New Nightwish

Psychonaut

God Of Emptiness
Nov 29, 2002
Second left after Wal-Mart
Visit site
I didn't see another thread on it so I was wondering what people thought of it.

I was not a fan of them until Century Child. I saw the video for Bless The Child and liked it so I bought the album and liked it. I think Once was a solid effort too.

So far, Dark Passion Play seems pretty good although I have only heard it through once. The first track, The Poet and the Pendulum, is fantastic. Tuomas really pulled out all the stops on this one.

The rest of the album sounds pretty good. The new singer sounds a lot like the girl from Within Temptation but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, any other thoughts?

I've got mixed emotions so far. I adore Tarja and will sorely miss her in the band (thankfully I've got the End of an Era DVD to appease my soul). Annette's voice is just too...well Evanescence-ish. Too generic.

I do like the music though, especially the production. The bombastic sound of this album is earth-shattering (or at least window-rattling). I'm going to give it a thumbs up, but beyond that I'll wait to see how it grows on me (only about 4-5 listens in) and the pain of no Tarja begins to fade.

I'm going to quote a couple of reviews from M-A:

Let me preface my review with this: I hate Once and the way that Nightwish sold-out. (Sure Century Child was a sign of things to come, but it wasn't actively bad.)... and that is what this album is, just like Once. But even worse...
... Metalheads avoid, stick to anything pre-Century Child.

Dark Passion Play sounds just like Once. If you hated Once, you'll hate this. If you liked Once, you'll like this. Even with a new singer, with a completely differently ranged voice than Tarja's, the overall feeling of Nightwish's music hasn't changed a bit. It seems it is just another solid release from the band.

Basically I agree completely with both reviewers. I felt CC weak at the time it came out and I didn't like it much Marco vocals (although I love it in Tarot). "Once" is worst, I hate myself for have buying it and I seldom listened to it and finally a couple of weeks a go I sold it.
After I heard the samples of the new album and the video of the new single I totally agree that this is Evanescence II, too pop, not much power, boring and uninspired.
Also I saw Tarja's video of her new single and it not much difference from new Nightwish (ironic isn't it?) so basically is too poppish for me too.

Nightwish and Tarja both R.I.P

NP: Astral Doors - 'Quisling'

I liked Century Child, but I never really continued any intrest in the band.

The new chick definitely takes away some of the uniqueness of Nightwish but she's a lot easier on the ears than Tarja whose vocals were just too over the top a lot of the time. There's only so far you can go with a "pure" opera vocalist which I guess is also the reason they originally brought in Marco. There's more room for experimentation now for Tuomas.

Amaranth was a really, really good song IMO and Bye Bye Beautiful is OK too. Haven't heard the entire album but will check it out when it goes midprice. I haven't even heard Once yet actually...

I haven't even heard Once yet actually...

You haven't lost a thing. BTW, what happened to Tarot they disbanded for good or just meanwhile Marco tours with Nightwash?

NP: Darkwater - 'Tallest Tree'

You haven't lost a thing. BTW, what happened to Tarot they disbanded for good or just meanwhile Marco tours with Nightwash?

NP: Darkwater - 'Tallest Tree'
They're on a break, but surely not disbanded to my knowledge. They just filmed a dvd some time ago but besides that there's probably not much action for at least the next year...

Thanks man. I was vey anxious regarding the subject. I know Marco is making more bucks by touring with Nightwash but I don't mind a Tarot album every 2 years or so, nothing but quality since "Spell Of Iron".

NP: Anacrusis - 'Silent Crime'

Once is my fave Nightwish album. As usual, Wyv and I are polar opposites! It's all about the songwriting, and to me Once is the pinnacle.

I read a couple months ago that Tarot taped a concert for DVD. I'll be one of the first in line for that one! I love Marco's vocals.

As always SM and now TSO confirmed that I'm right (as usual). If you guys like "Once" it was a good decision to get rid it. They peaked with "Wishmaster" and then the downfall. Kinda like Metallica story but on overdrive :heh:

NP: Iced Earth - 'Reflections'

I know I differ with most regarding Nightwish, but I prefer "Once" and "Century Child" to both "Wishmaster" & "Oceanborn".

I've never heard the debut.

It's actually quite good, I even like it better than Century Child. As you would expect, it's quite raw compared to later albums, but that's part of its charm. Angels Fall First has great songwriting like Oceanborn and Wishmaster, but it much less cluttered. That was always my problem with those two albums, the compositions are too cluttered. They hadn't yet learned how to blend all those elements without sounding noisy.

I've had a week to digest the new album. And, to my surprise, it kicks total ass! Tuomas is simply a great songwriter. He just gets it. And although Tarja's power is missing, the new vocalist, while a bit generic, still has some powerful pipes! So while there's nothing groundbreaking here, it's alright....the songs are awesome and pack a very powerful, melodic punch. :headbang::kickass:

However, as others have stated: if you dislike the previous two, avoid this one.

Basically what I like about Nightwish at difference from Nightwash is that the first was a wonderful power metal outfit with an operatic voice, while the second is a melodic/symphonic poppy rock(aka Evanescence, new Lacuna Coil)boredomfest. So these guys knew how to play with passion until "Wishmaster" and then lost it. Is not Tarja's fault enterely (she had stated she hates songs like 'Crownless' which are among the best FOR ME they have recorded) but she lost some passion by the time of "Century Child", I doubt is Marco's fault since he's the most experimented/darker of them all (he's into the money of the band, after all since Tarot his band is 10^Nth degree better), so that left Tuomas because is his band and he's the main/only composer.

So Nightwash like Popallica have join the ranks of those who sell their soul for money instead of rock'n'roll. I will continue enjoying the first three and accepting the fourth just like Metallica. Life surely is full of coincidences :D

NP: Freedom Call - 'Blackened Sun'