New Opeth song - "The Devil's Orchard"

For the first time ever I can say I'm worried that the new Opeth album might not be very good.

edit: let me rephrase; it might not be that enjoyable. Of course it's good music, these guys know how to play their instruments for sure. I'm just not feeling this song as much as previous material.

How do you make a song go all over the place without actually trying to make it go all over the place?

I mean, isn't it sort of redundant to say anything is doing something for the sake of doing the same thing?

I'm taking a dump right now for the sake of taking a dump. How do you take a dump without intending to take a dump?

edit: Actually now that I think about it, I've taken a dump without intending to take a dump before. Disregard this post :lol:

How do you make a song go all over the place without actually trying to make it go all over the place?

I mean, isn't it sort of redundant to say anything is doing something for the sake of doing the same thing?

I'm taking a dump right now for the sake of taking a dump. How do you take a dump without intending to take a dump?

edit: Actually now that I think about it, I've taken a dump without intending to take a dump before. Disregard this post :lol:

Well...

Sometimes you write a song and it just comes out jumpy, unintentionally. But with this, I think Mikael went in the songwriting process with the intention of changing tempo and feel as much as possible.

I fail to see any problem here. Isn't that what a musician is supposed to do? Write what they feel like writing?

I get what John is saying. Theres a difference between writing a song that just happens to be kinda fucked up and weird, and sitting down and going "Okay, i'm gonna write a song that fucked up and weird". The latter requires a conscious effort, and usually feels forced. I haven't given this Opeth song a proper listen, so I don't know if I agree with him about this song, but I get what he is saying.

I thought Ghost Reveries and Watershed were their "70s prog" era Opeth albums...but I realize after hearing this that those were only pre-70s prog era albums. They sounded like the Opeth we all know but with organs, moog and all that shit. This one is definitely into the 70s prog thing to where it almost doesn't even sound like them (the doom/death melancholic, borderline classical influence that was used as part of their sound). I like it.

Hey Kev have you ever had a cuban roast sammich at Paseo's down on Shilshole? To fucking die for!

and I kinda like this song
My fucking god man, have I! No joke it's to die for! I've only had it once and when I first looked at it I though 'no way I can finish that....'

But it was just too delicious. I couldn't have stopped myself from finishing it if I wanted to.

Now I want another one.

It's not bad, but not great. Not quite as catchy as the other albums. Also, this song seems to lack inspiration; seems kinda 'meh'. Judging from the song, it seems like the new album will be the same old recycled formula. I hope I'm wrong.

Obviously musicians should be writing what they feel they need to write, not what fans expect of them.

That being said, I absolutely cannot stand to listen to Damnation more than once every few years, while I can listen to pretty much any of their other albums all day without having a huge preference for one over the other (Ok, My Arms, Your Hearse or Still Life would always win if I had to choose). I like it when they add a song or two that's entirely clean vocals and on the softer side, or when they have songs that may be mostly clean vocals--yet they are usually still able to throw in contrasting elements at some point--but I absolutely cannot take an entire album like that. The ironic part is, I absolutely hated any and all death/black vocals until this band.

Opeth are at their best when creating a dichotomy though, but whatever. They can do what they want. I'll just have to keep listening to past albums. Some people would make claims that Opeth are extremely overrated and only play pretentious music. Up until now I would fully disagree, but with this song I can see their point. This song has it's moments, but overall it's not doing a whole lot for me.

Don't forget the trend in their latest albums that most of the songs aren't all of the same style either, so I'm expecting alot of different kinds on this new album. I hope.

Either way I'm liking this.

Absolutely love Steve Wilson's production on this and love the song even if it is more prog than prog, but not sure how I will cope without a single growl from Mikael........looking forward to hearing Heritage anyhow. It's gotta be good, it's Opeth!