New or old Opeth?

Austin7

Third Eye Guy
Jan 13, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
I got started on the new stuff (Still Life), and that's all I listened to for a while, then I heard Orchid and Morningrise, and I'm torn, I can't decide which is better. Which one do you like better?

I think you'll find people here like their old and new stuff here pretty equally. Every album has a different sound...my personal favourite is Orchid, and my least favourite is Blackwater Park, but that's not to say I liked Morningrise better than Still Life...if that makes any sense.

Although I do find old Opeth rich in vitamin kick ass, I would take the newer stuff any day. I have to be the only guy here who has Still Life in the #1 slot of favourite Opeth albums (although it's tied with MAYH, hehe).

i just got my opethian cherry broken not even a week ago, but this is what i gather so far. i ordered mayh, still life, and bwp last saturday. after that, i started stealing mp3's from winMX cuz all i had were samples and it was killing me. i downloaded about 3 and 1/2 hrs. worth of stuff. i haven't heard anything i didn't like. but just today mayh and bwp came in the mail, (still waitin on still life the fuckers,) so i'm concentrating on getting the rest of the stuff from orchid and morningrise. i prefer the newer stuff so far, i like the old stuff, but the newer is maybe just a little quicker to absorb. i'm sure by the time i have everything, and listen for a month or so i'll be able to target a favorite cd. right now though, bwp and still life contain most of my favorite tracks, but credence is the fucking balls too. i don't know. i guess you could just say......ITS ALL GOOD!:D

im a middleman
and then either side of MAYH are equally as good.

I came into Opeth with Still Life, then Blackwater Park and here recently i been wearing out MAYH and Morningrise every chance I get. So now I have become torn between which I like better. I'm sure this is very common, I guess we all will just have live with pain of not being able to chose.

"Chose? I'll take Charleston Chews for 16,000,000!"

i agree with wolff

my first album was MAYH, then Sl then orchid, then BWP then morningrise, and i have to say i left the best till last.

To me MORNINGRISE is unquestionably their best cd. Much better than Orchid which is my second favorite. I like MAYH and Still Life good enough, but they share this common sound....something about the way the guitars sound and the drumming....maybe it's the production? I'm no technical expert, I just know I like the old "sound" better. Even tho I liked Still Life, I still haven't even gotten around to getting Black Water Park. I have some mp3's and they have that same new sound that I dont' like as much.

I don't get "the chill" from the new stuff like i did the old.. Morningrise and MAYH are the best for that i think, But i like all of it still... But i wish i could still get chilled by the music Opeth writes... I haven't been chilled since Epilogue or the end of Demon Of The Fall... not to say there isn't good music on the others... it is just... different... like maybe not as deep.

When I need emotional relief or want to wallow in my feelings, Orchid or Morningrise.

When I want to be impressed by pure musical bliss, maybe the later stuff.

Poetic enough, huh? ;)

even if we are the same in that we are a minority because we love Opeth's music.

Still Life and MAYH sounds the same???

To me, they couldn't sound any more different.

It's cool that we come here because we enjoy Opeth, yet we may hear Opeth much differenly than each other.