NEW MIX-HARDCORE, SUGGESTIONS??

dankarghh

Nov 26, 2009
Australia
hey guys,

this is a rough mix of a song im doing for an EP for a local band. its the first i've worked on to be 'released' if you will, so i'm fairly nervous.

REAMPS BY RYAN.
i'm having difficulty getting vocals to sit nice, at the moment theres just a couple of compressors, tape saturation, bit of verb and eq on them.
-they sound real hollow and annoying.

UPDATED:: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3200729/wellaboveswell-hereforblood2.mp3

I'd love some feedback on the whole mix in general, any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3200729/wellaboveswell-hereforblood.mp3

edit: oh yeah, the end will be a gradual fade out, thats why its a bit weird at the moment.

whoooops forgot to pan toms

Weird sound on vocals, recorded in a big untreated room??

I'd bring the kick drum up a bit and give it a bit more attack.

and i give the bass a tad more twang.

Just me man other than that its sounds good.

I dont like the song writing that much. The fast part realy sounds super uncreative.

Vocal processing sounds super strange, like the singer was screaming in a wine-glas.
the rest is fine.

What did you use for the bass? Has a nice growl

yeah the vocals are shit. i dont know what to do with them. i kinda just threw them in the mix, waiting for reamps, if they're not too fucked ryan?
why would me DI's be feedbacking???

does anyone have any suggestions regarding vocals?
bass is a DI of a real shitty ibanez, split into 4 tracks.

vocals where done in a bedroom. a nt1a straight up into 2 mattresses pushed right in to the corner to deaden the sound.

For vocals I use Compressor, C4, Eq. If you have C4, It really can enhance the vocals. I am still working on getting good vocals. Did you double the screams? this band sounds a lot like the ghost inside. Kinda cool i guess :)

However you recorded, them, don't do it again. haha. I'm guessing you got some kind of comb filter from whatever you were right next to. Try in the middle of the room.

Is this a Cubase track?

If so, could you send me all the project files to play with?

I could clean up the vocals for you and send it back.

Vocals have very little high end content. You need a reverb that will add space to the vocal, not make it sound fluffy like it does now.

The whole mix could use a high shelf starting around 1khz and up, with a gentle slope, about 2 dB or so. If you were shooting for a dark mix, you've got it, but I think you're sacrificing clarity.

thanks everyone for all the feedback.
i've tried a few different things on vocals and im still struggling to get them to not sound terrible.
here is a new 'master'. i have no idea what i'm doing, but every band i've recorded is too cheap to send the songs off.
I use ozone, just the loudness maximiser and a bit of eq, to boost the highs as lassie suggested.

whole mix better or worse?
vocals better or worse?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3200729/wellaboveswell-hereforblood2.mp3

vocals- i'm using a touch of verb parralel that you can hardly hear, i know thats now why it sounds hollow and sutff, i think that happened in the tracking. but redoing vocals isn't an option, so any hot tips to help me out a little would be greatly appreciated.