• Total voters

ChrisAHC

The (Un)Linear Scaffold
Apr 24, 2004
Old Opeth = Orchid and Morningrise
New Opeth = The rest

Old all the way for me :headbang:

By the way this is a POLL ^

i prefer new opeth according to your definition...personally i'd differentiate between three phases:

old: orchid, morningrise
middle: MAYH, SL
new: BWP, D1

D2 doesnt count imo. i surely believe the middle phase albums to be the best!

My favorite is the new (MAYH forward), but that's not to say that the old was without its good points.

Old Opeth all the way. I like MAYH a lot and I sometimes want to put that in with Old Opeth but I guess not.

Dont get me wrong New Opeth is fucking awesome, but Orchid and Morningrise are my 2 favorite Opeth albums.

Honestly, old Opeth really can do the trick for me sometimes, but I would be desperate for good music if they didn't make their new stuff. I think it's all genius, but with 'Morningrise' being my favorite album, and loving dual guitar harmonies, I'd say that 'Morningrise' was my favorite Opeth era. It's all genius though, and I am very glad they stopped with the twin guitar harmonies, because who really wants an 'Orchid II' or 'Morningrerisen'?

Old Opeth.
There are some twisted stereo melodies in there... I like the new stuff but I was a bit disapointed when they released MAYH. I know that Mike is sick and tired of stereo melodies but they were the ones who mastered it IMO.

I like the newer opeth more than the old because Mike's vocals have improved alot and the guitar playing sounds more precise whereas in the first two albums some parts sounded as if the guitars werent exactly matching up and the vocals were a bit weaker, But the first two albums still rock balls.

Well, they're completely different styles, but here's the breakdown:

Older Opeth: Had a very evil epic feeling to the music, Mike's vocals were fucking awesome, it's not that he's developed his growl into what it is, it's that he consciously made a change in heavy vocal styles, and I always thought older was more epic. But this also did have lots of songs that sounded the same in a way, with all of the dual harmonies, and that stuff, and some boring interludes sometimes too.

Newer Opeth (excluding D1 and D2) is very innovative, tries new things, and usually they sound great, Mike's CLEAN voice has gotten much better, and this is where the epicness of the music comes, the dynamics of the death metal grunt and his now great clean voice. The riffs are a lot more awkward and unpredictable, solos are more scarce, but have more emotion to them, drums are MUCH better. MAYH is my favorite Opeth album, because I believe it blends the best of both Opeth's it's very dark and evil, yet with great new riffs and ideas that they put to use today.

So I voted new, because I dont think they'll ever top MAYH or SL.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Older Opeth: Had a very evil epic feeling to the music, Mike's vocals were fucking awesome, it's not that he's developed his growl into what it is, it's that he consciously made a change in heavy vocal styles, and I always thought older was more epic.

I've noticed this when listening to Orchid and Morningrise lately... the higher vocals (which I used to assume were just a less evolved or more poorly recorded version of his new vocals), are actually just a different style. I like how some of the screams on the early albums go really fucking high, and seem to crack at times, but it sounds so cool.

Morningrise is my fav. album, but I believe that BWP is the best anyways...there's a lot going on there and is a very diverse album...it belongs to the "new era" of Opeth, so I don't know, I particullarly can't pick cos every one of the albums represents a different style, and I love each one of them...despite liking more one than the other. They're like my cats, all special!!!!!!!!!!
I definetly think, no...KNOW that Martin Lopez is a fucking GENIOUS!!!!! It'd amazing how awesome are D1 and D2 drumming. AMAZING DRUMMER!!!!!! And I LOVE the latinamerican feel in Death whispered a llulaby...it's touching for me hearing those beats in Opeth.

Well Orchid is my fav and MAYH or Still Life would be in second place, so both really. I guess you could say, since Orchid is my fav that i like old Opeth better, but then Morningrise is pretty much my second least favourite so it's kind of unbalanced that way.