New maudlin of the Well "Part The Second" Released for Free

Got it now. Just sitting back and enjoying. So far seems as though it is going to be more on the mellow side (which is good).

I haven't heard of this band before. Interesting stuff.

edit: Ok, I just listened to the entire cd. This stuff is amazing. How have I not heard of this band before? I don't hear the "metal" aspect though, which makes me a bit confused because that's what they seemed to be labeled as. What is their other stuff like?

This page has two full-length songs: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1798. The two together are representative of motW, and 'Secret Song' might be their best, in my opinion (that or The Blue Ghost/Shedding Qliphoth).

Newcomers to motW might be interested in purchasing My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible, their first album, from dark-symphonies.com for $8 shipped to the US. It's the only motW you can readily acquire legally since Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are out of print and outrageously priced.

I haven't heard of this band before. Interesting stuff.

edit: Ok, I just listened to the entire cd. This stuff is amazing. How have I not heard of this band before? I don't hear the "metal" aspect though, which makes me a bit confused because that's what they seemed to be labeled as. What is their other stuff like?

had you heard of kayo dot?

I don't hear the "metal" aspect though, which makes me a bit confused because that's what they seemed to be labeled as. What is their other stuff like?

Their earlier material had a more metallic sound and also growled vocals featured rather prominently in places, but they were certainly always on the fringe.

As Don Corleone somewhat mentioned, they later morphed into Kayo Dot, which has slowly stripped the metallic aspects away (their last release, Blue Lambency Downward, being some kind of avant garde-chamber-jazz music or something).

It doesn't surprise me that this new maudlin album is much more mellow, as Toby Driver explains in the booklet of the Leaving Your Body Map reissue that 'Interlude IV' from said album was basically the epitome of what maudlin were working towards, and Part The Second is far more in line with that type of thinking.

So Slunk, I guess now they are really just metal-by-association, much in the same way that a band like Anathema or Katatonia are now.

had you heard of kayo dot?

No, I haven't

Their earlier material had a more metallic sound and also growled vocals featured rather prominently in places, but they were certainly always on the fringe.

As Don Corleone somewhat mentioned, they later morphed into Kayo Dot, which has slowly stripped the metallic aspects away (their last release, Blue Lambency Downward, being some kind of avant garde-chamber-jazz music or something).

It doesn't surprise me that this new maudlin album is much more mellow, as Toby Driver explains in the booklet of the Leaving Your Body Map reissue that 'Interlude IV' from said album was basically the epitome of what maudlin were working towards, and Part The Second is far more in line with that type of thinking.

So Slunk, I guess now they are really just metal-by-association, much in the same way that a band like Anathema or Katatonia are now.

Nice breakdown, thanks. I'll have to check this band out in some more depth.

Nice breakdown, thanks. I'll have to check this band out in some more depth.

Not a problem. If you can, I'd suggest tracking down a copy of Bath and Leaving Your Body Map. They are companion albums (I guess in a similiar way to Deliverance and Damnation) and work well back to back.

I've only gotten past the first two tracks in a quiet environment, but I'm already really enjoying this new album. So...tasteful.

Brilliant work. When all is said and done, could be album of the year, certainly in the top 5. The song composition is the best I've heard so far in 2009. Toby Driver is simply a phenominal musician.