New NEVERMORE album!

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hi All, since the album was released last month in the UK, the entire album is pretty much available on youtube to listen to.
Here's a link to get you started:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1HZSADNT9c&feature=related[/ame]

Albeit a crappy internet rip stream, the songs and production sound great! I think Andy did a fantastic job. :headbang:

I can't wait to pick up my copy next week here in the states. w00t!

oh woops. LOL. I never see new threads in that section so I've just stopped looking. Go figure, I check the main page and Off-topic, and yet I still get fucked. :erk:

:lol:

This record has one of the coolest rhythm guitar tones I have ever heard. I still love Loomis' technique. Anything he touches just has this attitude and groove. I'm still letting the music grow on me (I find this is the case with all Nevermore records - they need a month or so).

Have to say though that I'm really disappointed with Warrel's output on this one. A lot of the vocal lines outright ruin the songs for me. I'm not feeling them as useful contributions to the music, and for the most part the production on them just feels wrong. It's like there weren't enough layers, not enough harmonies, or accents played up at the right times. It all sounds very sparse and weak, especially given that many of the lines aren't very interesting.

This album sounds good and all to me, but I would have to agree that it does fall short in the vocal area at times. As I can tell right now, this album is about on par with their Enemies of Reality album for me -- overall it's good, but nothing too spectacular. Loomis' technique is amazing though, and he still writes some of the grooviest badass riffs i've ever heard. I like Warrel, but I can't help but feel as if Jeff is limiting his success by not experimenting with other bands. Imagine if Jeff and Christian (Solution .45/ex-Scar Symmetry) were to team up. :worship: that would be amazing

This record has one of the coolest rhythm guitar tones I have ever heard. I still love Loomis' technique. Anything he touches just has this attitude and groove. I'm still letting the music grow on me (I find this is the case with all Nevermore records - they need a month or so).

Have to say though that I'm really disappointed with Warrel's output on this one. A lot of the vocal lines outright ruin the songs for me. I'm not feeling them as useful contributions to the music, and for the most part the production on them just feels wrong. It's like there weren't enough layers, not enough harmonies, or accents played up at the right times. It all sounds very sparse and weak, especially given that many of the lines aren't very interesting.

Yeah, Jeff's rhythm tones are incredible :D

Did he use Engls on this album?

+100000000

I, too, have seen Loomis mention that he used engl's for the record but to my ears (not that I'm an expert on this) it doesn't sound like one, or at least it's layered with something else.
A lot of people (including me) have asked this question to Andy in other threads but he hasn't answered yet. Could this be some kind of a deal Jeff made with ENGL to say he used them even though he didn't?

I've had mixed reports on this.

One said it was a Krank mixed with 5150 3 and the other said 4 tracks of 6505. Both mentioned a special mic that's outside the norm though :) (do NOT PM me asking what it is, haha).

I heard the following: Peter tracked with 5150 and Engl SE (or Savage maybe?), Andy liked the 5150 tracks and kept them but didn't like the Engl tracks and reamped them... with either 5150, 5150 III, or possibly Krank?

If the "special" mic used was what he's been using lately, it was probably the Audio-Technica AE-2500 dual element mic.

I like the rhythm guitar tone still, but it's definitely a lot darker/warmer than the usual Loomis tones. I'd probably prefer a slightly brighter/more aggressive tone, but it's still good.

As far as the music, there's some cool music on the album definitely, but Warrel still does nothing for me... and the songs overall seem way more sparse on this album. There's too many slow/ballad type songs focusing on Warrel that aren't really all that interesting to me...

On subsequent listens I'd agree. I think it probably has a lot of that low-mid build up that comes from that particular amp and guitar. The Schecter Loomis seemed somewhat strong around 500hz (compared to the Hellraiser, anyway), which is where the 6505 also seems to have a very dominant zone. But do you guys feel that may be because the entire album has a bit of a blanketed, saturated vibe to it? Something brighter might be out of place unless the entire record got a bit more edge added to it.

Yep probably Ermz. When I listened (as ive said before), the record seemed to be missing a lot of the highs in comparison to something like dead heart. And I love highs. Lots of listening to be done still though!

On subsequent listens I'd agree. I think it probably has a lot of that low-mid build up that comes from that particular amp and guitar. The Schecter Loomis seemed somewhat strong around 500hz (compared to the Hellraiser, anyway), which is where the 6505 also seems to have a very dominant zone. But do you guys feel that may be because the entire album has a bit of a blanketed, saturated vibe to it? Something brighter might be out of place unless the entire record got a bit more edge added to it.

I'm kinda wondering if it might have something to do with the cab Peter used for tracking. If it was a 5150 into an Engl cab, that might have something to do with it. I don't know what cab he used.