new Metallica song posted

The leak is at 128kbps quality so you can't judge the production from it (and don't tell me they're 320, because it's just a re-encode of the 128 files). Anyway, the album is awesome! Listened once all the way through and there's no bad song on the album, and definitely has some great material! Man it feels good to be excited about these guys again

And by the way, you are in the minority if you think that Anthrax are talentless hacks. Why not visit the disc "We've Come For You All".

I interpreted what Zach said a little differently: The "shitty, talentless hacks" were overdoing what Anthrax had made popular. *shrug* .. I could be horribly wrong.

Your comment has to be one of the most immature and ignorant comments I have ever heard in my life as a metal fan. I realize you are free to have your opinion, but your opinion is based on something 25 years ago for Gods sake!!!!! Thats like saying I don't like Rush because I heard their first album or I don't like Riot because I heard their first album. Have you ever heard of progression? Creativity which is enhanced and usually and most times grows from album to album? (not always mind you!). My opinion of Metallica is everything post "Black Album" is shit. But I will listen to the whole thing THEN pass my judgement. Thats what a metal fan does. They don't bitch and moan and act like a child. Why not at least give it a chance? How old are you anyway. And by the way, you are in the minority if you think that Anthrax are talentless hacks. Why not visit the disc "We've Come For You All".
I've heard every metallica release (though only the live 'practice' dvd that came with st anger, never the studio album in full) and i heard both songs from the new metallica album that were released before the leak (The Day That Never Comes-ah and My Apocalypse), so I feel as though my opinion has a pretty solid base. My opinion is not that they should be doing the same thing that they were doing 25 years ago, because god knows they can't. I'm simply saying that the new material is shit, and people who are just having these ridiculous orgasms over "OMG THEY'VE RETURNED TO FORM, THIS IS AWESOME" just because it has a "heavy riff" (read: stock, boring, fast chugga chug riff over a thrash beat) are full of shit and latching on to sub-par material. They're welcome to do that, but I'm just calling it what it is.
I interpreted what Zach said a little differently: The "shitty, talentless hacks" were overdoing what Anthrax had made popular. *shrug* .. I could be horribly wrong.
Correct
Hmm..you may be right. If so, my bad Zach.
No problems. It was poorly worded. Anthrax owns, Fistful of Metal is one of the best albums (and album covers) ever. period.

people who are just having these ridiculous orgasms over "OMG THEY'VE RETURNED TO FORM, THIS IS AWESOME" just because it has a "heavy riff" (read: stock, boring, fast chugga chug riff over a thrash beat) are full of shit and latching on to sub-par material.
I don't think there's any doubt that a lot of the superlatives we'll hear regarding this album will have something to do with exactly that. It's a double-edged sword though, because you'll also have a lot people bash the album saying it's crap compared to their early stuff, yet if an unknown band had done it, they'd be commending them.

*waits patiently for a quality rip* :)

Now after listening to a few more songs off of the album, the day that never comes and my apocalypse are definately 2 of the weaker songs on it. I'll still have to listen to the rest of the cd and listen to a few times to have it sit in and see how i feel, but so far, it ain't bad, but so far I don't see it being something i will be listening to a month from now, but who knows. It of course doesn't have the feeling of their first records, and James just doesn't sound like he use to(he doesn't sound bad though), and the reason some parts sound choppy is because of Lars' drumming and if only somebody else would come in and play drums and I definately hear better parts in my head to really enhance the songs up to the next level(of course they are a little more technical and more involved), but hey, that probably is just me.

I don't think there's any doubt that a lot of the superlatives we'll hear regarding this album will have something to do with exactly that. It's a double-edged sword though, because you'll also have a lot people bash the album saying it's crap compared to their early stuff, yet if an unknown band had done it, they'd be commending them.

*waits patiently for a quality rip* :)

It IS crap compared to their early stuff, but that's hardly the point. It's crap period. Though I will concede in the fact that they are definitely under the microscope more than most bands because of their history. Still, if this stuff dropped into my lap as an unknown band, I would call bullshit on it as well. Obviously, most people wouldn't be getting this worked up if it were an unknown, but that goes for both sides (the haters and those who don't have discerning tastes to realize that it is just poorly written music).

I have to say I'm surpised ... the new disc isn't the steaming pile I expected. It's actually as worthy of the name Metallica as it can be after three less than spectacular discs in a row. The songs are pretty thrashy overall .. kind of catchy in parts .. fairly well crafted at times. I do however think the songs have a lot of boring stretches (songs are all up around 7 and 8 minutes long for no real reason). I also can't help but remember that Metallica has been there, and done this better before.

