New Periphery Double Album

Double albums seem to always be a bad idea. It's usually one great album split into 2 mediocre ones no matter how you cut it IMO.

I agree, my attention span has always been 7 to 8 songs. I usually can't enjoy a full album for an hour or so, I'd rather have 30 to 40 awesome minutes than only listening to tracks 1 2 3 5 8 9 and 11. Of course that's absolutely subjective, not everyone likes the same songs, but a double album will rarely be played on its entirety in my listening devices.

New video up talking about the album. Interesting that he mentions some songs were written with vocals in mind which they hadn't done previously. Still trying to reserve as much judgement as possible until the albums are out but I agree I probably won't sit down and listen to them back to back unless I'm on an arduous car journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate when Spencer sings with that cheesy over the top voice in some of the verses, sounds like he's not using his natural voice which kills it for me. The high belted singing he does though, is frikkin godly.

Second disc is kind of interesting, but yeah Spencer's vocals ruin it for me entirely. Dude is just straight annoying and needs to develop a sense of subtlety. Not really anything new musically either, apart from Priestess and a couple of other interlude parts.

Yup, now that the streams are out I love everything except Spencer. :( I know he has a great voice (see the videos above) - why doesn't he use it in Periphery over that nasally, heady little kid voice?

I've listened through both cds for about 7-8 times now and will probably do it again now. Yeah vocals are sometimes weird sounding, but I got used to it since it was like this on the previous record as well so whatever. The melodies are amazing and I like the flow of the records very much as well.

I'm actually thoroughly confused why they let Spencer do the "prepubescent boy" thing here - his vocals sound fucking awesome on the FFTL stuff (below); they just sound cringeworthy in Periphery. He's the best vocalist that's ever ruined songs for me and it's kind of frustrating to think of the potential being (IMO) wasted.

Yep, much better vocals there. I don't get it, the song "Alpha" is actually one of my favorites ever from Periphery, those whiny vocals though....

Periphery II was much better (vocal wise)

Given both records a couple spins between last night/today when it came out. It's like... laughably, stupidly good at parts. Overall pretty damn good, all misgivings re: the vocals aside. Spencer makes up for the cringe-worthy parts in other areas this time around; the bad:good ratio leans to the right this time.

Don't care about vocals... But damn!! production is phenomenal! The bass tone is probably the best I've heard so far

This is really great stuff. And yeah, the production sounds great, especially the bass.

It's as generic as numetal got a few years in imho. Completely uninspired, calculated and lacking any soul. Pure shit.

Exactly.

Yes it is pretty original and yes they are extremely talented musicians.
But I just don't feel it.
For me it sounds like as if a computer has taken up drums and guitars.

I've spun both albums a couple times and I'm liking it so far. I will admit that for me, the snare is a bit mid-heavy. I would have liked to hear it be a bit more open in the context of the mix. But it hits hard, that's for sure.

I don't really mind Spencers vocals so much anymore. He has great control over his voice, and I like most of the arrangements he puts together. His screaming has improved as well IMHO.

And TBH, I'm over the whole "he sounds like a teenage boy" complaints after 3 albums. You'd think people would've moved past that by now.

Great job to the guys in P, and to Nolly and Ermz for the mix and master.

Just got them and I am pretty pleased. I am able to play both straight through and have no problems with it. I have always been a fan of Spencers voice. And really liked it in the album. Hell, my girlfriend actually grew pretty fond of them since I was working out to the album. She even wanted me to get her a copy haha.

I'm not really interested in this band anymore since like 2010 or so. Looks like they don't get tired of the same fatiguing superior drummer tones. Also I don't think the word "alpha" goes with this band specially considering their fan base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hHsTYdXxY

I'm not really interested in this band anymore since like 2010 or so. Looks like they don't get tired of the same fatiguing superior drummer tones. Also I don't think the word "alpha" goes with this band specially considering their fan base.

I'm like 99% sure Nolly said drums were all natural with the exception on a blended kick (standard stuff TBH). The drums don't sound terribly organic but god does it sound huge and articulate. And please don't get me started on the whole "alpha" male hogwash.

Honestly, it's taken a while for me to figure out how I feel about certain tracks and maybe the entire concept, but overall I'm really impressed. I probably just need to spend some extra time with Spencer's vocals though.