New Maiden

Fuck, brutally out of time vocals at the start of Starblind.

Just heard the song for the first time because of your post.
The out of time vocals alone just ruin the song for me entirely.
Just sounds so amateurish and shitty.

I wouldn't be interested in such material if I was him either... :devil:

Well he was the only one standing against Steve Harris. Now Arry's doing whatever he wants. There's nobody to correct him.

Anyways, I think there's too much Rush material for an Iron Maiden album in that one. For example, check out Isle of Avalon from 4:22.

I like Maiden's proggy songs but I still want to feel that magic like I feel in the 7th son or Chemical Wedding.

Personally I really like the renunion era Maiden stuff. Brave New World is easily my favourite album, I also really like AMOLAD and Dance of Death has some cool songs on it too.
People talk about the 80's stuff like it's perfect, but to be honest I find most of the older albums have songs that are either amazing or complete shit. The newer stuff is much more consistent generally, I never find myself skipping past songs on the last few records, I'll listen to them in their entirety. Which I much prefer to say Piece Of Mind where I listen to the first 5 songs and then move on to something else.

I've liked the whole live vibe of the albums aswell and am normally one to defend Kevin Shirley but this album is just embarassing. Sloppy edits, out of time vocals. And The Alchemist just sounds shit! Boxy as hell guitars making the song sound much less powerful than it should be.

Where The Wild Wind Blows is pretty cool. El Dorado and The Final Frontier have both really grown on me.

I'm really, REALLY disapointed with the production/ edits. Shirley, you should retire. Some of the mistakes here are embarrasing even for garage bands... THIS IS IRON MAIDEN GODAMNIT... LEGEND... ETC!!!! How can the musicians don't hear or care for the sloppy, out of time performances (not to mention THE "PRODUCER") with all their experience? Jeez... they REALLY REALLY REALLY DON'T GIVE IT A TINY RATZ ASS ANYMORE. I hate when people build something and then stop caring (/rant). I liked the songs thou (And I truly hope they'll be better played live).
EDIT: (rant mode on again) AND BUY A FUCKING METRONOME OR USE THE ONE IN YOUR PRODUCER'S DAW... 'ARRY! LIVE FEEL IS NOT EQUAL TO SLOPPY, OUT OF TIME. (/rant). I guess I'm only that pissed cause I've been following them and buying their material and being their fan for like... 20 years? Meh... guess that it means nothing...

Toms have "the boom" (maybe they used Nuendo for those) :) And the guitars sound like Amplitube presets to me (I'm sure they're not)
Please note that Maiden is my favourite band (actually sunday I'll drive 600 km to see them live). But the production is far too demo-ey on this one. :(
I think the best thing to do is to start a petition for Maiden to release a "Producer Edition" similar to the one Lamb of God did so we can mix the damn thing ourselves! Who's with me? :)

I´m very, very disapointed about the production. And I agree with quite all you said about it^

Nevertheless..there is ONE song, who shines out of the dark cloud for me. "The Man who would be King". I love this song, especially the chorus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already heard the new album and I think that it´s quite good. People must realize that they cant pull albuns like 7son or SIT anymore because the times are different and they are old. The Talisman is an awesome track.

Its pretty bad when I've heard 3 new Maiden songs and have no interest in buying the cd :(

Just one more good Bruce solo cd is all I ask. As much as I HATE to say it, I think Maiden is done

As much as I HATE to say it, I think Maiden is done

That was my first thought, as I have listened to the new songs. But there are still some brilliant moments on this record. What makes me really sad, is the fact the production/editing is even weaker than on Dance of death. That really hurts and is a kick in the balls for Iron Maiden fans.

That was my first thought, as I have listened to the new songs. But there are still some brilliant moments on this record. What makes me really sad, is the fact the production/editing is even weaker than on Dance of death. That really hurts and is a kick in the balls for Iron Maiden fans.

A couple of brilliant moments on a whole cd is setting the bar pretty low for a Maiden album my friend ;)

As much as I would love to agree with you on that, it just doesn't compare with even the weakest of their 1st 7 cds. Hell, it doesn't even compare with "No Prayer" and "Fear" since each of those at least had several great songs on them. I like 3 songs from "Brave", almost nothing from the Blaze era minus one or 2 songs, "Dance" was horrible and I just could not get into the last one at all. Production aside, its all about the songs for me and it just sounds like they've run out of ideas or at the very least, the ability to craft some good ideas into great songs without blatantly ripping themselves off

I fuckin LOVE Maiden, always have but I guess when you've been going this long its just bound to happen, especially when its resting on one person's shoulders. I get the impression the other guys aren't even trying anymore cause they aren't inspired by the direction Steve has taken them in.

A couple of brilliant moments on a whole cd is setting the bar pretty low for a Maiden album my friend

Okay that´s true. Though I´m still in the grow phase of this album. The weakest point clearly is Kevin Shirley (although I think, he would prefer overdubbing*). Since "No Prayer for the dying", there always were a couple of songs I did not like on their albums. So far I found out, I really like "isle of avalon" and "the man who would be king". "Coming home" is cool, too (nice riff ideas). See, I love Iron Maiden. I will always focus on the positive things and seeing things through my Iron Maiden glasses (fanshop 149 $) LOL joking :lol: At the latest, when they play some of the new album´s songs live (hopefully not the entire one), it´ll show how much the songs will be worth...(for me).

*I think the fact, Maiden (Harris) insist to play quite completey LIVE in the studio, is also a reason, the editing isn´t that perfect.

