New Opeth song

Is it just me or do they sound like they're not as "tight" as they once were? It could just be the sound quality messing things up for my ears. Sounds promising though... we'll see :)

I love opeth, but man i wish they didn't let fucking Per Wiberg join with his shit keyboards... with the exception of damnation of course. This video seems promising... hard to tell with the sound quality, very harsh dissonant sounding song. Can't wait to hear it on cd.

I love opeth, but man i wish they didn't let fucking Per Wiberg join with his shit keyboards... with the exception of damnation of course. This video seems promising... hard to tell with the sound quality, very harsh dissonant sounding song. Can't wait to hear it on cd.

:erk::erk::erk::erk::erk::erk::erk:

I think they keys are a pretty bad ass edition. tbh.

Hard to tell what this song is like from this clip, but it sounds like Opeth. Who's playing bass in that clip and what's Byron Stroud doing playing guitar with them? :lol:

I think Steve Wilson wrote the keys for Damnation. You can see in the studio footage on the Lamentations DVD

Edit: Wow those pinch harmonic's in the heavier riff doesn't really sound like "Opeth"...
@Kazrog: I think it's the current bassist Martin Mendez with less hair lol

"Ghost Reveries" is one of my favorite Opeth albums. I also think Per was an excellent addition to the band. I hold "Ghost Reveries" up there with "Blackwater Park" and "Damnation."

I don't get the hate for GR honestly. I know lots of cats don't dig it, but after many listens I was hooked.

-Joe

Ghost reveries is brilliant in my opinion. The production and mix are absolutely amazing. I think its the most listenable and best produced opeth record. Not sure i could ever pick a favorite though.

I love GR, myself. I think Per is one of the most tasteful keyboard players in metal. (His lines don't sound like an 8-bit NES, for one... :lol: )

I can't wait for the new album. The reviews I've read so far sound really intriguing. This (Heir Apparent) is the straight-up metal song, or so I've heard.

I think Steve Wilson wrote the keys for Damnation. You can see in the studio footage on the Lamentations DVD

Yeah Steve Wilson has contributed a lot of great musical ideas for opeth, including keys and leads such as the lead on the intro for Drapery Falls amazing song, but i was really hoping the keys would go after D/D. The keys really help fill the D/D albums out because they are in essence opeths heavy and clean ripped in half onto two seperate albums.

I'm not a hater of GR i really like it, i just couldn't wait for opeth to return to the norm after D/D, and with the introduction of the keys, the band dynamics have changed quite a lot. I just imagine i would have liked it more if it was written without keys in mind.

I guess i'm on my own with the keys here. I've been following Opeth chronologically since Morningrise, and one of the things that made me love them so much was their abstract structuring with lots of long, dark and thinly textured passages, exploding into dense thick heavy sections... Fantastic dynamics the early albums, i feel that a lot of that is lost with the intoduction of keyboards...

But thats just my opinion.

They are using marshalls now? I wonder how thats gonna turn out.

Yeah I noticed they were using Marshalls, but they always used to just run the poweramp of Laneys, so maybe it was just a lender or something.

I'm quite interested to see how the album will turn out with Martin Axenrot on drums instead of Lopez...

I'm assuming the Marshalls were provided backline for the Melloboat show. Looks like the new(ish) 4 channel JVMs, which seem ideally suited for that sort of thing. Opeth's use of their Laney stuff is pretty unusual, in that they go straight in in the studio, but only use 'em as a poweramp for a modeler live. If they are using Marshalls these days, honestly, I don't see their tone being much different. Before I knew what they were using for Ghost Reveries, I initially assumed there were Marshalls in there somewhere upon first hearing the album; it's got that Marshall high mid bite going on. Wouldn't be a bad choice for them, really.

I'm curious about Axenrot's drumming as well. I really liked his performance on The Roundhouse Tapes. He's definitely got the chops for all the jazz stuff and one-handed rolls Lopez liked to use, and to be honest, I think I like his live playing better. His tempo seems more consistent, and he pushes the beat forward on the more agressive stuff. I was skeptical until I heard him live, but now I'm pretty convinced, and it was the jazz flavor of Lopez's drumming I enjoyed the most.

Yeah in the Katatonia video my friend shot there they were using Marshalls as well. I think it is just what the bands were provided with on the boat so they would not have to bring a ton of stuff.

That's good to know, I haven't heard The Roundhouse Tapes yet so I'm looking forward to that! Yeah Lopez was a really talented drummer but I think his personal issues got in the way towards the end to be honest.

As far as I was aware a lot of the tracks on the albums were Dual Rec, and the earlier stuff 5150/Engl. Although it does say they used the Laneys a bit on the newer ones so who knows. I'm sure whatever they're using the tone will remain killer, Akerfeldt seems to know exactly what he likes.

The Roundhouse Tapes is good stuff. The production isn't so great; it doesn't hold a proverbial candle to Lamentations, but the performance is good, and I think any worries anyone has about Axenrot's ability to pull off Opeth's material should be taken care of. It's worth a listen.

The Dual Rec seems very prominent on Deliverance, not so much on Ghost Reveries. (Come to think of it, is it a Dual or a Triple they like to use? Not that it matters that much.) The 5150 and ENGL heads are the house amps at Fredman, and they wind up on pretty much everything that goes through there. GR sounds like it's mostly their Laneys. BWP sounds to me like a 5150 turned up loud with the gain backed off.

I think they've had great tone ever since Blackwater Park. I'm especially impressed with their clean and lead tones. I've heard a lot of great rhythm tones on metal albums, but their use of a lower gain lead tone really allows a lot of dynamics and subtleties to come through. And the clean tones on GR are the best I've heard on a metal album, easily. The clean lead on Hours Of Wealth has a depth to it you never hear on metal records. I think they're using Laney's Vox AC30 clone for cleans in the studio these days.