New Nightwish

The orchestral disc makes an interesting listen, I quite enjoyed that. Its still got the guitars, drums & bass though so dont expect an orchestra only disc.

I think when Tarja was in the band they were more of a cult thing. Annette makes them sound a bit more mainstream, which isn't necessarily bad.

Personally I think I prefer old Nightwish overall, though I don't dislike the new.

OCEANBORN
Wishmaster
Once
Angels Fall First
Century Child

That's my order. I love Oceanborn. It's a great album. I could never really get into Angels Fall First too awful much, but I'm listening to it right now. Once is fair, but I really didn't lie Century Child.

I haven't heard the new album, but I did hear a couple of tunes off of it. I thought it sounded cool. Tarja is much hotter than Anette & I miss her, but I think this new chick could have something new to offer vocal wise. Will it truly be Nightwish with Anette - Who knows?

I have my ticket to go see them on the 15th (I think). I've never seen them. I would really like to see Tarja but I will see them anyway I can. I will be going alone & I'm sure it will be fun. I don't get to go to enough concerts, but I've caught a hand full lately this last month which is cool.

Tarja is much hotter than Anette & I miss her, but I think this new chick could have something new to offer vocal wise. Will it truly be Nightwish with Anette - Who knows?

All Annette has to offer is another Amy Lee clone voice. I don't say that lightly. I had DDP playing in my truck stereo last week and a friend of mine thought it was Evanescence. That's not a good thing.

Actually, it's probably a good thing for Nightwish, because it equals massive album sales to the lowest common denominator, but for their older fans it might just be the death knell of a five-star band.

I wish I could find that old pic of Anette... She did NOT used to look good. I'm rather excited about this new album though, I just haven't heard much yet.

I heard one of the new Nightwish songs off the new album and thought it didn't sound too bad, but one of my friends (who is a big fan of the old Nightwish) thought it didn't have the same kind of sound as before. Anette doesn't have the same kind of image as Tarja either.

Because it doesn't! :D From power metal to symphonic pop it's a huge gap.

NO: Lörihen - 'Vida Eterna'

Shit, I don't know. I personally wouldn't really call them Power Metal, but I do have them in my Symphonic Power Metal folder anyway :p I guess it's the vocals that separate them from my overall view of Power Metal...

Shit, I don't know. I personally wouldn't really call them Power Metal, but I do have them in my Symphonic Power Metal folder anyway :p I guess it's the vocals that separate them from my overall view of Power Metal...

That's a nice thread to make actually. I believe power metal is the widest sub-genre I have seen people discussing from Metal Church to Nightwish into it. Maybe because it's the least defined sub-genre unlike doom or thrash.

Evile - 'Burned Alive'

No Mercy, I listened to your sound samples on your Myspace, and sir, I'm very impressed. You are a great drummer! You've got a future, I'd say. You should be pimping your band in here a bit more...seriously man. Really pro sounding stuff.

Just bought it and have been listening to it repeatedly and I have to say it's one of Nightwish's best efforts, just the epic-lenth opening track is enough to make it worthy. As for Annette's singing I can honestly say that I like it. Yes she's no Tarja and that's a good thing since she's not trying to copy her (which would be almost impossible). Tarja was never the songwriter in the band so the songs stay true to the Nightwish sound and are damn good in my opinion.

That's a nice thread to make actually. I believe power metal is the widest sub-genre I have seen people discussing from Metal Church to Nightwish into it. Maybe because it's the least defined sub-genre unlike doom or thrash.

Evile - 'Burned Alive'

YES, Power Metal is an EXTREMELY wide genre that can encompass many artists (except more extreme vocal bands like Wintersun or Children of Bodom). I personally have a hard time calling Nightwish Metal myself. They're like Symphonic Operatic Power Rock to me :lol:

OK, I went to see them on Thursday night & they were great. The club I saw them at was packed (which is crazy because Orlando is based around Hip-Hop & Pop). I go to see bands that are well known that don't even sell out. I saw Helemt the other week & there were like 100 people at that show.

Anyways, Anette looked really nice & she could carry her voice quite well. The lame thing about the show was the set list which mainly consisted of songs from Dark Passion Play & Once with no songs from the first three albums :zombie: OK, I vaguely remember them playing a single Oceanborn song but I can't remember which song it was exactly.

The great thing about the show was the energy from the crowd. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd go this nuts for a band. I will be going to see them next time they come here definitely.

The lame thing about the show was the set list which mainly consisted of songs from Dark Passion Play & Once with no songs from the first three albums :zombie:

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Olson can't hit Tarja's vocals on the first three (and even the fourth) albums, on the other hand DPP is just an extension of "Once" hence why they play such tunes.

no songs from the first three albums

Damn, I would really like to hear Anette sing Wishmaster but I doubt she could, she is a good singer but i prefer Tarja. This new nightwish sounds more pop rather than operatic but its still acceptable its not the best but its not that bad.