New Opeth!

Jeezus klyste!!! I don't want to sound like those guys on the internet who just start complaining for the hell of it but get off these guys nuts already. Yeah, they're good but someone please explain to me why everyone has been on their jock so hardcore for the past few years. Yes, they're great musicians and yes they are good songwriters, and damn the dude has a good voice when he's not doing a cookie monster impersonation.

But FUCK bro's, NONE of that changes the fact that when I saw 'em live a couple years back I nearly fell asleep. Does anyone else hear me on that?!

What am I missing about this band that everyone else loves them so much for?

Genius Gone Insane said:
But FUCK bro's, NONE of that changes the fact that when I saw 'em live a couple years back I nearly fell asleep. Does anyone else hear me on that?!

What am I missing about this band that everyone else loves them so much for?
Do you also like Slipknot for their "intense" live show? :tickled:

Opeth is one of the tightest bands ever live, plus Mike always cracks up a joke or two inbetween the songs. I have seen them 4 times so far and I still can't believe how much better they get at replicating the feel of their albums live especially with Per added to the line-up.

It is all about MUSIC anyways! :headbang:

Last time I saw them, Mike jumped over the kit from the back of the stage with the aid of a trampoline and Peter was fire breathing 3 songs in. Unfortunately word got out there was some paint drying out side and the venue rapidly emptied....stiff competition.

It's a different vibe with these guys live, I didn't get it first time I saw them in a small club, second time, in a theatre, with better sound and lights I was" ahhh I see". Still think Mike should wear a smoking jacket and have a pipe live haha.

To me, Opeth is really a band you have to listen to a lot to get into, it took me a lot of listenings (and because this was the only CD I could access for a whole week) before I could love them (it was with "Orchid"...), it's not an easy listening band. My 2 cents...

Don't get me wrong, I think they're a great band (I've got a couple of their CDs) and I've listened and listened and forced myself to listen more just because so many people--not just metalheads--love them. But I don't fricken get it. IMO They have a lot of great parts in their music, but I would say that probably 2/3 of the material is somewhat pedestrian at best. The other 1/3 is really innovative and actually quite incredible but overall I just can't understand why everyone is on their nuts all the time. OK I better stop now, I'm beginning to sound like that internet trash who complain about everying and I don't want to become one of those pinners that we all hate. Just had to vent. But seriously, does anyone hear where I'm coming from?

BTW I dragged a few other friends to that show and they let me have it for making them go. I still haven't heard the end of it.

Genius Gone Insane said:
But seriously, does anyone hear where I'm coming from?

BTW I dragged a few other friends to that show and they let me have it for making them go. I still haven't heard the end of it.

I'll agree with Murph on this one and reiterate what he said... :err: ... no.

When you go to an Opeth gig, your expectations shouldn't be based on what they would usually be for a metal show. A lot of people have that 'snoozefest' complaint, but it's usually because all the bands that precede and follow Opeth on the stage usually have more of an energetic vibe about them. Opeth have always been about dynamics... it isn't a constant thrash fest that you can keep a pit going to down in the crowd.

The gig they played here last March was quite easily the best gig I've ever been to, simply because I understand the music, I can take in the vibe, and enjoy myself on a much higher level than say... I did when I saw Deeds of Flesh and we were all kicking each other in the head.

Ghost Reveries is quite easily the best metal album that's come out this year IMHO, despite how much I love Blut Aus Nord's EP. Maybe not even just this year, but even after Blackwater Park.

Sure you get the releases from Kreator and Nevermore and such that really kick you in the face and say 'fuck man, that's some good metal'... Opeth slay on a whole different tier of music. There's just been those indescribable elements to their music that keep me coming back... the fact that they always change, yet you can still recognize them as 'Opeth'. Listen to Orchid, then listen to Ghost Reveries... I mean, holy crap... Other bands are still pushing the 'metal' thing, rehashing themselves, and they ultimately just continue to sound like their old stuff... Opeth totally reinvent themselves on every release, and it's this diversity, both between the albums, and throughout the songs themselves that keeps people so hooked.

Nitronium Blood said:
Opeth to me have a vibe that's similar to Tool.

Moments of subtlety, bleneded with moments of sheer metal.

Wha? :err: ... insult .... TOOL of all bands ... i'm speechless ... :Smug:

Opeth would be better suited to a nice bar with a chilled atmosphere, comfy sofa's e.t.c as opposed to the " lets mosh and make people bleed " approach, that usually occurs at most metal shows.

I agree with Andy and James... as usual... LOL...

The "Lamentations" DVD is absolutely addicting. And the best sound I've ever heard on a live DVD, courtesy of Mr. Sneap.

Opeth blew every band away at Sounds of the Underground. Bear in mind, they had to follow the likes of DevilDriver, Chimaira, Strapping Young Lad, etc., but what was so incredible about Opeth's set was that instead of moshing, everyone came in closer and payed attention to the actual music, what a concept! It was astonishingly powerful, the effect they had on the crowd in Los Angeles that day. I didn't see a single person who wasn't completely absorbed in the experience.

Some bands actually do deserve the endless stream of praise, and Opeth is one of these few.

I really like opeth's stuff but i can't say i found much of interest on the new album, it might be that i haven't listened to it enough yet, only like 3-4 plays, but the other stuff i've liked instantly, i just feel they've sort of lost a lot of the things i liked about em. Can't put my finger on what it is tho haha...
But i mean, they can't please everyone can they.