New NEVERMORE album!

It was 6505. No 5150 III on this one.

you're wrong ;)

If the "special" mic used was what he's been using lately, it was probably the Audio-Technica AE-2500 dual element mic.
also wrong ;)

everyone's wrong, so stop speculating and enjoy the music, I'm sure if Andy wants everyone to know he'll post it here, if he's not posting it he probably doesn't want everyone to know....:D...that said...no, I don't think it was an AE2500 and I don't think it was krank or engl.
but know what? doesn't really matter that much, I' sure Andy would have gotten kickass results with a Marshall MG combo also.

Listening to the album on Grooveshark. Almost all the way through at this point. This album is definitely on my buy list. Lots of cool riffing and great production.

you're wrong ;)

also wrong ;)

everyone's wrong, so stop speculating and enjoy the music, I'm sure if Andy wants everyone to know he'll post it here, if he's not posting it he probably doesn't want everyone to know....:D...that said...no, I don't think it was an AE2500 and I don't think it was krank or engl.
but know what? doesn't really matter that much, I' sure Andy would have gotten kickass results with a Marshall MG combo also.

how come you're so sure? :)

anyways, i've given it a couple of spins now. at first it was quite a disappointment to be honest...i'm a die hard nevermore fan, and thought TGE was a milestone. new one is VEEEEERY different and certainly takes a while to get used to.
tbh, at first it sounds like some of the transitions are very abrupt, it doesn't flow as smoothly as you'd expect from nevermore.
anyways, the chorus of termination proclamation has stuck in my head for a few days now, which is a great thing i guess :D i need to give it a few more listens, definitely seems to be the type of album you don't access right away....unlike TGE, which despite all the craziness was catchy right away (just think of the born chorus, instant sing along). i'll hold off with final judgement for a while, that's for sure...

as for the mix, it's great, what do you expect? :D great job andy :headbang:
guitars are indeed quite dark.....does have that 5150 low mids (fuck me if it didn't make it to the final mix, haha), so it's interesting, especially with a band like nevermore who always had that mesa boogie sound.
vocals are really fucking loud at times though. definitely a different kind of nevermore mix.....TGE for example sounded like the vocals are part of the music if that makes any sense, new one has them right on top of everything else most of the time. as i said, very different, but interesting, and should stay interesting for quite a lot of spins - which again is a good thing!

oh, and btw, i can't remember the exact song right now (3rd or 4th i think), but there's a lead melody in there that's reeeeally similar to the opener of jeffs solo album. not a bad thing, but i guess there's been some riff sharing/swapping between the solo album and TOC.

Production is godly, but I dont really like the songs that much. Emptiness obstructed and the titletrack are awesome, but I don't know, I think it misses the epicness of songs like This Godless Endeavor, and no solos shocked me like the solo of Born did to me.

Maybe my mind wil change after another couple of listens.

Still anxiously awaiting the box set. Apparently Amazon ships CM release preorders long before CM Distro? COME ON!

Still waiting for my vinyl. Damn CM Distro pony express!!

Please post what you think of the vinyl mastering if you can compare it to the CD version!

I've listened to the new album once now. Still too soon to decide if I love it, but definitely not a bad album at all.

Like it's been said, Warrel Dane is much more prevalent in this one. Guess he thinks he's hot shit since that solo album (which I also didn't much care for).

Please post what you think of the vinyl mastering if you can compare it to the CD version!

I've listened to the new album once now. Still too soon to decide if I love it, but definitely not a bad album at all.

Like it's been said, Warrel Dane is much more prevalent in this one. Guess he thinks he's hot shit since that solo album (which I also didn't much care for).

Totally off topic, but Blackwater Park on vinyl sounds amazing compared to the CD. LOL. I know that's random. I just picked it up last week so i'm still just amazed by it. I'm sure this vinyl pressing will sound better than the cd too. But yes please Shane keep us apprised of the situation. :)

I *just* realized the guys covered a Tea Party song on this record. Totally screwed up, I never thought I'd hear that coming from Nevermore!

Unfortunately, as the rest of the record, the vox ruin it for me.

Unfortunately after about 1.5 listens my view is quite similar to Ermin's one on this album. Warrel didn't bother me on TGE because his melodies sounded good and as though they had thought put into them. This time around both vocals and some instrumentation sounds somewhat undeveloped to me and lack a good hook.
Production sounds a bit sparse compared to other Sneap/ NM albums too, but still pretty good.

Wish there were more faster tracks too. :(

Probably the vocals sound un-glued because Warrel recorded them several months after the other instruments (and the initial schedule)....maybe he had to record them very quickly because of the lack of time....don't know.

Unfortunately after about 1.5 listens my view is quite similar to Ermin's one on this album. Warrel didn't bother me on TGE because his melodies sounded good and as though they had thought put into them. This time around both vocals and some instrumentation sounds somewhat undeveloped to me and lack a good hook.
Production sounds a bit sparse compared to other Sneap/ NM albums too, but still pretty good.

Wish there were more faster tracks too. :(

The production sounds a bit sparse because Andy didn't record it. He reamped, mixed, and mastered AFAIK.

Yes, it sounds under-produced. My instinct here is that if they had recorded with Andy he would've pulled a lot more juice out of the record.

I had a similar mix-only record experience recently and am still partly seething from it for the squandered potential.

Hmm, I think the songs are way to cheesy. I never was a fan of Warrels voice, but this Album sounds more like a Warrel-Solo-Album with Loomis on Guitar, than a Nevermore Album.

I've just listened to DHIDW again yesterday (really thoroughly..never noticed the stick-noises during the cymbal-rings in the end etc before ;) )...
I'm LOVING that album for it's openess/rawness, you can tell that there's quite some roomsound on the drums and no extreme editing etc, definitely one of my favorite sounding albums of all time.
then there's TGE...another milestone, more polished/modern sound, just perfect for that particular record.
now this album....I really LOVE how Andy went back to a more natural approach again, the kickdrum isn't fully replaced, the drums sound big and organic, so do the guitars etc, for me this album has the perfect balance between natural/raw and fat/modern.
Whenever Andy's mixing a Nevermore record I know it'll be another milestone and a fucking masterpiece, it always shows that he's doing what's best for the music.

About Warrel's performance....well, this has NOTHING to do with Andy's job (on the contrary, I'm sure that his job would have been way easier with a more consistent performance), but I also like Warrels work on the last records better, it's too much of the depeche mode/gothic think on this one for me....and I HATE depeche mode ;)...and with all the delay in the recording process we can only assume that not everything about the vocal recordings went as it should have.

I still really like this album and still am the biggest nevermore fan, I'm just hoping that Warrel still takes the band seriously and puts some more effort into the next record again.
Nonetheless there're some killer chorusses again on this record, I just don't like that the chorusses are the only sung bits (more or less) and the verses are all speak-sing dep.mode.-style.
I'm not really complaining, cause even if it's 80% for nevermore it'd still be 120% for any other band.

Oops. I hope my comments didn't make it sound like I was blaming anyone in particular for the way it sounds. No blame here, just observations and opinion.

After more listeing in the car I can't say anything more positive. I've gotten use to the songs but after TGE this album sounds like it's just plodding along. I had much higher hopes after the title track competition.