Side-note: I'm also annoyed with the spin in the album's press release - "...a remarkable average of a new album every two years for 30 years...". Doesn't change the fact that it's been nearly FOUR YEARS since AMOLAD... with yet another superfluous live album and yet another by-the-numbers compilation album in-between... *sigh*)

My favourite Maiden song at the moment is Holy Smoke but just before that was Paschendale, and I still think it's an amazing song. Wraithchild and Rainmaker are good songs too. Dance of Death is a solid album. But Powerslave is Maiden's best IMO.

Like a lot of people keep saying, this track is boring to me and I don't really care what's on the new album now.

The last time I saw The Iron Maidens, Rainmaker was the only post-SIT song in their set (IIRC). It's slightly jarring when you consider the chronology, but it actually fit rather well.

This thread is why no one with a music brain bothers with this place any more.
Stupid, elitist dicks, the lot of you, which is hilarious since most of you don't seem to even know Maiden's catalogue never mind metal or music in general ("I've never seen a single for sale in a music store"?). :lol:

It's a cracking song.

why does it seem like fans of bands are so narrow minded? If you look on Maiden's last.fm page everyone loves the song. What I heard was one of the shittiest maiden songs ever.

Ok man, your definitely pushing it, it's definitly not the worst. There are far worse