New Opeth interview with Mikael (concerning info about the new 2CD album)

Thanks for the link Metalbite. Good interview, I can see Mikael has the same opinion as me, probably as most of us, about the music industry.

That was an absolutely fantastic interview.

This interview really gave me an idea of what mikael is like, and what his personality and views are.

It might be a biased opinion, but mikael really is just such a damn cool guy.

His views on the industry, music, life etc are the same as mine.

So many great quotes in that interview.

The 2 albums idea, everything mikael says about them is EXACTLY what I want to hear, and I just can't wait. It's gonna be amazing.

With all the great CDs that passed through my hands this year from the metal scenes around the world, it was extremely hard to pick favourites. What caught your attention this year, metal release wise?

Man I'm sorry; I think it's all shit! Katatonia's new disc is awesome, but it's obvious I'd say that right? I am not impressed with metal bands anymore in general. I guess I was a bit excited about all these reunions of old bands, but it turned out to be predictable bollocks music (Iron Maiden). I have problems with new bands...it's so shallow and predictable... Porcupine Tree did a B-side compilation and wiped the entire musical scene clean... with a B-side!! That's only my taste, and I guess I haven't heard it all. No, I'm not excited about anything put out in 2001 really.

Damn straight!

Originally posted by Wolff
With all the great CDs that passed through my hands this year from the metal scenes around the world, it was extremely hard to pick favourites. What caught your attention this year, metal release wise?

Man I'm sorry; I think it's all shit! Katatonia's new disc is awesome, but it's obvious I'd say that right? I am not impressed with metal bands anymore in general. I guess I was a bit excited about all these reunions of old bands, but it turned out to be predictable bollocks music (Iron Maiden). I have problems with new bands...it's so shallow and predictable... Porcupine Tree did a B-side compilation and wiped the entire musical scene clean... with a B-side!! That's only my taste, and I guess I haven't heard it all. No, I'm not excited about anything put out in 2001 really.

Damn straight!
Actually, this part kind of annoyed me. Now, obviously they're not as good as Opeth, but what about bands like Novembre? Seems like maybe he's just stuck in a listening rut. But then again, he does work in a record store, so you'd think he has been exposed to new bands. But Katatonia awesome? Coming from Mikael? Hmmm...how can he be impressed by them and no one else? Oh well, let's not get into that debate again. :p

I worry about the term "space rock." But I'm still very excited for the newest Opeth journey!

Cool interview... The only thing that I don't like about Opeth and their interviews is how obvious they make it who the boss of the band is. I don't think that is healthy for the band.

"The sun is shining today, I'm having a stroll in the park, feeding the doves with crumbs of bread"...is that it?

Aaaaahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cracked up so much at this heheheh :D

Originally posted by Lina
I worry about the term "space rock." But I'm still very excited for the newest Opeth journey!

ME too, what is space rock anyway, I don´t think it sounds all too promising... :confused:

From what I can gather guys; space rock maybe referring to a more progressive, maybe more dreamy Opeth. Lets hope I didn't give him too many ideas with the rap/hip-hop point...*gulp*...

Opeth should remain Opeth though.

When space rock was mentioned I was thinking Pocupine Tree/Pink Floyd type of music. I also didn't like the statement that the music scene sucks right now because my collection is growing every week with some excellent music and I wouldn't consider Katatonia's latest disc LFDGD to being one of those releases.

Actually, this part kind of annoyed me. Now, obviously they're not as good as Opeth, but what about bands like Novembre? Seems like maybe he's just stuck in a listening rut. But then again, he does work in a record store, so you'd think he has been exposed to new bands. But Katatonia awesome? Coming from Mikael? Hmmm...how can he be impressed by them and no one else? Oh well, let's not get into that debate again.

I feel the same. It is absurd to say there are no good metal bands from 2001:rolleyes: :Smug: