New Opeth!

Fyhed said:
Its oK but they use the Melotron too much,

They use the keys and stuff for the sake of it in my opinion
eh? :confused:

as opposed to what?

i've always though metal bands used guitar, bass and drums for the sake of it. :Smug:

whatever.. the melotron works.. it fits.. it sounds good where it's at.. no other bands as heavy as them are doing it...... so yeah, they are doing it for the sake of it... for the sake of making a good, unique sound. i'm down for that.

I think this album is truly an epic masterpiece in Opeth's non-slowing career. Personally, I love the keys. They have used Keys on most of their albums and it adds a nice ambience that would otherwise be lacking. Also, I can't seem to put this album down. I keep listening to it. There are SO MANY elements throughout... it's hard to get all of it in 1 listen, 2 listens, 100 listens. Well worth picking up. The production and sound on it is incredible.

It's nice to hear a keyboardist in a metal band who doesn't sound like he's playing an 8-bit NES. :D Seriously, the mellotron and Hammond organ rock. I wouldn't mind having a mellotron string sample at all.

Anyone know what amps they used on the new one? Their tone sounds very Marshally; I'm guessing it's their Laneys?

They tuned down on this one and there's alot more emphasis on rhythm and odd time bits than on previous efforts. They manage to do it well though; they keep it sounding interesting and fresh rather than played out. And Akerfeldt's vocals have improved yet again, if such a thing is possible. Great production, too. I wish Martin Lopez was up a little higher in the mix, but other than that, I've no complaints. Great record, as per usual.

Exocaster said:
It's nice to hear a keyboardist in a metal band who doesn't sound like he's playing an 8-bit NES. :D Seriously, the mellotron and Hammond organ rock. I wouldn't mind having a mellotron string sample at all.

Anyone know what amps they used on the new one? Their tone sounds very Marshally; I'm guessing it's their Laneys?

They tuned down on this one and there's alot more emphasis on rhythm and odd time bits than on previous efforts. They manage to do it well though; they keep it sounding interesting and fresh rather than played out. And Akerfeldt's vocals have improved yet again, if such a thing is possible. Great production, too. I wish Martin Lopez was up a little higher in the mix, but other than that, I've no complaints. Great record, as per usual.

Im pretty sure they used engle heads actually, the powerball. (sweet fucker of an amp) And they did open chord tunings like D minor mostly by the sound of it and possibly even E monior but im not to sure about the E minor.

I think the mellotron was done very well, its well layerd music and this instrument just added that extra place to go to.

yeah I felt Lopez was back in the mix also. I'm surprised by that as he's a fussy bugger,he has to hear every cymbal, that was his main complaint about Deliverence (although I only had 2 oh's recorded on that to work from) and he's alot more up front on that one. Besides that its a great album, although I've not managed to listen to it in one go yet, I really like the keys also.

Nuk3m said:
Im pretty sure they used engle heads actually, the powerball. (sweet fucker of an amp) And they did open tunings like D minor mostly by the sound of it and possibly even E monior but im not to sure about the E minor.

I think the mellotron was done very well, its well layerd music and this instrument just added that extra place to go to.
nope, not Engl

Andy Sneap said:
yeah I felt Lopez was back in the mix also. I'm surprised by that as he's a fussy bugger,he has to hear every cymbal, that was his main complaint about Deliverence (although I only had 2 oh's recorded on that to work from) and he's alot more up front on that one. Besides that its a great album, although I've not managed to listen to it in one go yet, I really like the keys also.

I don't know how much influence he would have had on the mix, though. I definitely liked his snare sound better on Deliverance. It had a nice, woody crack to it. The sound suits his playing well.

How much of his kit was triggered on Deliverance, if I may ask? I was under the impression it's just the kicks during the heavy bits. I'm curious, as he seems to be far more (intentionally ;) ) dynamic of a drummer than most. I don't suppose the snare was triggered at all? Maybe just the hard hits, leaving the ghost notes untouched?

On the "redesigned" Opeth site Mikael did another Session Diary. You can find it under Discography. He said that they used different combinations of amps, mainly Laney, Mesa and Vox. Anyway...yeah....it is a great album :loco: I like the keys too. They add an eerie feeling to some of the songs where otherwise it might sound like empty space. Eh, just my .02!

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Personally i don't like this album as much as deliverance, and i don't like the drum sound much either...

I'm not digging that snare at all. Maybe we're all spoiled by Andy's drums?

I really like the new album. But for some reason, I just can't get into it as much as Blackwater Park. I've listened to GR twice... so a few more listens are in order.

What did amaze me though were Mikael's sung vocals time time around. He has really pushed himself this time and the result is amazing. Before, whenever he would do the sung parts, I'd say to myself "Yeah that's cool... but bring on the growling".

This time I really had a fever, and the only prescription was more 'sung' vocals :)

Bought it about 15 minutes ago. This album is incredible! Of course I've been listening to it for a month, but I have to say it is my favorite Opeth release overall, although Damnation is a very close second.

I personally can't get enough of the Mellotron... it's so rad!