New or old Opeth?

I'm one of the Morningrise lovers...it's just a goddamned masterpiece. Orchid, MAYH, and Still Life were all just wonderful...and BWP...nothing on BWP can compare with even the first minute of Advent, the climax of Night and the Silent Water, the sexy bass lines of Nectar, the intertwined guitars and perfection of drumming in Black Rose Immortal, and the simple, folky beauty of To Bid You Farewell. Morningrise made me hate 3 minute songs, and choruses, and catchy music...made me hate anything that lacked Opeth's quality. To me, without Morningrise, Opeth would be just another really good band.

If I removed Morningrise...erased it from my memory and only left the other albums, I would love Orchid the most. The whispering vocals, the way the bass contrasts the high twin harmonies, and the long, wailing riffs and raw drums...all just tasty, and all leading up to that opening emotional acoustic piece in Apostle In Triumph that I love every time I hear.

I love MAYH and Still Life, too...but they don't amaze me the way the first albums did.

I rarely even listen to BWP, I played it a million times when I first had it, but...it's as if it's by a different artist. The production change influenced everything. Think of Bob Rock and Metallica...

Morgan

its too hard a decision to make so id have to say old, because theres 3 old albums (as you put it) and 2 new, which means more songs. and as theyre all great (plenty of quality) im gonna have to go for quantity. a bit of a cop out, but hey.

Orchid and Morningrise is for me good albums...The later stuff (especially MAYH) is much more Opeth to me.
With other words. I like their later albums much more.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
I don't get "the chill" from the new stuff like i did the old.. Morningrise and MAYH are the best for that i think, But i like all of it still... But i wish i could still get chilled by the music Opeth writes... I haven't been chilled since Epilogue or the end of Demon Of The Fall... not to say there isn't good music on the others... it is just... different... like maybe not as deep.

Orchid and Morningrise are good albums and epic too but
what´s the hassle with these albums? Still life, BWP and also
MAYH are coherent albums. I can´t say same about Orchid and
Morningrise. TBYF is mayby the most overrated Opeth song ever...
:rolleyes: I´ll send a new thread about this...

I personally think that TBYF is one of Opeths worse songs. I dont like Mikaels voice and I think it sometimes sounds a little corny.

He has really improved on his clean voice since the old ones.

I go all over the place. Excepting MAYH, which I just got and can't really rank yet, I would place them like this:

1. Blackwater Park
2. Orchid
3. Morningrise / Still Life (tie)

Having listened to MAYH maybe 4-5 times through I would have to say it probably comes right behind BWP, but maybe after a few more listens I'll know for sure.

In order :

1.Morningrise - absolute masterpiece there...

now it's harder to say, i probably go with:
2.Still Life
3.Orchid
4.My arms your hearse
and finally Blackwater Park

I found BWP a bit more harder to get into even still now
i think it's ok but nothing compare to the old album

but i must say im looking forward for the 2 new CD especially the mellow one...i dig so much Opeth slower stuff with Mikael clean singing and accoustic guitar...thats why Harvest is my fav song too from BWP

I guess I think Blackwater Park is so much better because I'm a guitarist and can enjoy all the good stuff put into that record. Orchid got a lot spirit, but the sound kinda sucks and the aucostic parts aren't that good.

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece, it seems to blend different styles (almost got some jazz stuff in it I think), and is truly uniqe.
Their new dubbel cd is going to be a orgasm.