New Maiden

I've been a Maiden fan for only 25 years. My opinion isn't as relevant. Haha. :loco:

I'm unsure if this was directed at me, but I clearly stated in my review and in several other places here that every bodies opinion counts just as much as any others, that's why music is art - one man's treasure is another man's garbage.

I'm sure Maiden will continue regardless or your or my thoughts, it's just good that we can voice opposing valid arguments.

As for the "grower" comment I have a hard time believing you don't have any discs in your collection that at first you were a little luke warm on but they eventually over time and listening, they have become treasured classics. Personally, I do think that TFF is catchy as all hell - it's got a lot of parts I find myself singing well after a listen.

But once again and as always - your individual mileage may vary.

As for the "grower" comment I have a hard time believing you don't have any discs in your collection that at first you were a little luke warm on but they eventually over time and listening

Of course but we're talking about Iron Maiden, not some kind of intricate experimental music.
I think their music has become unfocused rather than complex.

Agreed.
And it's not like I take all of this very seriously.

Of course but we're talking about Iron Maiden, not some kind of intricate experimental music.
I think their music has become unfocused rather than complex.

Bingo!

If Maiden is to be compared to something progressive, I would at least expect the songs and music to be on par with a band like Opeth. I know they're pretty much different styles but actually when you think about it, they're not all THAT different. The song length only serves to point out how uninteresting Maiden's music has become ... for me. Opeth can have an album of 4 songs, each at like 15 minutes plus and I will be immersed in a musical spectacle none too eager to come out of. Even the shortest song on the new Maiden, that "faster" track, sounds like a lifeless version of "Be quick or be dead", certainly NOT anything even remotely in line with something from "Powerslave" but again, its all opinions

I do enjoy the fact that Maiden is still going and more power to them if they're maintaining the level of success they've achieved. I guess for myself I was hoping they could have struck a better balance between their newer formula and something more energetic and catchy

I haven't heard TFF yet, but judging from Jind's words and his own opinion on the other modern maiden albums, I'm sure gonna like it. I do find them more progressive than before, I do find them a bit more "complex" and a bit more different, nowehere near the progressivenes of Dream theater for example, but more progressive yeah.

And I appreciate how these newer albums aren't "cheap thrills" like the older ones (not that I don't love them to death, no disrespect intended with that), I always tend to take a few listens to "get" an album, and when I do I love it. Killers was some sort of a miss for me when I first bought it (hey I'm only 23, so I've been a maiden fan ever since I remember, but I can't remember too far back hahaha), and now it's my favorite album along to Somewhere in time (which clicked instantly for me)

Interesting statement - are you suggesting that those that don't appreciate newer Maiden as much are not Maiden fans or biased in any way?
tsk tsk :devil:

No you dufus, i am implying that they could put out any old shit now and I would probably see something good in it.:loco:

As for the "grower" comment I have a hard time believing you don't have any discs in your collection that at first you were a little luke warm on but they eventually over time and listening, they have become treasured classics. Personally, I do think that TFF is catchy as all hell - it's got a lot of parts I find myself singing well after a listen.

Totally agree, TFF is catchy. I was singing the title track straight away and coming Home sooo singable :D

Oh man... hate for the new maiden?!

I think the first two songs are the weakest and it gets better from then on.

I'm loving Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, and when the wild wind blows. But TBH the whole album is great. It's like they took the best prog bits from AMOLAD and mashed it together with the srawling epicness of Brave New World.

*sigh* alas I am a fanboi. And the non-fanbois will probably never understand :p

Jind, I raise my hat to you, very well written review and I liked it. Have you ever considered submitting anything to http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/ ? I think your piece would sit quite well among the others there. :)

I haven't made up my own mind about the album yet, only on my third listen at the moment, but so far I'm feeling positive.

Edit: As it seems to be somekind of a trend, I'll just mention that I'm a Maiden fanboy too. :p Used to go months on Maiden alone, still do sometimes.

I'm working on my review - it's a long one, but my quick first impression (well after at least 5 listening all the way through over the past day) is that I really like it - it's just what I want from a more modern Maiden. I don't want what they gave me in the 80's or 90's, I like the newer progressive Maiden in a new way, different from what I liked about them back then. This one is growing on me faster than AMOLAD did and I ended up loving that album so I expect to really like this album as I get deeper and deeper into it in detail. I will say that some of the lead playing on this album is the most inspired I've heard from Maiden in a long time - it's different, but I find it quite good.

I'll have my long review in the next day or so.

By the way - my review will be of the CD version as my vinyl version won't be here until the 23rd.

Iron Maiden has a pretty good track record of great leads in general.
It's pretty hard to have crappy leads when you have Adrian Smith and Dave Murray.
As much as I didn't like the album at all really, the lead guitar parts at least shine.

Well, now I can say that the album is not bad... imo better than AMOLAD... but production just sucks...

Is it so difficult to do what they used to? I mean cactchy melodies, great doble guitar harmonies, doubles vocals...

I don't like the all-together way of recording, if you like that you can do that in live records!! The same as Kreator, the last album was done all-in-one take and was bullshit in comparisson with the previous Andy's production.

Is it so difficult to do what they used to? I mean cactchy melodies, great doble guitar harmonies, doubles vocals...

All that bothers me much more than the production...

I don't like the all-together way of recording, if you like that you can do that in live records!! The same as Kreator, the last album was done all-in-one take and was bullshit in comparisson with the previous Andy's production.

I think you're overreacting, the last Kreator cd sounds perfectly fine! What's so "bullshit" about it?!

Yeah it's been doing great in the album charts.

No. 1 -- Arabia, Austria, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Finland, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
No. 2 -- Australia, Belgium, Holland
No. 3 -- Ireland, Poland, Turkey
No. 4 -- USA (highest Maiden chart position in the USA to date)
No. 5 -- Singapore

Was No. 3 second week in the UK too.

Iron Maiden should be the one true example for all the metal bands out there. No support from MTV, radios, mainstream media just their music and live shows... But they're still kicking ass on the charts. I don't believe that Metallica could achieve a great success without all the big promotions, MTV support and "PR" things. I think that makes Maiden so special and unique. And because of Maiden's "no compromising" behaviour, their fans are the most loyal ones all around the world.