Its pretty bad when I've heard 3 new Maiden songs and have no interest in buying the cd :(

It's been like that for 15 years in my case... :erk:

Just one more good Bruce solo cd is all I ask. As much as I HATE to say it, I think Maiden is done

I agree on all counts...

What makes me really sad, is the fact the production/editing is even weaker than on Dance of death. That really hurts and is a kick in the balls for Iron Maiden fans.

What makes me really sad is their interest in making money rather than making good music, they've lost that sense long time ago. I'd rather have Maiden suffer that "Enemies of Reality" syndrome (great songwriting and below average sounding recording) - at least I'd enjoy the songs and after all the damage is repairable!

I think a real kick in the balls for Maiden fans is selling them lousy songs for timeless epics and have all the "relevant" (read: big) magazines blow your horns and spare no compliments in reviews, whereas they would surely crap the shit out of the same album if it was done by some unknown or lesser known band. Sorry, but that's how I feel and have been feeling for years...

I'll love their stuff until Fear Of The Dark till death, especially an umatchable string of groundbreaking 80s releases, but no one will convince me that their later output bears any relevance, other than that familiar logo and name...

It's been like that for 15 years in my case... :erk:

I agree on all counts...

What makes me really sad is their interest in making money rather than making good music, they've lost that sense long time ago. I'd rather have Maiden suffer that "Enemies of Reality" syndrome (great songwriting and below average sounding recording) - at least I'd enjoy the songs and after all the damage is repairable!

I think a real kick in the balls for Maiden fans is selling them lousy songs for timeless epics and have all the "relevant" (read: big) magazines blow your horns and spare no compliments in reviews, whereas they would surely crap the shit out of the same album if it was done by some unknown or lesser known band. Sorry, but that's how I feel and have been feeling for years...

I'll love their stuff until Fear Of The Dark till death, especially an umatchable string of groundbreaking 80s releases, but no one will convince me that their later output bears any relevance, other than that familiar logo and name...

While I believe you are entitled to your opinion and just like all of us, you seem to have one. But you most certainly do not speak for all Maiden fans as there are plenty of us out here that like the newer Maiden material just as much if not more than some of the older material.

Some people don't like their favorite bands to change it up at all - they want them to keep making the same record over and over again. The newer Maiden is just different - they have most definitely not sold out as none of this is ever going to what can be conceived as "commercial" music. It's just different than what they did in the past.

And then worse than those that don't appreciate new music from what they consider old bands is those that want them to tour on the "glory days" - never releasing new music, just going out and making a buck on the past. These are musicians first and foremost - they want to create music, they want to experiment, they most certainly are not doing anything cookie cutter, if they did, it would be just rehashes of "Powerslave" over and over.

So - you have an opinion and it's just as valid as mine, but neither of us speak for "all" Maiden fans, and there certainly is a whole lot of them around the world that are quite happy to see a new Maiden disc ready to be released - I suspect far more than those that wish they were not.

Up the Irons!!!!

While I believe you are entitled to your opinion and just like all of us, you seem to have one. But you most certainly do not speak for all Maiden fans as there are plenty of us out here that like the newer Maiden material just as much if not more than some of the older material.

Some people don't like their favorite bands to change it up at all - they want them to keep making the same record over and over again. The newer Maiden is just different - they have most definitely not sold out as none of this is ever going to what can be conceived as "commercial" music. It's just different than what they did in the past.

And then worse than those that don't appreciate new music from what they consider old bands is those that want them to tour on the "glory days" - never releasing new music, just going out and making a buck on the past. These are musicians first and foremost - they want to create music, they want to experiment, they most certainly are not doing anything cookie cutter, if they did, it would be just rehashes of "Powerslave" over and over.

So - you have an opinion and it's just as valid as mine, but neither of us speak for "all" Maiden fans, and there certainly is a whole lot of them around the world that are quite happy to see a new Maiden disc ready to be released - I suspect far more than those that wish they were not.

Up the Irons!!!!

I totally agree with everything you said there.

Brave New World is my favourite maiden album.

I'm not completely sold on the new cd. Final Frontier, El Dorado, The Talisman and Where The Wild Wind Blows are all really cool. Mother of Mercy and Starblind are pretty dreadful. Not made up my mind about the rest.

I agree with Jind too (as always), Dance of Death is my favorite non80s Maiden album, and all the others are pretty good, except AMOLAD which has some great songs but seems a bit too forced on those long songs with the same drum/guitar rhythms at the eternally long solo sections then ending on the chorus once again and again and again.

I totally agree with everything you said there.

Brave New World is my favourite maiden album.

I'm not completely sold on the new cd. Final Frontier, El Dorado, The Talisman and Where The Wild Wind Blows are all really cool. Mother of Mercy and Starblind are pretty dreadful. Not made up my mind about the rest.

While by no means is my opinion of the new disk finalized as I'm desperately trying to hold out for my vinyl copy to arrive in the next week to listen to the songs aside from those released (I may break down and listen to my CD copy which may arrive earlier), but I'm sure I'll at a bare minimum appreciate it. I like what I've heard so far and since I really enjoyed AMOLAD (you really need to listen to it as a whole and not as individual songs to truly appreciate it) if they keep with the progressive style I'm sure I'll give it a big thumbs up. For me at least, new Maiden does not have to be super heavy, it just needs to be engaging and interesting which I've found what I've heard so far to be.

Up the Irons!!!

I love BNW and AMOLAD. And I really like this new songs. They are different, and there are VERY good songs/ ideas here but what kills me is the way they are being presented to us, in a very poor package (production/ edit/ sound), while there are bedroom productions that sound amazing. In some songs, Bruce sounds "tired". It's not about the songs for me. Its about the way they are being presented.