Britt

After sitting on the new Metallica disc for a couple of days now, I feel that I have digested it enough to give a better focused overview of my thoughts:

Overall I am very impressed. Everything after their self titled release was terrible. One or two good songs on "Load" and "Reload" (And thats being nice). And we are not even going to go into the shit that was St. Anger. So with "Death Magnetic" what we really have is what should have been the follow up to "Metallica". At times it is very reminiscent of "...And Justice For All", at Times "Master Of Puppets" and "Ride The Lightning". The riffs are definitely there, the solos are definitely there. And best of all Lars Ulrich is back playing the drums like he should. Good ol' doubebass beats ala "Ride" and "Master". The songwriting is rich and Hetfields voice is harsh again. They are back to the old sound. Rejoice!

I think the folks who are saying the new disc sucks, are being a bit unfair. It seems those of us who grew up on Metallica, who feel they sold every ounce of musical integrity they had, often feel an overwhelming desire to hammer them in return. This disc isn't awful, but it's also not good. It's a run of the mill, often tedious, uneventful affair. As Britt pointed out, the songs are needlessly drawn out. Musically, there's no need for any of these songs to be more than four or five minutes. However, even if they shortened them, there's just nothing compelling going on. It's better than anything they've done in years. Then again, it would have taken a monumental effort to continue the downward trajectory they established.

Zod

To debate Metallica in 2008 is pointless.
If you are a hater, NOTHING they will do from this point forward will change it.

I certainly plan on purchasing it next Friday.
Just with the last few, I will take it for what it is.

I think Kirk and Rob are probably the only 2 members in the band who truly care about the actual music on the disc.

Metallica is more of a business, just like KISS, than a band.
They know that there is a rise in popularity of metal, esp from a commercial standpoint. That is why their support bands for the upcoming tours are no longer bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. Sure, they aren't going to bring out Iced Earth or Nevermore, for example, but still with Down, Machine Head, and the Sword, they are leaning towards the rise in popularity of metal again in the commercial marketplace.

It's not 1983. We aren't going to hear something on the album and go, "Wow, never heard a vocal like that, or a bass riff like that"

I think people understimate how difficult it is to put out a great album, nonetheless to put out over 4 great albums. Then you have rarities like Led Zeppelin, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd or the Beatles, and then there's Frank Zappa who put out over 40 great albums >_>

It is the best since Black...finally gave it a listen last night, and the 'tallica boys are back after St. Detour. 2 of the 3 full songs heard before the leak (Cyanide and My Apocalypse) are the weakest, but even those aren't bad. It sounds like a cross between the groove-oriented sounds of the Load albums (and even Garage Inc), but with more speed and thrash, and brought to more epic length. I didn't see the 10 minute instrumental coming, interesting twist. There's some cool riffs, instrumental sections, Het sounds good, and Kirk is definitely unleashed :) I'll be proud to pick this up on release day.

It is the best since Black...finally gave it a listen last night, and the 'tallica boys are back after St. Detour. 2 of the 3 full songs heard before the leak (Cyanide and My Apocalypse) are the weakest, but even those aren't bad. It sounds like a cross between the groove-oriented sounds of the Load albums (and even Garage Inc), but with more speed and thrash, and brought to more epic length. I didn't see the 10 minute instrumental coming, interesting twist. There's some cool riffs, instrumental sections, Het sounds good, and Kirk is definitely unleashed :) I'll be proud to pick this up on release day.

I'm gonna have to agree. This is not Opeth, or Dark Tranquillity or any of these amazing bands we have grown to love in the past few years. It is Metallica, doing metal, and doing a great job at it. :headbang: Nothing more, nothing less.

I think people understimate how difficult it is to put out a great album, nonetheless to put out over 4 great albums. Then you have rarities like Led Zeppelin, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd or the Beatles, and then there's Frank Zappa who put out over 40 great albums >_>

Holy smokes!!! Pink Floyd released over 40 albums!!!!!???!!??!!??
I must have missed a few along the way.

For those like me who don't have access (or care to) download, you can check out 6 tunes from the new album streaming: http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601197

I have to say I'm enjoying it for the most part, I still say that snare sound is whacked out and overdriven, but all in all, very decent tunes and good to see them back to "basics" (kicking some ass).

Holy smokes!!! Pink Floyd released over 40 albums!!!!!???!!??!!??
I must have missed a few along the way.

Don't blame me. We both came from the same school systems. What I meant is that Zep, Beatles, Beach Boys each put out numerous great albums. Zappa... well nobody has put out as many good albums as he did. I don't think.

Holy shit!!!!!
Finally hearing the recently released additional tracks...
The Judas Kiss sounds like it was lifted right from the Justice album.

You know, I have said it for years about Metallica since the BLACK ALBUM.
They tend to choose the SHITTIEST songs from the albums to release as singles.

So far, The Day That Never Comes is the weakest of all the tracks I have heard from Death Magnetic.