New Opeth!

Yep, this album is killer and no filler.

I combines all previous works into one album, it has elements of all albums there and yet it still moves forward and progresses.

The vocals are supurb, guitar tone is great, drums are as good as ever...very under-reated drummer so all in all I give this album 4.5/5

Bring on the tour I say.

The album is fucking great, it is a very different sound for the band. It's almost like it has a huge classic rock, and 70's prog influence, especially in some of the vocal melodies. Too soon to tell right now, but I think that it has the possibility of being one of the true timeless albums.

Nitronium Blood said:
Can James or Andy or anyone provide some insight as to why they chose to use a different studio, and work with a different co-producer?

Wouldn't you want to stick to something that works... or is it a 'lets be dangerous and exciting and spontaneous' mentality? :)

Well, BWP, Deliverance and Damnation all have different mix engineers too. So which "something that works" are you refering to?

Nitronium Blood said:
Can James or Andy or anyone provide some insight as to why they chose to use a different studio, and work with a different co-producer?

Wouldn't you want to stick to something that works... or is it a 'lets be dangerous and exciting and spontaneous' mentality? :)

Stevo Wilson was unavailable due to PT commitments.

I thought Deliverance was amazing, as was Damnation. In fact, I'd say every Opeth album is brilliant. I can't think of one song they've done that I don't absolutely love. Probably the only band I can say that about.

egan. said:
Well, BWP, Deliverance and Damnation all have different mix engineers too. So which "something that works" are you refering to?
Studio Fredman, Steve Wilson and Andy Sneap's mixing prowess.

They have rendered success upon Opeth before and I just suppose Opeth are from the 'variety is the spice of life school', unlike myself who believes that once you find something that works awesomely... stick with it.

But then again, I have no critically acclaimed albums under my belt :D

Thanks for the info Hopkins. Quite right about choc-a-bloc Stevo.

I think the album sounds amazing. I liked Deliverance alot but you can definately tell that they are more focused on this record. One thing that I can agree with most people on this board with is that the snare is a bit thin to my taste. I sampled it out from the record(Beneath the Mire about 1:45 in) and it doesn't seem to have much power behind it. It definately has a good attack but it doesn't seem to to have the balls behind it. To me so far Lopez's kit seems to sit fine.....maybe could be a bit further ahead but it hasn't been a problem for me. The clean vocals on this record are by far his best...imo. :headbang:

I have a question:

Why is the Opeth forum not re-opened? Afterall, they were just going to have it closed until "Ghost Reveries" was released.

But hey, just my general bitching. Cheers to Opeth and "Ghost Reveries"! :kickass:

Moonlapse said:
Not sure. Samsara's e-mailed the Opeth camp with no luck, so we're not sure why they're not giving the green light to re-open the forum. They may just be considering not re-opening at all.
I for one would like to see it opened if all the "funny" guys would get banned.