peavey vypyr series

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
im prob gona get raped for saying this but i tried out one about 2 weeks ago and they're really fucking good!

as far as modeling amps go they are the best i've seen on the market. they squeal like a tube head and when using the small 30 or 40 watt ones (i dont remember what it was) they have a big fucking sound. not like my line 6 spider 212 combo. its hard to get low end outa my spider but the vypyr series just rumble like a mother fucker.

still gona stick with my 6505+ but good job peavey. many kiddies will be happy!

I liked the sounds when I tested in GC. Could see owning one. I remember thinking how cheap-o the knobs were. Each one wiggled like it was loose. I swear the sounds of amps are getting better, and the build quality is going down the tubes (pun intended).

Beware of these amps!
I work in a music store that buys and sells Peavey, apparently these amps are VERY sensitive to temperature.
Some people have sent them back for repair, when it in fact turned out that the room they had the amps in where to cold. ;X

Yeah, from what I've heard reliability doesn't seem to be their strong suit; I've heard issues of random noises creeping in, as well as bootup problems related to firmware (and the last thing I'd want an amp to do is "crash" on me! :erk: )

Yeah theres a fair few threads floating around about the reliability been questionable..which is a shame because the people who get a 'good/working' one have said there amazing for the price...

I've got the 30 watt combo and it sounds quite killer, but there are definitely boot up issues when the room gets colder. I've had to power mine on upwards of 15 times during the winter to get it to boot properly. Also, some amp models have this super-annoying high frequency squeal as the notes decay that drives me bonkers and renders these particular models useless (6505, JSX, even some of the cleaner models). I thought my amp was defective, but I played through several different Vypyrs at GC (15, 30, and 75 watt versions) and they all had the squeal, or whine as some people call it. Supposedly it's because of all the D/A and A/D conversion going on in the amp.

It is a great sounding amp, though, especially the Krank, Plexi, and Mesa models. It doesn't really need a tube screamer to tighten it up, either. I would never use one as a gigging amp, though.

Can someone tell me if these run a output transformer like the XXL does?

I wouldn't bet on it given the price and also the fact that they offer some tube versions (including a tube head now) which would cover the OT thing