new peavey vypyr 120 tube head

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
Yeah fo sho man. My friend wants to get the head ASAP. Clips would be great, especially the Krankenstein emulation ;)

~006

ive played the 75 watt version, dialed into my normal 6505 settings with TS and i really liked it, it roared like a 6505 should, didnt try any other amp model.

i want to get it as a practice amp, but then i heard about the new head version coming and ill think ill wait for that.

I think I'd rather have an HD147 for the reliability factor of a Solid State power amp; if I'm gonna go tube, I'd wanna go all-or-nothing (all-tube amp and limited external FX)

i just hate bringing my pedal board extra and conecting all the cables. i don't wanna go rack for price and weight reasons. a decent all-in-one amp could be handy as fuck
why aren't there any midi switchable tube amps with build in noisegate, tube screamer, wah wah, delay and reverb?

Yeah, that always pissed me off as well, but it's probably because the transformers are a really big part of the sound of the good tube amps, and all that extra crap would put more of a strain on them. I know Hughes and Kettner makes all-tube amps with built in FX, but we all know how well regarded those are around here ;) (personally, I've really never heard a clip of one, just negative and "eh" opinions)

You guys may want to check out this forum before spending any money on a Vypyr:

http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=33&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=25

I own the 30 watt combo, and it sounds great (for the most part), but Peavey really fucked up on QC with these amps. Major issues: boot-up problems, this uber-annoying high frequency "whine" that's present after notes decay on almost all amp models. The high-frequency noise drives me up the fucking walls. Some people aren't bothered by it, but I know you guys here will hear it like I do and it will drive you crazy as well. It's horrible on the 5150, JSX, Diezel models and makes them unusable, IMO. Thankfully, the whine is least prominent on the Recto model, which is my fave. I sometimes I have to power my amp on 10 times before it boots up correctly. Good for a practice amp, but as a gigging amp? Hell no!!!

Go to GC, plug into any of the combos, turn the volume to a decent level, set it on the 6505 model, and do a couple palm mutes and listen closely as the note dies out. Once you hear it, you won't be able to ignore it and it will drive you fucking nuts.

yet to have any issues. but I own a 15watt vypyr. What I did notice though if you put the amp at ear height it sounds much more fizzy than let's say 1 feet below. Ok this is true for every amp/cab, I know. But with this combo the position really matters. Anyway since the 120H is not yet released issues may get solved until release day. I'll sure check it out!
But what I really like is their punch, which line6 is not able to create!

I do think Peavey addressed the firmware issues or something. It is kinda lame, but was probably do to rushing them out or something. Personally, I've found most Peavey stuff to be pretty tough and reliable.

I do think Peavey addressed the firmware issues or something. It is kinda lame, but was probably do to rushing them out or something. Personally, I've found most Peavey stuff to be pretty tough and reliable.

I've updated the firmware to latest on mine. Still has bootup problems, and still has the annoying high frequency noise (which they admitted they did not fix). People were bitching like crazy on that forum about the noise, and the thread got locked by one of the support guys at Peavey, and they never said anything about fixing it. They blamed it on the 5 million D/A and A/D conversions that the signal goes through inside the amp. I love the amp, and think it's easily the best sounding modelling amp out there, but luckily I was looking for a good Recto tone and not much more. The Recto model is quite impressive and, like I said, doesn't have much of the annoying noise.

I've only just started to play again since my hand accident in September, and since I sold my Rev Jr.:cry:, I needed something to play through. So, I went to GC and got the 75 watt version of the Vypyr. I did a little after market wiring and connected it through my 2X12 Celestion cabinet and it sounds awsome. Granted, I can only do barre chords and palm mutes right now. But, I love the way this thing sounds. I have had slight issues with boot up but no whining noise to speak of. I have yet to do a firmware update as my computer terminal is still in shambles from my move in July (lazy). I am dying to try out the tube head version as soon as it is released. Very surprised though by this fairly inexpensive piece of equipment.

n1170411367_237476_1737.jpg

n1170411367_237477_1979.jpg

I have 5 screws in my fret hand. The bone was pulverized. Looks MUCH better now!